My Worlds of Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Worlds of Freedom

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks anyway jmberry!

Comment

Ah, praise from Caesar!
      Hmmm if Charles is Caesar (Ah, but WHICH Caesar - Julius? Augustus? Nero?) does that make me Lepidus? (The Triumvir who left the band before they broke each other to pieces and who always had been the Third Wheel).

Comment

Originally posted by Voltron64 View Post
        So Mythic Vistas might potentially take place in the same universe as Earth-Prime?

(And maybe all the non-licensed Green Ronin properties exist in the same multiverse too?)

Cool.
        Basically, how I'm looking at various d20 products (both from Green Ronin and others) is as follows:

Various Freedom City/Emerald City/WoF books or information: The core canon

TAF/Crooks!: Canon, but modified to fit the above

"Paragons": While the Paragons of Freedom setting does exist as part of the multiverse, modified versions of the NPCs and organizations introduced there also exist in WoF - primarily, they're not all paragons (And that term means something different in the main universe anyway). The Imageria is merged with the Oneiros from TAF

"Medieval Player's Guide", "Eternal Rome", "Trojan War", "Testament": Canon in the WoF backstory. Primarily, they depict how magic was viewed and practiced before superheroes made the fantastic overt (MPH, for example, is why Adelard of Bath was a Master Mage).

"Hamunaptra": A bit more detail on what Egyptian mages were like, but otherwise more applicable for the Freeport universe where Khemti exists.

I don't own any other of the high or heroic fantasy books GR put out, or any Freeport supplements, so the world of Freeport exists, but it's not something that would ever come up

"Damnation Decade": Mainly an idea of what a low-powered Bronze Age campaign would be like. The Dervos do exist, and the Kreelak stuff is largely folded into the Serpent Men. The Nagathrites might be used, but I'm unsure where.

WotC D20 Modern: The Aleerin, Dralasites, Sesheyans, T'sa, Vrusk, Weren, and Yazirians (from d20 Future) all exist in the Galaxy, largely as former members of the Lor Republic. The Fraal (from Future and Dark Matter) also exist, but see my entry on the Serpent People for their origins here. The Spanthi (from the D20 Apocalypse "Plague World" setting) are another alien species that runs around the Milky Way. I thought about using stuff from Urban Arcana, but decided to limit it to the Next-Gen occasionally finding themselves fighting D&D monsters the Imageria spat out.

HED!: Exists in its own cosmology. Most of the time...

Comment

Some very interesting ideas, here.
          Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, [url=https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/618254]Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles[/url].

Comment

The Master Mage list on page 6 has now been updated to reflect Nostradamus's position (this now gives Cellini a definitive term of 1566 to 1571)

Comment

Originally posted by jmberry View Post
              The Golden Age, Part 1

See here for my previous entry
              The Golden Age, Part 2

The Allies of Freedom
              December 1941-April 1945
              ... were not officially called that during the war. As far as official documents from the various Allied governments are concerned, the team was named The Victory Legion, and didn't come into existence until February of 1942. The name the original five had worked under during those two "freelance" months, however, is the term that stuck (the tie-in comic series took the middle route of calling itself The Victory Legion, Allies of Freedom!, for the record).

The team's initial time was rough. The five survivors of Utska had a hard fight getting from occupied Poland to the United Kingdom, but during that time they got to know each other's powers, personalities, tactics, and emotions - they might not have gotten along at first, but by the time they arrived at Dover the Allies knew they could trust each other, and is was an easy matter to welcome the newly arrived Sergeant Shrapnel.

Then came the official formation of the Victory Legion in February, and the arrival of the other Americans. Now, Swing-Shift got on well enough with everyone, and Doc Mesmer's magical knowledge was immensely helpful for Lady Celtic and the twins (without access to any training, they had been running on instinct and luck), but Everyman ... yeah, his sense of American Exceptionalism rubbed everyone the wrong way - and he was an isolationist to boot. And he really could not stand taking orders from a "dame" like La Renard Rogue. The arrival of Human Tank (and Gunner!) ameliorated the strained feelings somewhat, and by October the AF had settled into a working relationship ("Let Everyman do what he wants, then Amelie can tell us the real plan").

