Aberrant adaptation for 3E?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant adaptation for 3E?

I found some posts on the old forum for adapting White Wolf's* Aberrant setting to 2E M&M, but I'm wondering if anyone's tinkered with it for 3rd Edition? As I see it, the main thing to adapt is taint. In contrast Quantum points can go out the window if you're adapting over to M&M, since that level of resource expenditure to use your own powers is out-of-genre anyway, and M&M handles powers far better than Aberrant did. Taint though is majorly setting relevant so it's the thing that needs M&M workable rules.

*The edition that exists was White Wolf's. Onyx Path owns the property outright now (not a property they licensed, ala Exalted or the World of Darkness) and has a new edition in the works.

Re: Aberrant adaptation for 3E?

I never played Aberrant, but the 3E Supernatural sourcebook included rules for Corruption.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

I love Aberrant, and I think the Storyteller system was perfect for the grim nature of the setting. The first thing that comes to my head when adapting it to M&M though is, somehow, making Corruption linked to the PL, so the more power you have, the more corrupt you get. This Corruption stat should define the minimum complications you must have to play, but I would make a distinction between common Complications (or Hero Complications) and Corrupted Complications, where the last ones cannot actually give the players HPs, being truly drawbacks.

Comment

Plus, working up mechanics for the Chrysalis process of the Teragen ought to be interesting...
        The Architecturae: coming soon.|\__/|The Forever Tree:|\__/|The Forever Tree (the multiverse).\__/The Forever Tree (Earth-G).\__/Forever Tree NPCs.|\__/|The Multi-Faceted Gem: coming soon.|\__/|World-And-Maze:\__/World-and-Maze (the multiverse).

The Realms of Idrifaulo.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturno View Post
          I love Aberrant, and I think the Storyteller system was perfect for the grim nature of the setting. The first thing that comes to my head when adapting it to M&M though is, somehow, making Corruption linked to the PL, so the more power you have, the more corrupt you get. This Corruption stat should define the minimum complications you must have to play, but I would make a distinction between common Complications (or Hero Complications) and Corrupted Complications, where the last ones cannot actually give the players HPs, being truly drawbacks.
          Eh, the classic Storyteller system doesn't scale well at that power level (the StoryPATH system that the new edition will run on, as will the new edition of Scion, may be fantastic! I know some of the people working on it and they're great, so I'm optimistic) And the resource management on Quantum creates this weird binary where powers run out really fast vs mega-attributes which don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoid View Post
            Plus, working up mechanics for the Chrysalis process of the Teragen ought to be interesting...
            As a side note, one of the things I really want out of the new edition - if Chrysalis is still a thing and works the same way, and Divas Mal is coming out of his 2nd Chrysalis (so entering his third stage)... I really need them to actually list the metric ton of non-punitive mutations he's supposed to have then.

Comment

I agree that Storyteller can't handle well this amount of power, but Aberrant has this essence of mortality common in the other settings of the genre, and I think WW's system is the best for it, even if other system's mechanics may be better, the feeling isn't the same. I don't know how to express myself clearly on this, so let's say it is like comparing playing cyberpunk with GURPS and with any other system, to me only the first feels genuine. Perhaps it is nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                I never played Aberrant, but the 3E Supernatural sourcebook included rules for Corruption.
                Although 2e, Paragons also has rules for taint.

Comment

Aberrant was the main reason for me to have some interest for M&M, since Aberrant D20 was ... not good, to say the least, so I had more than a few thoughts about this (before dropping the issue completely lol).

I'd say Corruption rules from Supernatural Handbook (but you also can find them in M&M2's Paragons campaign setting which is basically Aberrant with optional mysticism) can handle the issue pretty well, if you link them to Extra Effort rules.

About the Quantum Pool, this is a inheritance of all the Blood/Gnosis/Arete pool from classical Storyteller System, something White Wolf Aberrant certainly needed but we might say imho is something unappropriate to the genre. Drop it altogether, but consider including a general Power Loss Complication for novas who overuse their abilities.

There should be a specific template for all novas, including Immunity 1 (own powers), Senses 1 (Detect : Quantum Energy), and most certainly partial immunity to poison, starvation and thirst and some other things.

Make Quantum the one and only power descriptor, apart maybe the occasional technology-descripted power. Actually, if you plan to stick closely to Aberrant original universe, there will be no access to any kind of power for non-Inspired characters and the only descriptors available should be Quantum for Exomorphs, Noetic for psys (basically absent of Aberrant setting) and ... just drop completely Paramorphs, even game's author did not agree about what the heck it was Even gadgets from the Nova Age are actually quantum effects, in fact.
                  But if you want a more Adventure ! flavored campaign setting, you might allow Psychics or even Daredevils in your game, which you can awesomely achieve with M&M. "Training", "luck" might then suit some "power" descriptors (which might or might not be actual "real" powers if you consider Daredevils are actually paramorphs).
                  An interesting twist might be to allow Quantum powers "tainted", with Taint descriptor. The players might buy them for cheaper cost, but with some side-effects tbd when using them.

It is certainly wiser to start with new characters instead of trying some convertion from previous pcs, since some of their powers will skyrocket in effectiveness (like Quantum Imprint and Quantum Vampire) while others might prove less efficient (MegaAbilities and Senses powers might prove to be costier to achieve similar effect).
                  Last edited by Gustaffson; 01-29-2016, 03:57 AM.

Comment

I think M&M (and even more 3rd) is not really an evolutive system. I don't mean it as a critic at all. You just build your dream superhero from the beginning, then make it do better what he does (yes there are many ways to counter that fact, yes this is an exaggeration, just tag along) while Aberrant tells the tale of humanhood to novahood, then to godhood. This might turn out to be the most difficult thing to translate in M&M3 system.
                    (For some unknown reason I had to double post to finish this, sorry).

Comment

Working...
                    X