Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I (Still) Hate It Here: Scope Casanova's Rough Guide to Earth-Prime

Maximilian Mars, Updated

Yes, it's definitely Maximilian, not Max. If he had any friends, he might let them call him Max, but he generally keeps people at a sufficient distance that they call him Mr. Mars or, more frequently, "Mars!!" (Complete with multiple exclamation marks.) He's often said that he could have been an incredible supervillain, but that he lacked the necessary cruelty to be a really effective criminal. What he doesn't say nearly as often, but has come to realize, is that he could also have been an incredible superhero ... but that he lacks the necessary selflessness to be a really effective champion of mankind.

He makes an effort, though. After the defeat of Tellax, he has continued to serve as the primary sponsor of the Sentinels, and act as their go-to guy for technological assistance ... and all the while he has been keeping an eye open for any possible advantage he could get from the relationship. For example, by studying Vortex's powers, Mars has managed to develop a way to duplicate some of the teleportation effects Vortex uses on a much more limited scale, allowing someone to blink to a location with a functioning 'beacon', as he dubs the space/time distorter which is an integral part of the system. It's potentially very useful as a life-saving device, once he works out all of the bugs ... like the way that the 'beacon' sometimes attracts monsters from outside reality when it's functioning. But since he can't work out those bugs unless he's alive to do so, it's really necessary to keep on using the system as a way of ensuring that he can always escape from a situation that gets a little hairy.

Beyond that, he's recently developed a working relationship with Augustus Silber and learned of the existence of the Initiative. The parallels between his own life and Silber's sometimes astonish him, although he's uncomfortable at the realization that Silber never even briefly worked with the Initiative, unlike his own association with the Chamber. Still, the Initiative is clearly a threat to his ambitions and to things that he cares about, so he's definitely going to be working to bring it down. He'd never even consider joining up with it to gain a better understanding solely to bring it down, and anyway, they'd never contact him and offer him membership, right?

Right?

<uncomfortable silence>

Anyway ... if he's going to be dealing with such people, he wants to do so from a position of strength, so lately he's begun wearing some specially designed gadgets that should afford him some protection if superheroic battles start in his general area. Not that he's looking forward to it or anything. Not that he remembers how much fun it used to be to use nothing but his wits to overcome such threats, and the thrill of ...

Um ...

He's a good guy, now. Really.

Code:
    Add the following powers to Mars' character sheet, from SECRETS OF EMERALD CITY, p. 24

Force Field: Sustained Impervious Protection 10, Subtle; Sustained Immunity 10 (life support); Impervious Will 8
    Weapons Systems: Array (24 points)
     Electro-Stunner: Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated)
     High-Intensity Stunner Discharge: Reaction Damage 6 (touched)
    Blinkshift Tech: Easy Extended Teleport 3, Limited to Specific Location (Hidden Laboratory), Change Direction, Change Velocity
    Comms: Radio Communication 3, Subtle
    Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, [url=https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/618254]Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles[/url].

Comment

Nice stuff with Mars.

I've been considering do a similar thing with Mars in regards to his carrying some items to help him defend himself, should the need arrive that is.

Comment

Thanks!

Next up:

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted,
        she got the Mercedes bends
        She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
        How they dance in the courtyard,
        sweet summer sweat.
        Some dance to remember,
        some dance to forget
        Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, [url=https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/618254]Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles[/url].

Comment

The delay was due to a number of factors, most notably trying to decide whether to just go with X Trait or an actual write up for this character.
          Dolorosa

There was once a young girl who was unhappy with her world and age, which seemed so boring and mundane to her. So she eventually decided to form a club to seek out interesting phenomena, totally of her own volition and initiative of course. And while she never found any of the strange things that were, she was sure, hiding just out of sight, they had a lot of fun and so she was happy. And then one of the minor and unimportant members of the club decided to wreck everything by telling her that all the other members of the club were part of the strange and were deliberately hiding the truth from her. It made her a bit angry.

The next day, she woke up in a wonderful place, filled with strange people and things that acted like people, all being very nice to her as she walked among the crystal spires. They had many questions for her, and she answered them, and was pleased when they answered her questions as well. It was wonderful, but all wonders eventually start to pale after you've been exposed to them for long enough. So she asked when she would be allowed to go home.

