Oubliette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oubliette

I do like the whole "name doesn't explain the powers" idea.....I mean hello - Greystone, though generally I do follow that naming idea for the most part (just my comic book background showing for the most part I figure). Also I do like the idea of the Avalon Academy only having 8 students (all girls at that) because to me one wouldn't want a huge crew of thieves pulling jobs as it is and I'm favoring the idea (granted we haven't seen too much of them action yet to confirm this mind you) that Alice Godridge only uses the girls she deems needed to pull off a specific job.

I also find myself wondering just how much she controls her girls on a day to day basis. I mean do they even realize that she's controlling them and have manipulated them & their families the way she has and they're just prisoners when not out on a job or does she puppet them day & night?

Personally I can't wait to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattooedman View Post
      I do like the whole "name doesn't explain the powers" idea.....I mean hello - Greystone, though generally I do follow that naming idea for the most part (just my comic book background showing for the most part I figure). Also I do like the idea of the Avalon Academy only having 8 students (all girls at that) because to me one wouldn't want a huge crew of thieves pulling jobs as it is and I'm favoring the idea (granted we haven't seen too much of them action yet to confirm this mind you) that Alice Godridge only uses the girls she deems needed to pull off a specific job.
      Especially when you get into things like... my plan is that Alice is the only adult there. I'm not sure yet what she'll do with the girls who "graduate" from her school. Potentially keep them on, or maybe just mind-wipe them to reduce any liability they may cause.

I also find myself wondering just how much she controls her girls on a day to day basis. I mean do they even realize that she's controlling them and have manipulated them & their families the way she has and they're just prisoners when not out on a job or does she puppet them day & night?

Personally I can't wait to find out.
      Another aspect I'm eager to show off is what she's teaching them.
      Armada Status

Comment

I've been concerned with maintaining a visual aesthetic with the guide--particularly how to keep lists from becoming just a block of text--and started looking into tables... This is a first attempt at it, utilizing the sophomore class from the NVAA. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Akutagawa, Ryuunosuke Bishounen Japan Unrevealed
        Bandyopadhyay, Mahdy Swerve India Portal generation
        Dragunsky, Peter Pogrom Russia Explosive energy blast that targets only specified targets
        Lebedev, Svetlana Żywie Russia Regeneration
        Takahashi, Yuusuke Tsubasa Japan Flight via feathered wings
        Zinaida, Ryabko Matryoshka Russia Summons a smaller copy of herself
        Armada Status

Comment

I like it, a lot.

Comment

Last edited by Michuru81; 10-13-2016, 08:54 AM.
            Armada Status

Comment

No clue why it's making the text bold but I really like it. Makes it stand out from the information text below it.

Comment

Actually, I have an answer for that.

In the first one, you have [TH] tags for the headers and then the main content as [TD] tags.

The Armada one is all [TH] tags.

Example:

[TD]Peter D.[/TD] vs. [TH]Bile[/TH]
                Last edited by Enigmatic One; 10-06-2015, 10:50 AM.
                Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                Crinoverse - Avengers
                Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                Crinoverse - Time After Time
                Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                Extreme Unction

Comment

Re: The Avalon Academy...

I'm not sure how far you want to carry the parallels to "Historae Britannum" by Geoffrey of Monmouth, but Morgan Le Fay's "sisters" in Avalon are not biological, but rather fellow Priestesses.

Biologically, Morgan is the middle of three siblings (a sister and a half-brother). Her older sister is Margawse, Queen of the Orkneys and her younger, half-brother is Arthur Dux Bellorum, the Pendragon and yada,yada, yada. Morgan was married to Uriens, King of Gorre and mother to Ywaine le Chevalier au Lion, also known in the pagan myths as Owain of the Ravens.

She is the Aunt of Morded (not his mother. Margawse is his mother), as well as Gawaine (known in the pre-Christian myths as Gwalchmai...which loosely translates as the Hawk of May), Agravaine, Gaheris and Gareth Beaumains.

