Multiversity Guide Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiversity Guide Book

I should perhaps have posted this in the Sidekicks Lounge, but in my defence the only question I REALLY want to ask concerning this particular Work is "Did anyone else read this and immediately start working out how best to turn all these passing mentions into full-blown characters?" so I thought that would fit better here than it would elsewhere.

Admittedly I'm still pondering, but at the very least I can safely say that the idea of an ongoing series dedicated to touring the DC Multiverse, using the individual worlds and characters to explore The History of Comics (or just as an excuse to write some affectionate parodies and pastiches), not to mention get away with writing that Captain Marvel/Astro City crossover you never knew you wanted to write … amongst other crossovers … holds more than a little appeal for ME at least!

I admit this may derive from my pathological inability to let a Character Name mentioned in passing go undeveloped for very much longer - and these ones had actual PICTURES to go with them! (How could I resist that? I ask you, admittedly not entirely in earnest).

Re: Multiversity Guide Book

Ooooooo!
    [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Comment

I'd say I liked a lot of ideas in it, but had two real issues:

1) One of the seven unknown words really needs to be the old DCU.

2) Reaaaaaaaally had an issue with retconning the Lil' Gotham word into a world for of robots in service to some evil mastermind. That was a serious dick move on Morrison's part. If you want to do something with it, I'd recommend retconing that retcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
        2) Reaaaaaaaally had an issue with retconning the Lil' Gotham word into a world for of robots in service to some evil mastermind. That was a serious dick move on Morrison's part. If you want to do something with it, I'd recommend retconing that retcon.
        Well that's Grant Morrison for you, he's like to hook you in and then sucker punch you right where it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
          But that's Morrison, that's what he does.... His name might as well be Grant "I dicked around a character you like for crits and giggles, now watch as I destroy him/her" Morrison.
          “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
            But that's Morrison, that's what he does.... His name might as well be Grant "I dicked around a character you like for crits and giggles, now watch as I destroy him/her" Morrison.
            Well just like with Mark Millar, it's the price we pay for having a damned dirty Scotsman working in comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra1010 View Post
              I should perhaps have posted this in the Sidekicks Lounge, but in my defence the only question I REALLY want to ask concerning this particular Work is "Did anyone else read this and immediately start working out how best to turn all these passing mentions into full-blown characters?" so I thought that would fit better here than it would elsewhere.
              As a major fan of Multiversity, seemingly one of the few on the board, I'm eager to help. I also had vague ideas when it started of trying to add some worlds to the Freedom City multiverse, along the same lines, with twists like the Pulp-Freedom World, the Giant Monster-Freedom World, the Wild West-Freedom World, etc.

Comment

I might be way off, but I think one idea Morrison is floating the Multiversity series is ANY and ALL the parallel worlds are eventually rebooted, even if destroyed utterly or corrupted beyond recognition. Note the inclusion of Earth-3 (ravaged by the Anti-Monitor), Earth-26 (obliterated by Starro, the inhabitants rendered into ordinary non-sentient animals), and the resurrection of the "fallen" heroes of the Little League.

If Earth-8 were to be rebooted, I would do a world based off the more upbeat M2 Universe, with analogues of American Dreamer, J2, Mainframe, Spider-Girl, Thunderstrike, and the others, or perhaps the hopeful, Bronze Age heroics of the Marvel Adventures line; I might even do them as DC/Marvel mash-ups, such as The Guardian in the Captain America role, Elasti-Woman as Giant Girl/The Wasp, and so on. Heck, I might even go really light-hearted and cast ersatzes of minor Marvel heroes (Great Lakes Avengers, New Warriors, Thunderbolts) as the top-tier champions of their world.

I am still struggling to identify a few of the pastiches and analogues used-The Light Brigade is Kurt Busiek's Honor Guard, with Savior/Samaritan, Herculina /Cleopatra, Radman/N.R.G., Goodfella/The Gentleman, Formula-1/M.P.H., Ghostman/(The Confessor?), Master Motley/Jack in the Box, Cutie/Beautie, and Stingray (?) of Earth 34; the Super-Americans are (I think) supposed to be analogues of the Squadron Supreme (ersatzes of ersatzes), with Supremo/Hyperion, Majesty/Power Princess, The Owl/Nighthawk, Starcop/Skymaster, Major Mercury/Whizzer, and then Miss X/(?) and Olympian (Black Archer?); the Justice 9 seem to be a gentle poke at Big Bang Comics' take on the JLA, though they might also correspond to Earth-D, where a more diverse cast of people filled out the ranks of the JLA; and the Image-inspired world-I recognized a Shaft (influenced by Green Arrow), Glory (looking more like her inspiration Diana), Super-Patriot (in Red Tornado's colors), Sepulchre (who in Image comics is this? looks like a Deadman clone), the Martian Manhunter as Badrock, The Scorpion (looks like a Batman style vigilante, but don't know who he's based on in Image), and Nightcracker (Shadowhawk, I think) in addition to Dino-Cop (Savage Dragon) and Necro-Spore (Spawn via Swamp Thing).

