Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 100 Chosen: ("Amalgamated Marvel/DC" setting thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 100 Chosen: ("Amalgamated Marvel/DC" setting thread)

One of my favorite threads over on the old Atomic Think tank was this one: http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic...269&start=1170

It was a simple merger of the Marvel and DC universes, but it led to some interesting ideas and interplay, so I thought it might be fun to revisit. But maybe to tweak it slightly?

Its no secret both of those settings have some heavy rosters, and some redundancies occur over time, (fun redundancies, like Spider-Man/Spider-Gwen, but still, redundant) so what would happen if in some form of Infinite Secret War crisis, one planet would be left standing, and the two worlds only got to choose 50 characters from each "world" to salvage?

Mind you, I'd imagine some "supporting cast" would carry over, and this would mostly just stick to SuperHeroes/SuperVillains/Title Characters but still, I was curious, who would you all consider "worth saving"?

Would you open wild card spots for other "hero" universes like Image, Valiant, etc? Is 100 simply too restrictive a number? Should it be 100 Heroes and 100 Villains?

Obviously, it's just an idea, and I haven't figured out hard set rules for how to even make the choices, or how many choices, but I thought it might be worth discussing with other people who like comics.

Re: The 100 Chosen: ("Amalgamated Marvel/DC" setting thread)

An offline friend of mine is playing a PbP online with this premise. Basically: a malevolent cosmic imp unevenly merged the two Earths, and all sorts of craziness ensues.
    The Architecturae: coming soon.|\__/|The Forever Tree:|\__/|The Forever Tree (the multiverse).\__/The Forever Tree (Earth-G).\__/Forever Tree NPCs.|\__/|The Multi-Faceted Gem: coming soon.|\__/|World-And-Maze:\__/World-and-Maze (the multiverse).

The Realms of Idrifaulo.

Comment

Top of my list? Probably J. Jonah Jameson to berate and question any and all heroes in a delightfully blowharded (totally a word now) fashion.

Comment

That's an interesting choice, for sure. He was an example of what I meant by "supporting cast" , because I'd think he'd normally link in with the selection of Spider-Man, but let's run with it as saying nothing is "linked" and JJJ is the very first choice.

1. J. Jonah Jameson. - Civilian foil for superheroes.

I think that leads to who would be my normal number one pick, Spider-Man. He's a perfect middle point between human nature and super powers, IMO, and is one of the more relatable characters of all time. He loses a bit by not including his "civilian Social circle" but in theory, any character can fit that role.

2. Spider-Man - Relatable Superhuman.

Any picks for number 3?

Comment

Since we are already on Spiderman characters: Kraven the Hunter -- no explanation needed here

Doc Oct
          Kingpin

Which of course leads to Daredevil as well

So many other Spiderman villains, but so very few that just absolutely HAVE TO make the list, most others are more honorable mentions to me.

Doom -- a wonderful villain that occasionally helps heroes not because he is good but because "I can't rule the world if someone else blows it up first"

Prof. X -- world's greatest psychic plus leader of a group belonging to an oppressed minority who refuses to give up on humanity and his dream of peaceful coexistence

which leads directly to Magneto -- great anti hero who has seen how cruel humanity can be and will protect his people from them at any cost

Obviously a few X-Men would make the list but which ones depends largely on who else is on the list as many of them over lop with other characters from other teams, but let's start with the classic original roster.

Beast -- Physically powerful but a pacifist in many ways, scholar

Jean Gray/Phoenix -- unbridled power as the Phoenix if nothing else, plus the never ending love triangle if you bring Wolverine and Cyclops along as well

Ice Man -- lack luster for a long time, but team comedian and eventually evolved his powers into some pretty fun applications

Angel/Archangel -- especially as Archangel a sign of how a hero can be twisted into something else

Cyclops -- (at least until recent history) eternal optimist and believer in Prof. X's dream, and team leader not to mention powerful in his own right

Cyclops possibly steps on the next entry in some ways as team leader, but probably plenty of room for both.

Captain America -- Leader and inspiration to the public and his comrades alike and someone who refuses to back down from his ideals even when I puts him trading blows with his own friends or government. Honestly if you only wanted 1 of them, I'd take Cap over Cyclops personally

Just to round out any X-Men nomination while we are here

Kitty Pride -- fan loved character that they have tried to replicate a few times without success
          Nightcrawler -- One of the examples of a mutant that is hard to hide, but still doesn't hate people and had a colorful personality
          Storm -- former thief, good back story, weather controller, also capable as a team leader hard to pass up, bad ass at times
          maybe Bishop as the grizzled vision from the future of what can go wrong
          Wolverine -- love triangle with Jean and Cyclops plus become a much deeper character after they ripped if adamantium out in the 90's, the grissled old man and cynic who just never can seem to walk away and say to hell with everyone as much as he wants to half the time
          Juggernaut -- great villain with an unending grudge against his brother
          Sentinels -- great villains and a sign of humanity's worst fear as far as mutants are concerned
          William Stryker -- the mirror image of magneto in many ways. Sees a war between humans and mutants and is determined that wiping out the other side is the only way to save humanity

Since we had Cap already let's move on to Avenger's that make the list

Iron Man -- especially some of the older comic representations of the character that had to struggle against his own humanity and over come it to be a hero (alcohol, drugs, etc.) in almost the exact opposite respect as Spiderman does since Stark's problems are mainly self imposed

Hulk -- just because it really is hard to build a list like this and leave him off. The iconic powerhouse character.

