Whatever Happened to META-4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever Happened to META-4?

As I'm sure all of us who recognise the name recognise, in our World META-4 faded into the might-have-been after the publication of CROOKS, its first and only dedicated Sourcebook - yet as we long-term DC drones and not a few other comic book fans are well aware, fiction published in our own reality is merely the echo of worlds where life goes on and adventures play out even when nobody on our world cares to tell of them.

SO my question is this - What do YOU think has happened to the likes of Silver Shrike, Protonik, The Clique, The Pugilist, Knock-Off and all those other old favourites as time has moved on?

Re: Whatever Happened to META-4?

Originally posted by Libra1010 View Post
    yet as we long-term DC drones and not a few other comic book fans are well aware, fiction published in our own reality is merely the echo of worlds where life goes on and adventures play out even when nobody on our world cares to tell of them.
    Sssh, that is supposed to be secret. And not all fiction published in our reality is an echo of other worlds/realities. I would hate to think of an actual reality where the likes of the Simpsons or Family Guy existed. *need a terrified smilie* Or if...Twilight actually existed in another reality. *sees head explode at the horror of such a place*

Comment

Well, I'm sure we can allow for at least a LITTLE exaggeration and misinterpretation on the part of the transcribers of such visions, if only for the sake of our poor old nerves and precious craniums!

Comment

Originally posted by Psistrike View Post
        Sssh, that is supposed to be secret. And not all fiction published in our reality is an echo of other worlds/realities. I would hate to think of an actual reality where the likes of the Simpsons or Family Guy existed. *need a terrified smilie* Or if...Twilight actually existed in another reality. *sees head explode at the horror of such a place*
        My response to the latter existing.

Comment

I don't have anything for the entirety of the setting but I do have the idea in 2014, when people were thinking it was the Mayan Apocalypse, that Iron Cross launched his massive invasion of the planet with his Lizard-Man Nazis. He also revealed to the world he was the original Everyman, intending to demoralize them.

And it was a complete, titanic, RIDICULOUS joke.

Less Wolfenstein: The New Order and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

It turns out that if you isolate yourselves in the middle of the Antarctic even with super geniuses, your technological development will stagnate a little.
          [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
          [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Comment

I'll bet that half the State of Israel practically SCREAMED with delight on realising that they could FINALLY get the chance to settle outstanding grudges Old Testament style on behalf of Grandmama, Grandpapa and still more so on the behalf of those who never got the chance to leave a line of descendants …

The other half was already taking a chance to remind the Fascists why ****ing with The Chosen People is a Bad idea in general terms and an even WORSE one when they're fighting on their Home Ground.
            Last edited by Libra1010; 02-27-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Protonik drifted further and further from the Russian Federation as events continued to get rather spiraling out of control and is presently serving the world as an international hero. This has not gone over well with the Russian Federation who dislikes his renouncing of his citizenship (though that was how THEY phrased it--Protonik finds the idea stupid as he's BROADENING his citizenship). He's still a communist in the sense he believes everyone in the world should have freedom from want and share for mutual benefit but has little to do with the actual parties.

Protonik has, however, also been joined by a family of other beings like himself who have made the group slightly less troublesome. The creations of the Atomic Brain, they were intended to destroy him but, instead, joined his side and now have become champions of the cause of genetically created humans. Protina and Atomik are powerful champions of good even as they share much of his earlier naivety about the way the world works. All three still live in the Russian Federation in their secret identities.

They are pretty much Silver Age heroes in a Iron Age world.

Neutronik has, by contrast, re-branded himself and gone off to become a citizen of the United States and is currently working as the chief hatchetman of the President of the United States or, as this is Meta-4, the powers BEHIND the President of the United States. He's a disgrace to superheroism being kept deluged in cocaine, hookers, and mansions he routinely decimates but has served willingly in their militaries as well as in operations abroad. The United States pays a GREAT deal to keep his exploits under wraps even though it's not working.

Everyman III is a figure created by use of (stolen) Protonik's D.N.A to be the ultimate super-agent and occupies a space in-between the previous two. He's a secret agent for the government with a nasty record but, strangely, he has since developed a monumental change in attitude and is more interested in protecting the American people than obeying orders. He's still willing to kill but is far more discriminating about his targets than before.

He's also made it his life's works to stand against the various knock-off supersoldiers who have been created by the government's failed supersoldier programs. This being a very cynical universe, it's an uphill battle he's suffered for from his paymasters.

The Atomic Brain is suffering an existential crisis as he's starting to realize atomic power isn't going to redefine everything in the world. He held off on destroying the world on many occasions (primarily because he expected technology to advance more) but the world's move away from that has left him despodent. He also feels like something of a relic, especially with the fact his attempts to create an heir in Quantum Lass and Dark Matterman failed so miserably.