Anyone know the characters I'm not recognizing?

Comment

Also, it occurs to me we did all this and more with the Age of Wonders array of worlds, along with Heroic Earth and its' various Mirror Realm reflections.

All my best.

Comment

Originally posted by greycrusader View Post
                    I am still struggling to identify a few of the pastiches and analogues used-The Light Brigade is Kurt Busiek's Honor Guard, with Savior/Samaritan, Herculina /Cleopatra, Radman/N.R.G., Goodfella/The Gentleman, Formula-1/M.P.H., Ghostman/(The Confessor?), Master Motley/Jack in the Box, Cutie/Beautie, and Stingray (?) of Earth 34; the Super-Americans are (I think) supposed to be analogues of the Squadron Supreme (ersatzes of ersatzes), with Supremo/Hyperion, Majesty/Power Princess, The Owl/Nighthawk, Starcop/Skymaster, Major Mercury/Whizzer, and then Miss X/(?) and Olympian (Black Archer?); the Justice 9 seem to be a gentle poke at Big Bang Comics' take on the JLA, though they might also correspond to Earth-D, where a more diverse cast of people filled out the ranks of the JLA; and the Image-inspired world-I recognized a Shaft (influenced by Green Arrow), Glory (looking more like her inspiration Diana), Super-Patriot (in Red Tornado's colors), Sepulchre (who in Image comics is this? looks like a Deadman clone), the Martian Manhunter as Badrock, The Scorpion (looks like a Batman style vigilante, but don't know who he's based on in Image), and Nightcracker (Shadowhawk, I think) in addition to Dino-Cop (Savage Dragon) and Necro-Spore (Spawn via Swamp Thing).

Anyone know the characters I'm not recognizing?
                    My understanding is that Ghostman is analogous to the Black Rapier, actually, given the inverted color scheme and use of swords. Stingray may not map to the Confessor well, but he is that world's Batman analogue, since Stingray, Scorpion (Earth-Image), the Iron Knight (Earth-Big Bang), the Owl (Earth-Supremo), and Shooting Star (Earth-Dreamworld) all come from a short "What if Batman was inspired by something else?" story that Grant Morrison saw and wanted to include. And speaking of the Supreme-Earth, it seems (according to an interview Morrison did somewhere) to be analogous to Liefeld's own little DC-inspired work (Supremo-Supreme, the Owl-Professor Night, Glory-Majesty, etc.) though not all the parallels work perfectly.

Frankly, I feel some of the Earth's were missed chances to do something different or represent comics characters/companies besides those that have their own DC/Justice League parallels. I really wanted the Dark Horse Earth, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
                      Context. DC has been seemingly Anti-fun for ten years now. It feels more like taking a shot at one of the only books DC published recently that was.

Also, I'd point out for the purposes of this that Morrison doesn't seem to understand how Earth C works. They were funny animals, but not Toons. I don't recall them ever getting squashed flat like a pancake and bouncing back.

Also, if Earth C is one of the 52, does that mean Earth C Minus is one of the undisclosed universes?

Sorry, huuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the zoo Crew. It was probably the first super hero book I ever read. It was actually my induction to a lot of DC characters. Like, I knew who the Changeling was way before I read Teen Titans.

