My unofficial additions to Vigilance Press' Beacon City campaing world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My unofficial additions to Vigilance Press' Beacon City campaing world

I'm really enjoying reading over the various releases from Vigilance Press, namely the material centered around Beacon City. It's sparked my imagination, and got me thinking about building a campaign world using what they've published as the basis, but with my own additions.

A few quick notes on government agencies: Just like the real world, this world is chock full of government agencies, and depending on your point of view, they're either a hindrance or a help. The US, in particular, seems to have an agency for everything, each vying for a seat at the table.

The Bureau for Extra-Terrestrial Affairs (BETA) is still alive and well, and now falls under the purview of the Dept. of Homeland Security.

META, while still an independent agency, is under a lot of pressure to be folded into the Dept. of Justice.

The US Military has a task force, the Joint Metahuman Security Task Force, code named: Alpha Blue, on standby to respond to large scale "special events" that local law enforcement, or other federal agencies are incapable of handling on their own. They maintain stockpiled equipment at several locations around the country, allowing them to rapidly deploy to a location, and draw gear from stocks. Their primary training facility, Alpha Base, is located in Nevada, not far from Las Vegas.

Unknown to most of the outside world, the CIA and NSA have a joint unit devoted to monitoring potential metahuman threats against the US, codenamed Project Overwatch. It's staffed by a few dedicated analysts who scour news feeds, intelligence reports, and communications intercepts looking for any signs of a potential attack on the US or its interests.

The US is far from the only country with an official government agency tasked with monitoring metahumans. Most of the Western world, Russia, and many developing countries, such as India, Brazil, Argentina, and South Africa have some sort of official agency, or military program, to either monitor metahuman activity, or sponsor a program to develop metahumans.

The Israeli's maintain a team of military trained metas codenamed The Shield of David. They've seen action in Lebanon, Syria, and Occupied Territories.

The European Union's various law enforcement agencies have formed a loose information sharing network, called the ARGUS Network, for sharing information on the various metahumans and paranormal incidents that occur within their borders.

The French agency tasked with dealing what they've named "extra-normal" crimes, is known as The 13eme Bureau du le Ministre de L’Interier, or "Le Bureau" as it's informally referred to by the general populace, is the French Republic's answer to what they have come to call "extra normal" incidents, on French soil. The Bureau's agents have powers similar to the the Gendarmerie Nationale, in that they are both a law enforcement agencies, with military duties. While they're formal members of the ARGUS Network, they tend to like to do their own thing and not be restricted by silly little things like treaties.

The EU also maintains its own superteam, called Aegis. It's based in Brussels, Belgium.

In Canada, the RCMP's Metacrime Investigations Section handles crimes involving metahumans.

Not to be left out, the Chinese have a government sponsored team, nicknamed the "Gung Ho Super Squad" by the Western media. Very little is known about them, other than they made their public debut during the Tiananmen Square protests, and provided security for the 2014 Olympics. The two members that have been identified by by their code names are Harvest and Thunderfist, but there are believed to be at least half dozen, if not more, additional members.
    Last edited by sumnerd; 01-03-2015, 08:41 AM.

• sumnerd
    replied
    Re: My unofficial additions to Vigilance Press' Beacon City campaing world

With Metahuman crime and extremism on the rise, and including one particularly brutal incidents involving Metacide and VXen, the U.S. government begins organizing an officially sanctioned super team, Counter Strike. The team will be lead by Capt. Archon, with additional team members drawn from other U.S. agencies, and hand picked volunteers.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

Originally posted by Shadowchaser View Post
    You *could* swap out Covenant for Eldritch, if you had a mind to.
    I figure they've run into each other several times over the years. While they wouldn't be friends, they know of each other.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowchaser
    replied

Originally posted by sumnerd View Post
    I'm bumping this up as the bug has bitten me once again. And while I'm at it, here's a bit more info on some of the ideas that have popped into a head.

The Chosen - A had picked villain team lead by Apogee, all of whose members hold ideas similar to hers, as in the believe themselves to be superior to normal humans.

Eldritch - Once one of the world's most powerful mystic masters, now world weary, he wants nothing more than to be left alone to live out his life in piece, but old enemies keep coming back to haunt him.

LOCUST - An International terrorist organization

Pendragon - Last of the Arthurian bloodline, and young hero in training.
    You *could* swap out Covenant for Eldritch, if you had a mind to.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

I'm bumping this up as the bug has bitten me once again. And while I'm at it, here's a bit more info on some of the ideas that have popped into a head.

The Chosen - A had picked villain team lead by Apogee, all of whose members hold ideas similar to hers, as in the believe themselves to be superior to normal humans.