So, while the Avalon Academy itself may only have 9 residents, there's a bunch of ways to expand the supporting cast while sticking with the same allegory.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatic One View Post
                    Actually, I have an answer for that.

In the first one, you have [TH] tags for the headers and then the main content as [TD] tags.

The Armada one is all [TH] tags.

Example:

[TD]Peter D.[/TD] vs. [TDH]Bile[/TH]
                    Ah! I get it! I copy/pasted what I used for the header as a template each time!

Is there a way to have the lines without the bold? Or is it better without lines?
                    Armada Status

Comment

Originally posted by Horsenhero View Post
                      Re: The Avalon Academy...

I'm not sure how far you want to carry the parallels to "Historae Britannum" by Geoffrey of Monmouth, but Morgan Le Fay's "sisters" in Avalon are not biological, but rather fellow Priestesses.

Biologically, Morgan is the middle of three siblings (a sister and a half-brother). Her older sister is Margawse, Queen of the Orkneys and her younger, half-brother is Arthur Dux Bellorum, the Pendragon and yada,yada, yada. Morgan was married to Uriens, King of Gorre and mother to Ywaine le Chevalier au Lion, also known in the pagan myths as Owain of the Ravens.

She is the Aunt of Morded (not his mother. Margawse is his mother), as well as Gawaine (known in the pre-Christian myths as Gwalchmai...which loosely translates as the Hawk of May), Agravaine, Gaheris and Gareth Beaumains.

So, while the Avalon Academy itself may only have 9 residents, there's a bunch of ways to expand the supporting cast while sticking with the same allegory.
                      Stupid forums...

I'm going to be noting all that. It may or may not come up (it probably will).
                      Armada Status

Comment

So by the way, more things to add to the list:

• The Faustian Society
                        • Black Box

You know, I've been looking at the calendar, and the funny thing is that a lot of the 'most recent' New Vindicator stuff technically takes place several months in the future from our current point in NVAE. Kinda funny, isn't it?
                        Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                        Crinoverse - Avengers
                        Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                        Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                        Crinoverse - Time After Time
                        Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                        Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                        Extreme Unction

Comment

It's always been like that. The first appearance of the Euro PCs in the main narrative was set several months after where they were, in-game. What with a single day of in-universe time taking up to a month or more to play, that's remained consistent.

Around 2017 or so we might just see the arrival of some parallel future kids in-game whose arrival to 137 happened some years ago IRL but in the future of the narrative (after the Battle of Chicago).
                          Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

Comment

As they're coming to kill my character I'm just as happy taking our time getting there. ;~)

Comment

Leader: Chuck Faust
                              Roster:
                              "Faust, Charles 'Chuck'" Unrevealed Unknown: According to Tallemaja, Chuck's talent is for protective wards and barriers, but he had previously cast energy spells, conjuring curtains of flame. He has suggested that he has an ability to use divination magic for remote viewing. Chuck's greatest weapon appears to be subterfuge and misdirection, however, so it may be that he is far more limited than he would appear. At large
                              Garrison, Mikayla America Evocation: Mikayla specialized in spells allowing her to wield elemental energy, such as fire, electricity, and ice. At large
                              "Ljungdahl, Mary" Presumed to be Sweden Enchantment: Tallemaja's talent lies in mind-affecting magic Defected
                              Llewelyn, Gwendolyn "Gwen" Wales Enchantment: Gwen's specialty is for mind-influencing spells Defected
                              "Nicholas" Russia Necromancy: Nicholas has displayed a talent for fabricating legions of undead minions At large
                              Oakfor, Joan Nigeria Conjuration: Joan is a summoner who specializes in calling animals to fight for her. Apprehended; sentenced to Pandora
                              Oakfor, Luther Nigeria Transmutation: Luther specialized in alteration magic, typically augmenting the animals his twin sister summoned. Deceased
                              Thao, Dante England Transmutation: Dante's talent lies in body enhancement magic. At large
                              Van Benthuysen, Rembrandt "Remy" The Netherlands As a descendant of the Aurelius, Remy's repertoire of spells varies. Defected
                              Base of Operations: The Dust Jacket (formerly); mobile
                              First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #4
                              Significant Appearances: Chuck contacts Jason (NVAE #4); the Faustian Society gathers (NVAE #10); Joan and Luther Oakfor attack Vienna (NVAE #11); Remy begins to work with Martin; Dante and Nicholas unleash a legion of giant skeletons on Vienna (NVAE #16); Chuck attacks the school; Mikayla takes on Martin; Dante breaks Chuck, Mikayla, and Nicholas out of the NVAE; Mikayla and Nicholas attempt to purchase Xing Tian (NVAE #20)