Then Everyman disappeared in 1943, and Dr. Geistmann's experiments started bearing fruit. The AF managed to combat this by recruiting two superpowered members of the French Resistance who hadn't been at Utska (both because Guillotine didn't like them) and so avoided both being killed and joining the initial team. One was the druidic Breton Menhir, who was distrusted both by his own people for going against the pro-Vichy policy they had adopted, and by the French for being Breton, but fought the Nazis all the same. The other was none other than the Count of St. Germain himself, Voltaire's legendary "Wonderman." It was St. Germain who developed the machine that imprisoned V3 in a "Void Dimension" (actually the Annihilation Zone), the same machine that Centurion would later use to neutralize Superior and remains in his sanctum to this day.

Then came March, 1945. The Ubersoldaten were falling apart - some were dead, some were captured, and some were fleeing to Berlin in a misguided belief of making a heroic last stand. Kantor, Frankenstein, Iron Cross II, and their remaining followers had a different plan, however. Iron Cross led his forces in an all out attack on London. It was a doomed assault - the combined might of the AF and the Defenders of the Crown saw to that, even when Iron Cross pulled V3 out of the Annihilation Zone. The battle saw the deaths of Blitzkrieg, Bion, and V3 on the Axis side, but Swing-Shift fell at the hands of Iron Cross, who leaked Kantor's location before he fled.

This time it was La Renard Rogue who fell into the trap that St. Germain and Doc Mesmer warned her about. Of the eight who went, only Human Tank and Gunner returned. With Germany's surrender, the Victory Legion was officially dissolved, and the surviving Allies of Freedom went their separate ways.

The original five members were La Renard Rogue (France), Lady Celtic (UK), Spitfire Jones (UK), White Rose (Ashkenazi), and White Thorn (Ashkenazi). Sergeant Shrapnel (US) joined later, forming what fans call the "Core Six."

Later members were Everyman I (US), Swing-Shift (US), Doc Mesmer (US), Human Tank (US), Ouijia Kid (US), Gunner (US), Menhir (Brittany), and The Comte Saint-Germain (???).

Note: In Crooks!, Menhir is listed as British, however, the surplus of British superheroes and his name led me to change his nationality. Brittany was dominated by a pro-Nazi faction during the war (they believed Brittany would be granted independence by the Germans), although there was also a smaller pro-Free French movement as well.

Comment

Keep up the good work Mr Berry!

Comment

So you all may be wondering what's been going on?

Well, it isn't for lack of interest or inspiration, but the past few times I've tried to write, the board has for some reason seen fit to suddenly transition to a "no connection" page or something similar when I'm typing up a full entry. I tend to write everything down in the posts themselves, so this costs me an hour or so of work. If this was just one time I could deal with it, but it's happened so much in the past three months that its proven to be a real enthusiasm-killer. I don't know if this is a problem unique to Internet Explorer or what, but I'll return to this once New Year's hits, since I'll need time to write stuff out in Word first.

Comment

there is a team in Earth-Prime's Japan called the Mighty Miracle Guardians
                    Not big on that name. Checking fails to find any non-horrible way to back translate it. It's going to look like an imperial government agency at the very best due to the length for starters.

I'd use "great" over "mighty" (大 is very natural sounding and looking to start something with).

Miracle has lots of issues, even if you're going for "Miraculous".

"Guardians" doesn't seem to be something you can get naturally in the sense you are looking for. 防衛隊 is politically charged and other ways of getting it don't work with the other words you have (you have a string of 3 adjectives).

Writing the English name phoneticlly just means there's no reason for the title to look so "foreign".

Comment

Originally posted by chosenredead View Post
                      Not big on that name. Checking fails to find any non-horrible way to back translate it. It's going to look like an imperial government agency at the very best due to the length for starters.

I'd use "great" over "mighty" (大 is very natural sounding and looking to start something with).

Miracle has lots of issues, even if you're going for "Miraculous".

"Guardians" doesn't seem to be something you can get naturally in the sense you are looking for. 防衛隊 is politically charged and other ways of getting it don't work with the other words you have (you have a string of 3 adjectives).

Writing the English name phoneticlly just means there's no reason for the title to look so "foreign".
                      The title was chosen to represent a rushed and Americanized "translation" of something Japanese ala so much of the second-rate stuff that flooded the book and dvd shelves when the anime craze hit the American shore. Same with the member names. My Japanese students I was teaching at the time loved it. Trivia - their manager's name came from two of my students, one's family name and the other's American "nickname" he chose to use while over here. Good kids. One of them wrote out the kanji I used for the Kage-Do in TAF: Fires of War.

Comment

OK then, a native speaker definitely knows better than me.

Comment

You might want to update the index post on page 1.

Comment

Working...
                          X