Thor -- god, warrior, bad ass, mostly friendly rival with Hulk over who is stronger

Black Panther

Nick Fury -- often a master manipulator behind the scenes, Iron man's Line describing him from Avengers "He's THE spy, his secrets have secrets"

Red Skull -- if nothing else as Cap's nemesis, plus has his own merits as well as a villain

Hawkeye -- just for the ridiculousness of "the guy with the bow" in the middle of all that craziness. Did really love that Avengers 2 picked fun at that a little with him. Might leave him off in favor of Green Arrow from the DC side, but I think there is room for both.
          Black Widow -- spy, seductress, again badass normal
          While we are on bad ass normals: Punisher is hard to pass up, an anti-hero so far gone that while most won't try to stop him Cap didn't want his help even in the middle of Civil War

On the Marvel side I can think of a ton of honorable mentions, but I think that gets most of my must haves.

On to the DC side of the list:

Superman -- because well how can you not
          Batman -- THE ultimate bad ass normal, detective, strategist, doesn't just have a Plan B but C,D,E,F,G, and H as well and that's on a bad day
          Round out DC's big 3 and a great example of chicks kicking butt: Wonder Woman
          Flash -- need at least 1 speedster, plus the joke cracking wise guy
          possibly back to Marvel for a quick sec (no pun intended) for Quick Silver just for the rivalry between him and Flash from previous cross overs, kinda like the Hulk Thor rivalry

Aquaman -- just because so many people underrate him constantly and I see him more iconic for the undersea hero than Namor

Green Lantern (specifically Hal Jordan preferably) -- not really any explanation needed

Manhunter always seemed like an "also ran" to me with the rest of the JLA, and could take or leave the Hawks

Robin/Nightwing -- the former side kick that made a name for himself, but still can't quite escape the shadow of his mentor

Lex Luthor -- was there any doubt he would make anyone's list?

Joker -- against, any doubt?

Cheetah -- if we have the big 3 we need some of the biggest rivals for each don't we, and I find her more versatile for use with other heroes as well than Ares.

Deathstroke -- is any explanation really needed here?

Catwoman -- another classic Batman rival plus love interest and at times anti-hero more than villain

Riddler -- just because I always found him good for a laugh. If he would just focus on do the job and get out instead of elaborate plots he might even best the bat occasionally

Bane -- Especially if we remember that he is more than a dumb brute. How can we pass up the man the broke the Batman?

Green Arrow -- may seem slightly redundant with Hawkeye, but a lot of backstory and rivals to play with. Honestly if I could only pick one of them it would be Green Arrow over Hawkeye

Black Canary -- bad ass chick and the love story between her and Oliver

Malcolm Merlin -- Oliver needs his big rival as well, plus a coll villain at times

John Constantine -- messed up (bordering at time on broken) hero? Besides someone has to keep the supernatural in check and Dr. Fate always seemed more like a plot device than a character to me.

While we are on magic: Zatanna even though again borders on being a walking plot device at times

Darkseid -- just too good of a villain to pass up

Doomsday -- against too good of a villain to pass up, and someone who brings a real challenge to the table even for your heavy hitters (Superman, Hulk, etc.)

Brainiac -- again wonderful villain for when you need a major big bad every now and then

Batman Beyond (Terry McGinnis) -- in many ways a more human version of batman (although they just HAD to make him Bruce's son didn't they?)

Killer Frost -- fun villain without being too over the top

Harley Quinn -- how can you not?

Captain Marvel -- what happens when you give a kid great power, well sometimes it goes right. So many great opportunities for character stories too because at heart he is still a kid underneath it all. Almost Spiderman cranked up to 11 in some ways.

Since we have Captain Marvel have to include Black Adam as well.
          Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

I agree with almost all of your choices, except I'd ditch Kraven for Green Goblin in a split second. Kraven's had -one- good story arc that "made his rep" but even since returning hasn't really amounted for much.

Pointing out how quickly slots can diminish, your list alone takes us from 2 to the 50 mark, and it's decidedly more heroes than villains.

I think you nailed most of the Iconic X-Men, the only one I'd debate dropping would be Shadowcat, but she'd still remain on the current life raft list.

I found it notable you didn't include the Fantastic Four, they just strike me as an auto pick, but their stock has been -way- diminished as of late, so I'm also not surprised.

I'd honestly include Deadpool, especially for any setting where he can encounter Deathstroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormson View Post
              I agree with almost all of your choices, except I'd ditch Kraven for Green Goblin in a split second. Kraven's had -one- good story arc that "made his rep" but even since returning hasn't really amounted for much.