Biography: Chuck Faust is a man filled with ambition. Constantly seeking a way to grow more powerful, he struck a deal with a mysterious broker named Agamemnon: in exchange for a Tharivol, he would receive a golden apple capable of granting immortality...

Chuck's maneuverings had drawn the attention of Laputa, who sent Tallemaja to act as a spy. While posing as Chuck's student, she told him about Erudite's son, Jason Lamperouge. Chuck began to watch him, waiting for a moment to lure him into his web. When Jay accepted Chuck's invitation to meet him at a used book store, the magus explained that he was an enemy of the Aurelius, and that he had been keeping tabs on the master mage's minions--Iulia Catargi, William Benson, Dana O'Laughlin... He told Jay that they were watching him and offered to teach the American teen to wield arcana to help defend himself against them.

Jay's tuition was not a steep one: he was given a set of glasses that would allow him to see auras and a trio of scrolls to use when he found anything around the school. In reality, Chuck intended for Jay to find the barriers the Aurelius had put around the school in order to protect the Tharivol children. With the wards disrupted, Agamemnon made a down-payment: a canister containing a golden apple that Chuck didn't know how to open...

Fearing what would happen if Chuck were able to open it, Tallemaja stole the canister and hid herself at the New Vindicators Academy of Europe. Chuck gathered other mages he knew and tasked them with retrieving the canister. After several failed bids, the group moved to work with one of the other students in the school: Martin Curie.

Martin was growing increasingly worried about Tallemaja's influence over his own girlfriend, Tatjana Nelson. Working with Rembrandt Van Benthuysen, Martin stumbled upon Siegfried's plot to attack the school. Mercenaries hired by Siegfried managed to capture both Tatjana and Remy, using them as hostages to purchase Martin's silence.

Remy's disappearance made Chuck and his companions fear Martin had turned on them. One of their number, Gwendolyn Llewelyn, defected to join Martin in trying to free the Dutch magus. Before they could move, however, Gwen's former comrades attacked Vienna--a distraction meant to lure the heavy hitters away from the school. Though many of the mages were apprehended, they ultimately escaped when the New Vindicators became engrossed defending the city from Siegfried's siege.

Unbeknownst to the Faust Society, Tallemaja had reasoned out how to open the canister. Though she succeeded, she did not eat the apple--rather another student, Jack Rexroth, did.

Still, Chuck's ambitions continued. He bid on the body of Xing Tian and sent two mages--Mikayla and Nicholas--to Mount Putuo to claim the headless immortal. While there, it became apparent that Chuck himself was in Australia on other business...

Goals: The Faustian Society serves Chuck Faust, an ambitious man who schemes to increase his own power. Chuck is obsessed with becoming more powerful, though what he intends to do if he should ever acquire that has yet to be seen...