And that was when they showed her the galaxy-sized singularity which had replaced her homeworld, which was slowly consuming the rest of her universe, and told her how it had come to be. "You have committed a crime beyond mortal comprehension," they told her. "And those which could be considered gods have washed their hands of you. No punishment we can imagine will suffice, and so we will not inflict any upon you. This world was created to be your cage. We hope you do not mind."

After a while, she found that she did, in fact, mind, and so she left.

A long time later, a woman who was no longer young, covered in more scar tissue than flesh, stepped through a portal that closed behind her, and let out a sigh as she absorbed the history of the new world where she stood. Another Earth where America had supported the British and the Soviets in their war with Germany, and so been somewhat ready when Japan attacked. It was so bewildering to consider that the circumstances she'd always taken for granted seemed to be somewhat unique in the cosmos. Well, it couldn't be helped.

Calling herself Dolores Asagiri -- or Heyva, among those more close to her -- she fell in with the a group of mutants, more deformed than empowered by their abilities, and lives in their Camarillo headquarters -- taking obscure amusement in the fact that it used to be a mental hospital -- protecting the other members to the best of her ability. She is correctly regarded by the group as the faction's 'big gun', and they regard the fact that she utterly refuses any role involving leadership to be very frustrating. But no one has been foolish enough to try and force one on her, and so things have stayed as they have.

In terms of her powers, Dolorosa can do pretty much anything. Her one real limitation is her imagination -- which is more imitative than anything else. When fighting alongside Princess and Ultramarine against a group of GENOCIDE troopers and their silly giant robots, for example, she copied what they were doing rather than inventing anything of her own. (On the other hand, that proved to be more than enough.) She did seem a bit startled when she met Princess, though, but it was probably just something to do with someone she's met before. She's met a lot of people before.

When not required to use her powers, she mostly spends her time alone, working in a garden. She was stated that she thinks the worlds would probably be a lot better off if everyone did that ...

Dolorosa is a PL X character, with a few limitations. It actually takes her a long time to develop 'new' abilities instead of the ones that she uses most often, possibly on the order of days, months, or even years to create an entirely new set of powers. Within that timeframe, however, she really can do pretty much anything ... but there's not really a lot that she wants to do anymore.

I think it's very frustrating that there are no gender-flipped portraits of the main character of a certain AD&D computer game ...

Comment

You turned Haruhi Suzumiya into The Nameless One?

Wow...

Comment

Originally posted by Voltron64 View Post
              You turned Haruhi Suzumiya into The Nameless One?

Wow...
              "The Nameless One" has a special Freedom-verse meaning, so I avoid its use.

Comment

Stewart Byrd

Of the many odd tasks Robin 'Songbird' Greyfaulks had been given in her time with Project Freedom ... well, no, fighting Omega on a dying parallel world was still the most ridiculous, but going about to the homes of various 'resident aliens' in Freedom City and reminding them that, no, they were not eligible to vote in next month's civic elections had to be right up there. Surely they didn't need reminding, and surely there were better things she could be doing with her time. Still, this was the job, and it kept her mind off other matters about which she had even less control.

Approaching the apartment that was on her list of addresses, she took a moment to compose herself and knocked firmly on the door. A moment later, it opened, and she painted on a smile. "Hello, Mr. Byrd, my name is --" And then broke off as she realized that she was talking to empty air.

"Down here," said a voice from around her waist.

She looked down.

The humanoid albatross who was standing in the doorway looked up.

They stood there staring at each other for a few moments.

"Would you like a cookie?" asked Stewart Byrd.

"... actually, yes," Songbird replied.
                Someone is going to payyyy for this, she added silently.

Stewart Byrd is a humanoid albatross from a planet where sapient life took the form of various species of waterfowl. It's not clear whether this planet is somewhere in the universe of Earth-Prime, or a parallel dimension of some sort. Stewart doesn't like to talk about his arrival on Earth, around 1986, and so such matters are likely to remain a mystery for some time to come. He has never been back in the last thirty years, nor has he encountered any other members of his species.

While basically a mere mortal, Stewart has something of a knack for being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time to be of some small assistance to various super-heroes over the decades. (Shortly after his unhappy introduction to Robin Greyfaulks, for example, he was caught up in the events referred to as Project Vengeance in the Project Freedom casefiles, and assisted her escape from the Meek's assassins.) These encounters are usually murder on his self-esteem, though.