Eldritch - Once one of the world's most powerful mystic masters, now world weary, he wants nothing more than to be left alone to live out his life in piece, but old enemies keep coming back to haunt him.

LOCUST - An International terrorist organization

Pendragon - Last of the Arthurian bloodline, and young hero in training.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

Originally posted by Shadowchaser View Post
    Great to see Beacon City coming to life for you! Really fun stuff!
    Glad to see you're liking this stuff. I'll add additional material as the mood strikes me.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowchaser
    replied

Great to see Beacon City coming to life for you! Really fun stuff!

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

I've been digging around through the various Rogues, Rivals, and Renegades releases, trying to see who'd fit where, and some of them slide in quite nicely. I could easily see Apogee hooking up with my group the Oppressed, if not flat out organizing and leading them.

Others that would make fun additions include Cold Snap, Black Heron, The Conductor, El Conquistador, VXen, Iron Dog, Metacide, Kogar, Shockwave, Warchild, Acid Beth, and Clypso.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

Ballistic Technologies (BallisTech) - A major us defense contractor supplying advanced weapons systems to the US military and its allies. There have been a number of attempts by foreign governments, and extremists groups, to penetrate their security to acquire the tech they're developing.
    Last edited by sumnerd; 02-08-2018, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied
    Re: My unofficial additions to Vigilance Press' Beacon City campaign world

The Blackthornes - The Blackthornes are a family of witches who're led by the family patriarch Silas Blackthorne. They've managed to amass quite a bit of mystical might over the past few hundred years. They've clashed with members of the Library on several occasions as they're quite fond of stealing information and mystical artifacts.
    Last edited by sumnerd; 06-16-2019, 07:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

DOJ Office of Metahuman Affairs (OMA) and the "Meta Czar"

The US Department of Justice Office of Metahuman Affairs (OMA) is tasked with advising the Attorney General policy issues concerning Metahumans and Metahuman or "Super Crimes" as well as coordinating with other federal law enforcement agencies, intelligence agencies, the military, and foreign governments.

To help coordinate the various government agencies and policies governing metahuman activity, within the U.S., the President has recently created a White House Office of National Metahum Policy and Coordination and appointed a "Meta Czar". The Meta Czar's official title is the National Metahuman Policy Director, the Meta Czar, name was foisted on him by the media, and it stuck.

One of the Meta Czar's first priorities is to look at way to better coordinate the response of federal agencies in response to metahuman crime, as well as to make information from federal agencies, such as META, more accessible to local law enforcement. He's been encountering a bit of resistance from the OMA, as until his appointment, they were the government's go to agency when it came to metahuman crimes. There's also been a bit of difficulty with Congress, as several members of the Senate Select Committee on Metahumans has been pushing for META to be absorbed by the Dept. of Homaland Security. Something META has strongly argued against, as they wish to retain their independent status.
    Last edited by sumnerd; 11-13-2015, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

The Oppressed - The Oppressed are an extremely violent terrorist organization supposedly fighting for "metahuman civil rights". They're know for their high body count, extensive collateral damage, an refusal to negotiate with government officials. Led by the the mutant telepath, Scorn, the group has increasingly turned its wrath on nongovernmental targets.
    Last edited by sumnerd; 11-13-2015, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Libra1010
    replied

Keep up the good work Sumnerd!

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

I've been giving some more thought to where BETA's modern day HQ would be. Their publicly acknowledged offices would be in some nondescript looking building in D.C., or Northern VA, while the main operations center would be located somewhere in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., either in Maryland or Virgina. Say a HQ complex in one of the less populated counties within an hours drive of DC. I could see them having some sort of office complex that would appear to be nothing more than one of many such facilities occupied by one of the dozens of government contractors located in the area. Regional offices would masquerade as FAA, NASA, or NOAA facilities to hide there actual purpose from the general public.
    Last edited by sumnerd; 03-01-2015, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sumnerd
    replied

After the end of WWII, BETA stayed hidden from public view till the 60’s, when media reports began making mention of a government agency that dealt with aliens, without actually naming who it was. The USAF Project Blue Book was a deliberate misinformation campaign designed to draw attention away from actual BETA activities.

Over time, the government grudgingly began to acknowledge their existence without revealing too much information about their operations to the public. Agencies like CIA, NSA, FBI, the Dept. of Defense, and certain members of Congress would be regularly briefed on their operations, but things like their budget, size, organization, etc. would all remain highly classified.

While remaining small relatively self-contained agency, today it would recruit personnel from law enforcement, the military, and the cream of America’s universities. Recruits would be screened for their intelligence, adaptability, loyalty, and mental stability. People in more action oriental roles would also be screened for their physical prowess. I could easily see them recruiting everything thing from engineers, researchers, and linguists, to former military special operations personnel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X