Collaborative 3e Space Opera Setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collaborative 3e Space Opera Setting

Would anyone be interested in working on a collaborative space opera setting for M&M 3e? Anyone may contribute to it (though, obvious troll posts will be ignored), but there are a few rules to the setting itself and its creation that everyone must adhere to:

1. The setting is nihilistic, which means that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value, and that morality does not inherently exist. There are no good or evil species; they all believe themselves to be good (or at the very least not evil) from their point of view.

2. Use the words 'sapient' or 'sapience' when referring to a person, regardless of species, or the attribute which bestows 'personhood' onto a non-human.

3. All species created must have a picture so that we can better visualize them.

4. No teleportation.

5. Natural wormholes exist but are very rare and unstable (you may not be able to travel through one more than once). Artificial wormholes can only be created by extremely technologically advanced beings (precursors, major NPCs).

6. Nothing may travel faster than 1 light year per day (with the possible exception of precursor vessels).

7. No magic or unexplainable superpowers! Psionics is fine, though.

8. While this is not intended to be hard sci-fi, you do need to have at least something of a scientific explanation for what you create.

9. Playable species should not have traits above PL 6.

10. The year 2450 is the setting's present. Do not go beyond this point when adding to its history.

11. When making a post meant to contribute to the setting, do not contradict anything posted before it.

12. No alien hybrid children, unless you provide a good excuse for it.

So is anyone interested in working on this? Are the rules agreeable to you? Does anyone have any suggestions for other rules that might help guide our creative efforts?
    Last edited by Sriseru; 05-24-2016, 02:06 AM.

Re: Collaborative 3e Space Opera Setting

Reserved

Comment

First, what are your thoughts on the other sci-fi settings that have been worked on?

Second, are you more interested in the rp and ideas for the characters, or are you looking for things like the mechanics to design a good system for space ships that's balanced, both around PL 6 and lower individuals, but also when compared to each other?

What about things like space dragons, or giant floating ameoba monsters?

Is this more about the characters (a la star trek), or entire kingdoms/civilizations (a la honor Harrington, or master of orion)?
      Ragtop, Autobot! And Zeanthara, Are You a God?
      Fenix, in the Merge, and Alicia DeVries, in the Cosmic Merge
      Supe of the Justice League Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Nelphine
        First, what are your thoughts on the other sci-fi settings that have been worked on?
        ... Which? Granted, I didn't search the forum thoroughly for other science fiction settings, but most of the conworlds I've seen here seem to be superhero and fantasy settings. If you can point me to the sci-fi settings here that you know of, I'll gladly look through them. Though, in my opinion, there can never be too many sci-fi settings. :3

Second, are you more interested in the rp and ideas for the characters, or are you looking for things like the mechanics to design a good system for space ships that's balanced, both around PL 6 and lower individuals, but also when compared to each other?
        The former, but I won't turn my nose up at the latter.

What about things like space dragons, or giant floating ameoba monsters?
        If people really want to have that, I'm fine with it. If not, that's also fine.

Is this more about the characters (a la star trek), or entire kingdoms/civilizations (a la honor Harrington, or master of orion)?
        The former, but I'd also like some of the latter as well.

Comment

The main ones off hand that I was thinking of are:

http://roninarmy.com/threads/4337-St...-3e-conversion

and

http://roninarmy.com/threads/4422-Al...ction-Settings

I'm personally more into the galactic civilizations so, for the moment I'll pass (no need to make it seem like thats the focus of your thread; once its going a little stronger on the individual side, and it seems to fit, I'd love to join in on the civilization side.)

Comment

Hold on! I think I might have misunderstood your last question; did you mean whether I wanted to start creating characters rather than civilizations? If so, I always start with species, civilizations, and societies before I focus on characters.
            Sorry about that! ^.^;;

And yeah, I did see the 'Alternate Space Travel Rules For Science Fiction Settings' thread. Very useful stuff, but it doesn't exactly look like a setting to me.

Comment

Nah I just got lazy in my writing. I'm more interested in fleshing out how the cultute develops its tech and interacts on a cultural level with other cultures. Individuals characters aren't my focus on sci fi. (Think master of orion style settings.)

Comment

I don't know much about Master of Orion, I'm afraid. But I have played a lot of space 4X games, so I think I know what you mean.
                Anyway, I'd love to work with you and build this setting. If you're willing to, that is. :3

Comment

This is really neat. I'd be more than happy to get in on a grimdark sci-fi collaberation. What, if any, species/civilizations do you have worked up so far?
                  "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Comment

Whoa now! Just because I called it a nihilistic setting doesn't mean that it will be a grimdark setting.
                    What I'm looking to create with the fine people of this forum is a sci-fi setting that has a great deal of variety. One that, like real life, can have many different tones.

As for species and civilizations, I haven't made any yet; I'm still working on them. ^.^;;
                    Last edited by Sriseru; 05-23-2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Ah, thought you were going for a Warhammer 40k type of outlook, but still interested in a collaboration.
                      "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Comment

I'm glad to be working with you, then.

The following questions are directed towards everyone:
                        1. What should humanity's place be in the galaxy? Should humans be a major player or a minor one?
                        2. What should the galaxy's political landscape look like? Should it be a patchwork of empires or alliances? Should it be dominated by a loose federation (like the Citadel Council Mass Effect) or a tight federation (like the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek)? Should it be something completely different altogether?
                        3. Should the species mostly keep to their own kind (example: glorps in the Glorp Empire and fleebs in the Fleeb Republic) or should the demographics be so diverse that every single world has a number of different sapient species?

What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                        X