Claremont Academy Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claremont Academy Questions

One of these days I'd like to try running a Hero High Campaign and there are a few things I'd like to ask about the Freedom Verse's number one school: Claremont Academy. Yeah with the new Hero High book on the way some or all of these questions might get addressed or be somehow rendered moot, or heck maybe I just missed something in my 2nd Ed. book, but I figured I'd ask anyways.
    • Exclusivity: Private schools in general have their rights to exclusivity, but the previous Hero High book made mention that Duncan made it a "Super's only" school.
      1. Does the public know that supers attend the school?
      2. Is the public aware of the "Supers only" part, or are they just aware that Claremont's entry requirements got inexplicably stricter?
      3. Are they aware of the Next-Gen's affiliation with the school? I would think that this would bring the school a lot of unwanted scrutiny, yet the freedom city book mentions Duncan publicly discouraging "extra-curricular" activities (even while secretly training them harder).
    • Grade Years: If I'm looking at the timeline correctly, some of the Next-Gen have been a part of the team for more than a four-year high school term. Does Claremont cover more than High School? Or are there reasons the Next-Gen have been around for longer? Or am I simply missing the mark completely somewhere?
    • Curriculum: It's made pretty clear that Duncan and staff are out to teach students not only a standard education, but to also teach them to control their powers and/or train them. How well-known outside of the school is this curriculum?
    • Secrecy: Duncan obviously goes to great length to keep some secrecy on the campus.
      1. Do you suppose the students keep their enrollment a secret? Or just whatever super-powers/super-identities they have?
      2. What about students who can't hide their powers?
      3. How aware are the other students of each other's identities?

I may have other questions but those are the ones I have off the top of my head.
    Builds by a Geek

GM of Geek's Freedom Comics:
    New Freedom Comics: Time of Crisis

Re: Claremont Academy Questions

As someone who has ran a teen hero game & used Hero High a fair amount, I'll try my best to answer your questions.
    • Exclusivity

1. No, the public doesn't know it's a school for supers.
    2. The public thinks that Claremont is incredibly difficult to get into.
    3. No they are not.

• Grade Years:

1. There wasn't a set timeline for when the members of Next-Gen started going to Claremont, so that's probably what's throwing you off. I do know that in the updated books the kids have graduated and moved on.

• Curriculum: The curriculum isn't known outside of the school.
    • Secrecy:

1. I went with the idea that when out in the town the students tried to keep their heroic identities secret to help the school maintain its cover.
    2. Again, I went with the idea that Duncan supplied them with an image inducer to appear normal when outside of the school grounds.
    3. Since all of the students are there to get help with their powers as well as get a "normal high school experience" I would think that they were all aware of the other students identities (and the Next-Gen was considered the cool kids of the school because of their heroic exploits).

Comment

Solid answers for the most part thank you.

Only thing is that for my first question I wasn't asking if it was known as a "school for supers," I was really asking if it was publicly known whether kids with super powers attend that school or not.
      Builds by a Geek

GM of Geek's Freedom Comics:
      New Freedom Comics: Time of Crisis

Comment

Originally posted by Nintendogeek01 View Post

Only thing is that for my first question I wasn't asking if it was known as a "school for supers," I was really asking if it was publicly known whether kids with super powers attend that school or not.
        Glad to help.

As for the clarification on the first question - that would be no, it isn't publically known that kids with powers attend the school.

Comment

The beauty of Hero High is that it gives you lots of ways to customise a teen hero game so you can design your school and students the way you like - so if you want a sky high type publicly known meta-training facility, a Secret Xaviers school with mutants hiding their abilities or a teen high school version of PS238 - see http://ps238.nodwick.com/ (a "normal" school with a secret section for training meta-humans, aliens etc.) you can.