Crimes: The Faustian Society has committed several crimes, both together, and individually.
                              • Chuck: Chuck attempted to kidnap the Pachyderm from the school.
                              • Dante: Dante broke into the school, only to be fought off by a combination of Diamond Dust, Eiron, Fiore, and the Pachyderm. He next appeared attacking the Blue Knight and Magnitude.
                              • Joan: Joan summoned animals used in attacking Vienna. She was apprehended and sentenced to Pandora.
                              • Luther: Luther enlarged the animals his sister summoned to attack Vienna. He lost his life in the ensuing fight.
                              • Mikayla: While he posed as Tallemaja, Mikayla tried to kill Fluxx and his driver. She was apprehended, but escaped
                              • Nicholas: Nicholas led a giant, flaming skeleton to attack the NVAE, only to be stopped by a contingent of students. Though he was captured, he escaped, only to resurface weeks later, now leading an army of giant skeletons in attacking Vienna. Though captured, he again escaped, only to surface on Mount Putuo, in an attempt to acquire Xing Tian.
                              Armada Status

Comment

New Vindicators Academy, Oubliette-731

FACULTY
                                Altair, Benjamin Cold Generation Music Teacher Married to Katherine Altair; father of Neige Altair
                                Altair, Katherine Energy Absorption Housekeeping Married to Ben Altair; mother of Neige Altair
                                Arbors, Monique Power Resistance History Teacher
                                Arnold, Eric Teleportation Automotive Repair Teacher / Jujitsu Instructor
                                Belcher, Brody Pyrokinesis Chemistry Teacher Married to Delilah Belcher
                                Belcher, Delilah Floral Manipulation Area Studies and Geography Teacher Married to Brody Belcher
                                Brown, Malachi Energy Aura Logic, Mathematics, and Statistics Teacher
                                Charlotte, Selma Sickness Aura Archaeology Teacher and Fencing Instructor
                                Cron, Christmas Mind Switch Anthropology, Ethnic Studies, and Sociology Teacher Christmas is married to fellow educator Joshua Cron
                                Cron, Eli Wind Manipulation Maintenance Eli is Josh's big brother and Norman's husband
                                Cron, Joshua Wind Manipulation Sexuality Teacher Joshua is married to fellow educator Christmas Cron
                                Davidson, Chad Transformation in a Swarm of Bees Karate Instructor and Political Science Teacher
                                Evans, Stephanie Kitchen Staff
                                Fulton, Veronica Barrier Generation Literature Teacher
                                Goodman, Norman Nurse Norman is married to Eli Cron
                                Harding, Julie Prehensile Hair Psychology Teacher
                                Haynes, Vincent Clairaudience Physical Education Teacher and Wrestling Instructor
                                Higgins, Alexander - Archery Instructor and Electrical Shop Teacher Mister Higgins is the former Vindicator known as Nock
                                Himura, Michuru Elemental Manipulation Headmaster Mister Himura is the former Vindicator known as Godai. He is married to Doctor Himura and is the father of Hikari.
                                Himura, Natalie Light Manipulation Biology Teacher and Health & Fitness Instructor Doctor Himura is the former Vindicator known as Halogen. She is married to Mister Himura and is the mother of Hikari.
                                Jenkins, Addison Avian Form Computer Sciences Teacher Missus Jenkins died mysteriously at the start of the 2025-2026 school year.
                                Kennedy, Dale Custodian
                                Lock, Douglas Omnilingistics Linguistics Teacher
                                Loder, Alicia Weather Manipulation Earth Sciences Teacher Alicia is the mother of Drew, Jim, and Josie Loder
                                Miller, Paul Kitchen Staff
                                Meinstein, Breanne Intangibility Capoeira Instructor and Dance Teacher Missus Meinstein is the mother of Luke Meinstein
                                Monroe, Ashley Musical Mastery Administrative Assistant
                                Norris, Mortimer Underwater Breathing Space Sciences Teacher
                                Reagan, Diane Power Dampening Physics Teacher Diane is the wife of Owen Reagan
                                Reagan, Owen Vampiric Touch Visual Arts Teacher Owen is the husband of Diane Reagan
                                Sharp, Shannon Quill Arua Philosophy and Religion Teacher
                                Thatcher, Claire Kitchen Staff
                                Titus, Peter Liquid Form School Physician Doctor Titus is married to Reon Titus and is the father of Teddy.
                                Titus, Reon Lupine Form Theatre Teacher Missus Titus is married to Doctor Titus and is the mother of Teddy.
                                Whisper, Sabine Sound Nullification Housekeeping
                                Williams, Alfred Energy Appendages Wood Shop Teacher
                                The Student Body
                                The students of the New Vindicators Academy are divided onto four-man teams and perform together in weekly exercises designed to test their skills, abilities, and powers.

