Glowverse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glowverse

Everyone and their gamer grandpa has a personal superhero setting. I want one too.

The Glowverse is mostly united by a belief in “glow”, the fundamental make-up of the universe being stuff that “hides” most of the time as matter/energy but when in its revealed state gives off energy perceived by sight-based beings as light. Anything that seems to defy the “laws” of physics is really glow working overtly, ignoring its own guidelines.

In places where the glow is believed in people with flashy or physics-defying powers are often known as “brights”, with “bright” and “glow” used as adjectives to describe anything in their related sphere. Those who are not flashy or are otherwise considered "mundane" are known as "clears".

Unfortunately the way I think about physical dimensions is insanely liberal. Or to put it another way: I don’t like maps. What this means for you is that as I go forward you may wonder how all the locations fit together. Answer: whatever way I feel is cool when I run them.
    Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM.

Re: Glowverse

Sounds interesting.

Comment

Houserules

Confidence Boost: Make a Confidence (Presence + ranks in Drive feat) check against DC 10 + 5 per previous check this adventure. Success allows emulate Heroic Feat, Instant Counter, Recover functions of a Hero Point.

Attack and Defenses
      You may trade off Dodge/Parry and Close/Ranged.
      Toughness bonus may be bought directly.

Conditions
      Slowed: Halve speed ranks (round down), to a minimum reduction of -1 to speed rank. Replaces Hindered.
      Fatigued: -1 speed rank and attack/skill checks, cannot run or charge.
      Prone: Slowed + Impaired.
      Vulnerable: -5 rather than half.

Skills
      Freeform: "Skills" are bought as descriptor-less ratings at a cost of 1pp/2 ranks. Players assign descriptors to these ratings denoting any kind of training such as professions, studies, styles, etc. Whenever a skill check is required players may add the rating of any one skill to the roll if they can come up with a reasonable reason the skill grants them an advantage. (The individual skill uses in the Skills chapter still determine how tests and DCs work.)

Advantages
      Defensive Roll: DOES NOT HAVE TO BE TAKEN.
      Eidetic Memory: This feat is not recommended.
      Luck: Also allows Edit Scene.
      Languages: NOT USED.
      New Feat: Drive: You gain +1 per rank on Confidence Boost checks.

Powers
      "Limited to Vision" is a Quirk rather than a full -1 pp/rank Flaw. However limiting to a certain specific type of vision (such as Infravision) may be allowed at full.
      Blending adapts at 1/2 or -1 speed rank whichever is higher.
      Environment (Impede Movement): 1pp/rank version reduces speed by half ranks or -1 whichever is higher. 2pp/rank version reduces speed by 1/4 rank or -2.
      Flight is now rank - 2.
      Growth and Shrinking without modifiers may be taken as Features, up to two ranks of size change per rank of Feature.
      You do not need to take Immunity (aging) to represent immunity to normal aging.
      Take Immunity 20 (biologic effects) rather than Immunity 30 (Fortitude) + No Stamina to represent being non-living.
      Any being that can self-control cannot have Immunity (Will).
      Environmental Adaptation goes back to being 1 pp/rank.
      You can raise the DC on the Attack extra separate from the power's rank.
      Impervious works at rank rather than half-rank, but is limited to PL or Toughness bonus, whichever is lower.
      Penetrating has an added feature: for every 3 by which it exceeds the target's Impervious (including 0) it adds 1 rank of Improved Critical for that attack, to a max addition of +3. This cannot allow an attack to exceed to "max 16-20" limit.
      Perception range is not allowed on any effect with a descriptor of originating from the character unless they are also Sense-Dependent. (i.e. "Psychic blast": no, "strobe laser": yes, "fortunate accident happens to enemy": yes.)
      Affects Insubstantial rank 1 can EITHER cause 1/2 effect OR affect only rank 1 and 2 Insubstantial at full.
      Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

As I said before: I don’t like maps. And I will, in fact, be using a universe that allows me to indulge not having one.

Glowverse Basics

* The universe is composed something like a theme-park: disparate individual regions, often not especially vast, all parked right next to each other and easily inter-crossable.

* Each region has a theme which the stuff that develops there follows. Nearby regions usually do not have overlapping themes and regions do not usually influence the themes of others.

* There is an exception: Shards of Potentiality. These are said to be fragments of the legendary Middle Tree, alternatively described as a tree that fruited glow or a rock formation resembling a tree studded with glow crystals, shattered sometime in the very distant past. Shards are potential regions, often larger than average, and sometimes manifest by influencing other regions to the extent they form super-regions.

* Two types of powers don’t exist: psionic and cosmic. There is no one “magic”: various different types of magic are different kinds of powers. Magic is also as natural as physics, meaning you can’t nullify a broad array of it without severely affecting how the universe functions. While gods do exist they are not the omnipotent extradimensional entities of other settings. Instead they are more like superheroes for animistic spirits.
        Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 05-23-2014, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X