But he soldiers on, having worked various jobs over the years -- he currently works from home as an editor/proofreader for a major publishing firm who have no idea that they're employing a bird. Not even the people who actually hired him -- most people just see him as an odd, eccentric human rather than something inhuman. (This contributes to his poor self-esteem, since he's often on the spot to see people reacting to beings much more human-looking as though they were hideous and bizarre, while he just doesn't seem to register.)

And then there's his romance life ... well, let's leave him some privacy.

Code:
                Stewart Byrd - PL 6

STR	STA	AGL	DEX	FGT	INT	AWE	PRE
                -1	1	2	1	4	1	3	1

ADVANTAGES
                Benefit (Unremarkable)*, Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Jack-of-all-Trades
                * For reasons that defy ready analysis, most people who meet him tend to consider him an odd-looking human.

SKILLS
                Athletics 4 (+3), Insight 8 (+11), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 8 (+9), Stealth 4 (+6)

POWERS
                Jinx Powers (Array [19 points])
                • Catastrophe: Unreliable Perception Ranged Damage 6, Indirect 4, Subtle 2, Variable Descriptor 1 (Accidents) • 19 points
                • Misfortune: Unreliable Perception Ranged Affliction 6 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Impaired and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Disabled), Extra 
                Condition, Indirect 4, Insidious, Subtle 2, Limited Degree • 1 point
                Foresight: Senses 5 (danger sense [mental], precognition [Uncontrolled]) • 3 points
                Aquatic: Swimming 1 • 1 point

DEFENSE
                DODGE	PARRY	FORT	TGH	WILL
                5	5	5	3/1	7

OFFENSE
                Initiative +2
                Unarmed +7, Close Damage DC 14, Critical 20
                Catastrophe, Perception Range Damage DC 21, Critical --
                Misfortune, Perception Range Will DC 16, Critical --

Abilities 24+Advantages 6+Skills 16+Powers 24+Defense 12=82

Complications
                Trapped In A World He Never Made: Stewart is a talking albatross in a world of humans. While they don't notice the differences between
                themselves and him, most of the time, he certainly does.

... But Then, Who Isn't?--Motivation: Despite his cynical personality, Stewart has a soft spot for people who are also in bad situations 
                through no fault of their own, and rallies to help the underdog.

Unwitting Powers: Stewart is in denial of the notion that he has any sort of 'jinx' powers. They operate without his conscious control.
                Last edited by Davies; 8th April 2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

And I enjoyed the living daylights out of that one. I think I'd enjoy seeing Stewart getting dragged into a few adventures.

And I can't imagine who'd be evil enough to send Robin to deal with the talking bird.
                  No siree.
                  *innocent whistling*

Comment

Yep, reading that made my day a little bit better.

Comment

• Re: I (Still) Hate It Here: Scope Casanova's Rough Guide to Earth-Prime

Glad you liked it. Next one will also have a reference to Robin, as we head to Ferroburg to meet the Steel City Rockers.

Wait ...

Maybe I should come up with a better name ...

Comment

The Steel City Rockers?

[url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                        [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                          <hand over eyes> Yes. Definitely need a better name.

Comment

Originally posted by Davies View Post
                            <hand over eyes> Yes. Definitely need a better name.
                            ^_^ As Ecclesiastes 1:9 put it, "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun."

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                              ^_^ As Ecclesiastes 1:9 put it, "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun."
                              Koholeth was a smart guy.

Nevertheless.
                              The Steel City Angels

In addition to the Witness and Blackjack, Ferroburg has also recently seen the arrival of a small team of armored vigilantes who have begun taking action against criminals in the area. Unlike the former pair, however, these 'Angels' are definitely known to exist, as they have accepted bounties for recapturing fugitives from justice. It is also rumored that they accept contracts as 'heroes for hire', though no official means of contacting them has ever been revealed. Unfortunately, it must also be admitted that their activities have caused a great deal of property damage, and while the Angels have not yet been charged with any offenses, the possibility that they should be is under investigation. Also under investigation is the question of how they acquired what appear to be lower-powered versions of the nanotech battle armor employed by Robin 'Songbird' Greyfaulks, one of the major stockholders of Delta Media.

The answer, of course, is that, just like her, they stole it.