Altair, Neige Energy absorption fuels ice form transformation: Neige is capable of absorbing energy and converting it to cause her entire body to transform into living ice. Junior Vanguard Daughter of Ben and Katie Altair, the school's music teacher and housekeeper; dating Luke Meinstein
                                Alvarez, Javier Celestial Summoning: Javier is capable of conjuring a literal guardian angel Junior The Iridescent Wombats
                                Baker, Matthew Plasma Generation Freshman The New Guys
                                Brady, Sabrina Camouflage: Sabrina is capable of blending in with her surroundings Junior Vanguard
                                Brightman, Cyndi Darkness Generation and Life-Force Siphoning: Cyndi's power allows her to emit a cloud of darkness that she can see through. It is only by touching those shrouded in her darkness than she can drain the life force from them. Freshman The Jolly Ranchers
                                Cade, Oliver Self-Sustenance: Oliver's body does not require food or drink Senior Team Whatever
                                Caldwell, Wendy Emotion Control: Wendy is able to influence the emotions felt by those she can perceive Junior The Iridescent Wombats
                                Chobanian, Abraham "Abe" Spatial Manipulation: By folding spatial topography, Abe can quickly move matter from one location to another Sophomore Team Loder
                                Daniels, Mickie Metal Form Freshman Team Eleven
                                Eastman, Remington Hollow Bones: Remington's body is lighter, thus giving him some extra degree of grace, albeit at the cost of his own durability Sophomore The Edge
                                Forbes, Kimberly Mental Adaptation: Kim's power causes he to take on the skills, knowledge, and experience of the strongest will near her, but at the cost that she also takes on portions of their personality Sophomore Sheroes Previously dated Jim Loder; currently dating John Saxon
                                Foster, Gregory Mental Influence: Greg can control the minds of anyone through sheer force of will Sophomore Team Loder
                                Franklin, Annette Empathy Senior Team Whatever
                                Freeman, Jamal Anger-Induced Stench Freshman Team Eleven
                                Hanson, Mary Augmented Eyesight: Mary's can see much farther than the average human. Senior Aegis Squadron Dating Drew Loder
                                Hernández, Paul Asepsis Senior Team Whatever
                                Himura, Hikari Light Manipulation: Hikari has a precise control of light, letting him either utilize it as white-hot energy blasts, a blinding burst of energy, or fold it around objects to render them invisible Junior Vanguard Son of Mister and Missus Himura, the headmaster and the biology teacher
                                Holden, Helen Air Walking: Helen is capable of standing on nothing as though it were solid Junior The Iridescent Wombats
                                Isaacson, Derryl Sound Manipulation Freshman The New Guys
                                Kelekolio, Apelahama "Ham" Demonic Takeover: As a Nephilim, Ham is capable of releasing portions of his demonic nature, augmenting his power, speed, and durability more as he gradually relinquishes control of his body to his infernal side Junior The Iridescent Wombats
                                Kohlhagen, Natasha Energy Aura: Natasha is capable of surrounding herself in an aura of energy--be it fire, electricity, cold, radiation... Sophomore The Edge
                                Lancaster, Heide Shadow Animation: By touching her own shadow, Heidi commands it to become three dimensional barbs she can use to cut a target Freshman The Number Four Heidi is Miles' little sister
                                Lancaster, Miles Shadow Animation: By touching his own shadow, Miles commands it to become three dimensional tendrils capable of binding a target Sophomore The Edge Miles is Heidi's big brother