Comment

You are correct, they were anthropomorphic "funny animals" but not cartoons. But this is Grant Morrison's version, and considering this is probably the ONLY Earth-C and Zoo Crew we are likely to see in the current DCU, that is not entirely a bad thing

Remember, the original Earth-8 had the Bronze Age Avengers pastiches, and was described as a world where villains were relatively few and the heroes mostly handled various natural disaster and emergencies, until the coming of the Extremists (versions of Dr. Doom, Dr. Octopus, Dormammu, Magneto, and Sabretooth) and the nuclear war they triggered. The world of the Forerunners was not a genetically-engineered "War-World"-it was a world where their had never been an American Revolution and the British Empire never fell, and the superheroes were similar to the Inhuman Royal Family (not analogues, just a handful of super-powered royals). The "Red Rain" Elseworlds never saw the rest of the JLA turned into vampires, just Batman (although I rather like the idea of a "Monster League"-Wonder Woman would be a Lamia, Superman an eldritch abomination in human form, etc)-I think the "Blood League" was inspired by the Batman:TBATB episode where the JLI team got turned into blood-suckers. Earth-33 (formerly Earth-Prime) had an Ultraa, but he looked nothing like the figure in the panel...

I think this plays into the idea of the DCU and its' alternates never being destroyed permanently, just getting re-set periodically.

All my best.

Comment

Originally posted by kingk View Post
                          My understanding is that Ghostman is analogous to the Black Rapier, actually, given the inverted color scheme and use of swords. Stingray may not map to the Confessor well, but he is that world's Batman analogue, since Stingray, Scorpion (Earth-Image), the Iron Knight (Earth-Big Bang), the Owl (Earth-Supremo), and Shooting Star (Earth-Dreamworld) all come from a short "What if Batman was inspired by something else?" story that Grant Morrison saw and wanted to include. And speaking of the Supreme-Earth, it seems (according to an interview Morrison did somewhere) to be analogous to Liefeld's own little DC-inspired work (Supremo-Supreme, the Owl-Professor Night, Glory-Majesty, etc.) though not all the parallels work perfectly.

Frankly, I feel some of the Earth's were missed chances to do something different or represent comics characters/companies besides those that have their own DC/Justice League parallels. I really wanted the Dark Horse Earth, for example.
                          Ah! I suppose Ghostman is actually a counterpart to Confessor, and Stingray isn't entirely off-base as a Black Rapier analogue-the Black Rapier is a detective, non-powered athlete/fighter, and does have a "stinger" of sorts in his electrically-charged foil; and you may also be correct in The Super-Americans being somewhat more analogous to Liefeld's (and even Moore's) Supreme-the white hair and inverted red and white costume might be the giveaway. The Supreme comic did have a Doc Rocket (Flash), used Glory as a shameless WW-expy, and so on...though maybe the Super-Americans are a blend of the Super-Allies and the Squadron Supreme, given the presence of Starcop (Skrullian Skymaster/Martian Manhunter) and Morphin' Man (The Shape/Elongated Man), and Major Mercury's color scheme.

I didn't know Morrison was including alternate versions of a Batman inspired by other creatures/events instead of a fluttering bat-so The Iron Knight, The Owl, The Scorpion, The Stingray, and The Shooting Star all make sense, in that context; funny, when I first saw the Love Syndicate way back when in Animal Man, I imagined Batman as The Bad Trip Man (owing to the drug references of the others), Wonder Woman as Mama Earth (who made her way into one of my Age of Wonders parallel world write-ups), and so on.

Surprised the Over-Men weren't present on one parallel (Overman, the Jewish Flash, punker GL, black bodybuilder WW), though I suspect they could turn up on the Super-Doomsday corporatist world, and I also thought analogues of the MLJ/Archie characters might be present as well, given Morrison included the "WONDER Agents", AKA T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents as well.

All my best.

Oh hey Libra-since you enjoy coming up with concepts to go along with names, here are a few inspired by the "missing" members of the Justice-Titans of Earth-32: The Amazon Android ("Amazing Amazon" Wonder Woman/Red Tornado "Astounding Android"), The Nuclear Crusader ("Nuclear Man" Firestorm and "Emerald Crusader" Green Lantern), Scarlet Sea-King ("Scarlet Speedster"Flash/Aquaman "King of Seven Seas"), and Manhunter of Tomorrow (Martian Manhunter/"Man of Tomorrow" Superman).

Comment

Challenge Accepted!

Comment

Also, I'd point out for the purposes of this that Morrison doesn't seem to understand how Earth C works. They were funny animals, but not Toons. I don't recall them ever getting squashed flat like a pancake and bouncing back.
                              I actually rather love the idea that Metahuman Powers would manifest themselves as cartoon physics amongst a population of Talking Beasts* since for some reason it just tickles my fancy.

*I actually mis-typed that as 'Talking Beats' which strikes me as a great title for SOMETHING … now I just need to work out what that happens to actually be.

Comment

Working...
                              X