Technically, the founder of the team stole the other suit of armor created by the suit's original manufacturer, which was then re-engineered by her partner in crime to build five less powerful suits. They have each been given to individuals recruited to serve as members of the team, with the understanding that membership in the group is for life, since they cannot be removed from the person using it until after the suit returns to an inactive form following the death of the wearer. There are currently only four members of the team ... three others have been members, but the missions undertaken by the Angels are dangerous. Which explains what happened to one-third of the former members.

Code:
                              Steel City Angel -- PL6

STR	STA	AGL	DEX	FGT	INT	AWE	PRE
                              5/0	2/0	1	5/1	2	2	1	0

Advantages
                              Accurate Attack, Power Attack, Precise Shot (Ranged/Concealment), Seize Initiative, Teamwork

Skills
                              Acrobatics 6 (+7), Intimidate 6 (+6), Insight 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Stealth 6 (+7), Vehicles 6 (+7)

Powers
                              Armor: Impervious Protection 5
                              Personal Enhancements: Enhanced Dexterity 4, Enhanced Stamina 2, Immunity 2 (critical hits)
                              Sensors: Senses 5 (communication link [radio], direction sense [GPS], distance sense, infravision, radio)
                              Weapon Systems: Array (14 points) 
                              • Sonic Mode: Ranged Damage 7
                              • Brawler Mode: Enhanced Advantages 3 (Close Attack 3), Enhanced Strength 5, Power-Lifting 1
                              Wings: Flight 5, Wings

Offense
                              Initiative +1
                              Brawler Mode +5, Close Damage DC 20, Critical 20
                              Sonic Mode +5, Ranged Damage DC 22, Critical 20

Defenses
                              DODGE	PARRY	FORT	TGH	WILL
                              5	3	5	7	4

Abilities 14+Advantages 5+Skills 21+Powers 47+Defenses 11=98

Complications

Motivation-Varies: Each of the team has their own particular motivation.

Secret Identity

Transformation: In order to use their powers, the Angels must transform. This takes no time, but they cannot safely do so while restrained,
                              and the process destroys whatever clothing they were wearing.
                              Calvina Johnson, the team's leader and founder, has Int 4, Awe 2, Pre 3, Technology 8 (+12), Benefit 2 (Independent Income) & Leadership. Her motivation is Justice, though she finds herself worrying that she's just prettying up the notion of vengeance by calling it that. While brilliant, she is the first to admit that the technology used in the powersuits is beyond her. Fortunately, they have retained the services of a genuine expert in the field, Dr. Sue Evil. ("It's pronounced 'Ih-vil'. Really.")

Diana Mallory, the most senior member of the current team, has Str 1, Fgt 3, Equipment 4 (heavy motorcycle), and carries a Bell-Francis Governor firearm (Ranged Damage 8, Inaccurate) in addition to the arnaments of her powersuit. Her motivation is Mercenary -- while loyal to the team, her primary interest is in surviving long enough to get paid for the jobs they undertake, rather than any higher aspirations. Convincing her that there's more to life than that might be a worthwhile cause.

Gladys Michelle, the next most senior recruit, has Technology 6 (+8) and a small array of Tech Powers (beginning with Comprehend Machines 2 & Communication (radio) 1). Her motivation is Thrill of Adventure -- despite the danger she's constantly in, she's having a wonderful time and finds the entire experience a much better adrenaline rush than any of the other dangerous things that she's tried. She is also the only member of the team who is not biologically female.

Stephanie Benjamin, the most recent recruit, is statistically described above. Her motivation is Stunned Disbelief That She Has Been Recruited Into A Crimefighting Team And Can Only Leave The Team Feet-First. Okay, it's actually Unwanted Power. She's not a happy person, is Stephanie.

And then there's Dr. Sue Evil ("It's 'Ih-vil'. 'Ih-vil') who has many secrets. Like, she's not from around here. And, she's much older than she looks. And, she's actually a fallen member of the original Heralds of Legend who is determined that (a) the Heralds reborn on Earth will not wreck this world too and (b) a group of locals who have access to a technology much like that which created the Heralds in the first place will not misuse it. Her determination and dedication would be admirable, if she wasn't a dirty old man who's neither visibly old nor male.

Portrait of Dr. Sue Evil
                              Last edited by Davies; 6th November 2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X