The Atomic Brain has thus become MORE vicious and MORE EVIL, hoping for something which will make him feel again. Worse, he's become more willing to utilize nuclear weapons to cause great mutations of life and wholesale loss of life.

The Empire of Unifier has collapsed due to the fact The Pugilist of all people, managed to figure out how to detect him and they captured him early on. A list of his vast number of war crimes and criminal activities also resulted in his incarceration. Worse, Unifer's group has gone on to become its own group.

Unifier has since escaped (of course) and is now head of a Middle Eastern terrorist group, determined to build YET A NEW Empire.
              Last edited by Charles Phipps; 02-27-2015, 05:25 PM.
              [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Splendid ideas Charles and I thank you very kindly for posting them!

Comment

I'm open to alternatives.

On my end, my idea of Meta-4 is that it's not a TRADITIONAL Iron Age setting. Everything is very bright, colorful, and pretty but I think it's a setting of GROTESQUES. It's like some bastard hybrid child of the Silver Age and Iron Age where you have a great number of wacky, bizarre, and almost comical villains who are GENUINELY HORRIFYING.

Doctor Dungeon, for example, not only kills people with all of his comic opera madness but he sends them to HELL-PLANET.

The Kingpin has his own version of Robin (albeit, Damien Wayne takes some of the edge off that shock).

And so on and so on.

It makes me wonder if it's a setting which could be merged with the Age of Wonders easily enough since I took that strategy for creating the heroes.

Comment

Great minds DO think alike, at least when they rest in our own noggins - I actually wondered something similar myself, which is what put the question WHATEVER HAPPENED TO META-4? in my mind.

After all, we did start our collaboration by fitting together Freedom City and Heroic Earth; although I fear my knowledge of META-4 is far too modest to help you in this task.
                    Last edited by Libra1010; 03-02-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra1010 View Post
                      Great minds DO think alike, at least when they rest in our own noggins - I actually wondered something similar myself, which is what put the question WHATEVER HAPPENED TO META-4? in my mind.

After all, we did start our collaboration by fitting together Freedom City and Heroic Earth; although I fear my knowledge of META-4 is far too modest to help you in this task.
                      It might be worth a few posts creating non-canon, "This is what these characters do in Meta-4."

Comment

Gonna have to dust off my copy of Crooks and see if the Super-Unicorn creator notes are still posted some where. But off the top of my head...
                        I always figured that all those superheroes and villians that got their powers from Mr. F would be gathered together for some kind of "big event" purpose like a tournament (ala Zatch Bell) or some kind of cosmic scavenger hunt(like JLA/Avengers or Malibu/Ultraverse's God-Wheel event).

That Soverign guy would have tried invading Earth with that Geodeom(?) guys magic equation things.

Doctor Dungeon would have gotten kidnapped by the angry housewive of one of his victims and she would have tried to force him to bring them back. Which would lead to half the city nearly being destroyed by all the aliens, monsters etc. that would be released in the process.
                        A few lost heroes and villians would have returned and more Gatesmen would arrive for a planet wide prisoner hunt.

The secret of what the Bestiary saw all that time ago would be revealed and greatly effect how Meta4 opperates.

The main character team would have gained more members but also splintered over ideology, moral, and maybe over whatever the above secret was. Leading to two or more different teams.

The Unifier would have bitten off more than he could chew when one of his plans inadvertedly lead to the Burning Union invading the country he was trying to "rescue".

Some kind of mob war between Murderman and ??s with the local heroes caught in the middle.

Player 1 and some members of the Crime Union try to rob someplace at the same time as the Click, hijinx ensues.

Comment

Also property damage. LOTS of Damages.

Comment

I've used some of the META-4 guys in the Mightyverse, though I've not gotten around to mentioning them just yet obviously. Protonik is still a hero and picking up the slack caused by Divinos' disappearance after the end of the Second Orkus Invasion. Once he stopped supporting the Communists and became a hero of the world, he's considered on of the Mightyverse's best good guys and currently he and Old Glory are basically leading the Superman homage charge with Golden Sojourner quickly gaining popularity as well.

Iron Cross is a member of SHADOW, though nobody realizes it just yet.

Murder Man and Butcher Boy are members of the International Crime Syndicate, though I've not decided which city they took over yet.

The Clique are members of the new Shadow Academy in Emerald City. Basically it's a base of operations for them, with the opportunity to improve their powers seen mostly as a happy bonus.

Those are all the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I'd likely not use every single character in the book.

Comment

Toreador as a member of the Illuminati, of course, is the perfect sort of murderer for Taurus and his organization. Of course, the fact Toreador is a bull-fighter and Taurus is well, what he is is a private joke between the two. How funny this particular joke is depends on whether you think Toreador is a loyal servant of the Illuminati's leader or whether you think he's just biding his time to strike and end the otherwise immortal manipulator's life.

Comment

Working...
                              X