Pointing out how quickly slots can diminish, your list alone takes us from 2 to the 50 mark, and it's decidedly more heroes than villains.

I think you nailed most of the Iconic X-Men, the only one I'd debate dropping would be Shadowcat, but she'd still remain on the current life raft list.

I found it notable you didn't include the Fantastic Four, they just strike me as an auto pick, but their stock has been -way- diminished as of late, so I'm also not surprised.

I'd honestly include Deadpool, especially for any setting where he can encounter Deathstroke.
              Agree that Green Goblin should be in the list as well. I was also trying to not use up all the slots, although apparently I used more than I realized. Oh yes while we are at it, Ra's has to make the villain list as well.

I considered the FF. I mean, they are icons and the only really lasting marriage in the Marvel universe too. I just was never a huge fan for some reason.

Personally Deadpool has always annoyed me to no end, although again I did consider him just because he is so well known.

I agree that more villains are needed. I was trying to stick to some of the truly iconic villains without going into jobbers or getting into the intergalactic threats too much. Honestly that made me think twice before adding Darkseid and Doomsday to the list already, and like some of the others mentioned Galactus approaches being more of a plot device than a character anytime he shows up. Of course, guys like Ra's, Stryker, Magneto, Darkseid, Deathstroke, Lex, and some of the others all come with effectively armies or minions. Even if your support structures don't come over with them, they would just recruit and rebuild in the new world. This fills you with about as many jobbers as you could ever need.

Also when you have several street level antiheroes and the X-Men often being seen by authorities as an outlaw group reduces the need for super villains a lot. For the street level guys (including Batman in many ways) ordinary crime (especially organized crime and terrorists) make good villains without taking up slots on the list.
              Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
              [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Meh. Green Goblin is overrated. Marvel is always changing him to ape other, better villains.

Another choice- Mr. Mxyzptlk. Because he's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by King Snarf View Post
                  Meh. Green Goblin is overrated. Marvel is always changing him to ape other, better villains.

Another choice- Mr. Mxyzptlk. Because he's awesome.
                  There was a scene in a Superman comic IIRC, where Mxy is also the Impossible Man. A couple of panels showing him with the Fantatsic Four - we only see their boots and a bit of Thing`s leg - and he comments about having fun with his Fantastic new friends...

anyhoot, all that to say that Myx could be the cause of the mess...
                  [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Bladewind View Post
                    anyhoot, all that to say that Myx could be the cause of the mess...
                    Or Bat-Mite. "Crossovers are the best!"

Comment

If I had to pick the heroes of DC it would be 35. the same for Marvel to be absolutely Fair. though I'm not really that into marvel as I am DC.
                      35 DC heroic characters

DC:
                      Justice League
                      -Superman
                      -Batman
                      -Wonder Woman
                      -Green Lantern(Hal Jordan)
                      -Aquaman
                      -Flash
                      -Martian Manhunter
                      -Cybrog
                      -Firestorm
                      -Green Arrow
                      -Captain Atom
                      -Shazam

Batfamily:
                      -Nightwing
                      -Red Robin
                      -Robin
                      -Batgirl(Barbara Gordon)
                      -Red Hood

SuperFamily:
                      -Supergirl
                      -Superboy

WonderFamily:
                      -Wonder Girl
                      -Donna Troy

Flash Family:
                      -Kid Flash

Green lantern Core:
                      -Guy
                      -John
                      -Kyle

Titans
                      -Beat boy
                      -Star fire
                      -Aqualad
                      -Miss Martian
                      -Red Arrow
                      -Speedy
                      -Raven
                      -Mary Marvel
                      -Hawk
                      -Dove

Comment

Power Pack. There's plenty of teenage heroes on both sides, but Power Pack, Molly and Billy are the only ones pre-teen ones that aren't sidekicks.

Comment

That is definitely an outsider choice that still makes perfect sense, as there are some concepts that just become redundant, but they're a rarely explored concept.

Comment

That and, aside from Julie, their powers are very unique.

Comment

I seem to recall a statement in the Original Post about 'supporting cast coming along' without upping the number count, or am I imagining that? To my mind, that means if we take Spidey, we get JJJ.

Also are we going patchwork, 'this is different' style Amalgamation or 'this world just is this way' Amalgamation? I prefer the later, even though it means tweaking characters history, because it feels more coheirant rather than a puzzle/crisis/event that needs to be resolved (ala Battleworld from Marvel's most recent Secret Wars event).

Of course, I tend to follow conservation of details in such matters; if you have Superman & Spiderman then Triple J can also fufill the Gordon Godfry role for Supes, rather than there be two people doing the same thing. But that could just be me; although I do seem to recall when DC & Marvel did their Amalgam Universe, (which had some interesting ideas but some questionable ones as well), after the whole Vs. line, they had the Skrulls also be the Martians. I thought that was neat and if the FF show up here I'd really like them to team up with MM to fight off the White Martian/Skrull Invasions...

Ok, clearly I'm way too into that; sorry...will be quiet now.

Comment

Working...
                              X