                                Loder, Drew Command over magnetic fields; dominion over the weather: Drew is a hybrid Neo-Sapien, having inherited his powers from both of his parents. He is capable of both manipulating magnetic fields and influencing the weather. Senior Aegis Squadron Son of Lodestone and Missus Loder; older brother of Jim and Josie Loder; dating Mary Hanson
                                Loder, James Weather Manipulation: Jim has inherited his mother's ability to manipulate the weather Sophomore Team Loder Son of Lodestone and Missus Loder; younger brother of Drew Loder; twin brother of Josie Loder; sort of the school villain
                                Loder, Josephine Magnetic Field Manipulation: Josie has inherited her father's ability to manipulate magnetic fields Sophomore Sheroes Son of Lodestone and Missus Loder; younger brother of Drew Loder; twin sister of Jim Loder
                                Manther, Sarah Unstoppable Flight and Darkness Generation: Sarah is capable of flying under her own power, and becomes unstoppable and invulnerable while doing so. By concentrating, she can blanket an area in darkness. Freshman The Number Four
                                Meinstein, Lucas Lightning Form: Luke is cable of transforming into living lightning Junior Vanguard
                                Mcciante, Nicole Emotion-Based Skin Colour: Nicole's skin changes colours based on what emotion she's presently feeling. Freshman Team Eleven
                                Payne, Dylan Super-Strength Senior Aegis Squadron
                                Porter, Ken Magic: Ken is a magus who specializes in transmutation magic Freshman The Number Four Ken makes no secret of his desire to become a villain who will bring about the downfall of one particular hero...
                                Ramos, Lucias Pyrokinesis: Lucias can manipulate flame with only the power of thought Sophomore Sheroes
                                Saxon, John Growth Freshman Jolly Ranchers
                                Shaw, Suzette Wall-Crawling: Suzette is capable of scaling even sheer surfaces with only her hands and feet Sophomore Sheroes
                                Stephenson, Gene Genetically Modified Being: Gene was fabricated in a lab, designed to effectively combat super-powered beings Freshman The New Guys
                                Stein, Aisha Sensory Share: By concentrating on a subject, Aisha disables her own senses and replaces them with those of her target Sophomore Jolly Ranchers
                                Sway, Regina Black Hole Form and Gravity Manipulation: Regina is capable of transforming into a living black hole and generates an area of intensified gravity while doing so Freshman The Number Four
                                Thompson, Isabella Chlorine Gas Breath: Isabella can exhale a cloud of chlorine gas Senior Team Whatever
                                Titus, Theodora "Teddy" Hydro-Lupine Form Senior Aegis Squadron Daughter of Doctor and Missus Titus, the school's physician and teacher
                                Vaughn, Eric Spatial Manipulation: By folding spatial topography, Eric can quickly move matter from one location to another Freshman The New Guys
                                Winter, Chad Teleportation and Luck Generation Freshman Team Eleven Chad's grandfather is the original Night Stalker, a mantle now carried by his father, uncle, brothers, and cousin; Marlon is his paternal cousin
                                Winter, Marlon Teleportation Sophomore The Edge Marlon's grandfather is the original Night Stalker, a mantle now carried by his father, uncle, brother, and cousins; Chad is his paternal cousin
                                Wojciechovsky, William "Captain Billy" Body Part Detachment/Substitution: Captain Billy can harmlessly detach and reattach his body parts. If a suitable replacement is available (say, a mechanical arm), he is capable of reattaching it in place of his own limb and using it flawlessly. Sophomore Team Loder
                                Wolfram, Dirk Elasticity Freshman Jolly Ranchers
                                Last edited by Michuru81; 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM.
                                Armada Status

Comment

Working...
                                X