In my campaign Claremont Academy is a boarding school (set in Wessex in the UK near the village of St. Mary Mede) with over 500 students, half of which live in on the school grounds and within that we have about 50 powered students learning how to control their abilities secretly in special classes held beneath the school itself. I like the idea of my players having to hide their identity and the complications of crushes and bullying by normal schoolmates but if that's not your scene then use Claremont as described in Hero High or alter according to what is most fun for you and your players. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SignalGK View Post
            In my campaign Claremont Academy is a boarding school (set in Wessex in the UK near the village of St. Mary Mede)
            Cute. I see what you did there. Cute.
            Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, [url=https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/618254]Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles[/url].

Comment

Regarding whether or not kids would keep it a secret, depends on the student. Most would keep the powers part on the down-low. Some, however, could blurt it out inadvertently. I'm thinking primarily of Changeling and Whoop-Ant from the Alterniteens; the former because she's probably unfamiliar with human customs of deceit, and the latter because he's Whoop-Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by Davies View Post
                Cute. I see what you did there. Cute.
                Yes, St. Mary Mede's a small country market town and often listed as murder capital of the UK. In 1891 St. Mary Mede was the scene of a murder of a young lady highly reminiscent of the butchery carried out by Jack the Ripper a couple of years earlier. The murderer was never found and the circumstance behind the murder was hushed up to prevent a public outcry.​

On the 13th October 1913 the town of St. Mary Mede and St. Thomas Aquinas’ School witnessed a number of mysterious disappearances with people claiming that they saw the missing people vanish before their eyes in a shroud of green light. The disappearances ended at the same time as the disappearance of one of the teachers, John Smith the following morning.​

​It should be noted that local rumour also records that one of the housemaids, Martha apparently disappeared from the school at the same time and that there had been complaints about over familiarity between Martha and Mr Smith in the days prior.​

The town was again in the media spotlight in the 1930’s when a local spinster, Miss Maple was eventually arrested and charged with the murder of at least 20 people. This the first example of a murderer changing their modus operandi every time though in each case she managed to frame someone else for the murder. Several innocent people were hanged before Miss Maple was finally arrested and eventually hanged herself. At the trial, it became clear that in almost every murder, she had been actively involved in “investigating” her own murder cases; including interfering with incriminating evidence. In several high profile cases the local Police allowed her to directly accuse her chosen “murderers” and she was the prime witness in their court cases.​

​Today her cottage has been turned into a Murder Museum; much to the annoyance of local residents who would rather the world forgot their most famous resident.​

(I have a tendency to steal background and characters from multiple sources)...
                Last edited by SignalGK; 04-02-2016, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SignalGK View Post
                  The town was again in the media spotlight in the 1930’s when a local spinster, Miss Maple was eventually arrested and charged with the murder of at least 20 people. This the first example of a murderer changing their modus operandi every time though in each case she managed to frame someone else for the murder. Several innocent people were hanged before Miss Maple was finally arrested and eventually hanged herself. At the trial, it became clear that in almost every murder, she had been actively involved in “investigating” her own murder cases; including interfering with incriminating evidence. In several high profile cases the local Police allowed her to directly accuse her chosen “murderers” and she was the prime witness in their court cases.​
                  Oh my f***! A real "small town with an inexplicable murder rate with an old person who isn't police investigating"! And with a sensible reason why!
                  Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 04-03-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
                    Oh my f***! A real "small town with an inexplicable murder rate with an old person who isn't police investigating"! And with a sensible reason why!
                    Thanks, as an ex-cop the Miss Marple type character always annoyed me...

Comment

Originally posted by Nintendogeek01 View Post

having checked my copy of hero high, I couldn't find anything concrete, but the impression I got was that Claremont got outed as a super-school in the wake of Time of Vengeance. maybe it was in one of the super-vision articles during the leadup

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
                        having checked my copy of hero high, I couldn't find anything concrete, but the impression I got was that Claremont got outed as a super-school in the wake of Time of Vengeance. maybe it was in one of the super-vision articles during the leadup
                        No. In Hero High, Duncan Summers decided to make it exclusively for super students, so they transferred the non-powered students out as a preventative measure so something like that never happened again putting normal kids at risk. Unfortunately, this had to effect of making the school seem even MORE exclusive and fancy, so various unaware rich families are inundating the school with offers to get their kids in so they can boost their social standing among snobs.

Comment

Working...
                        X