Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-men type group in the M&M Universe

Hey gang:

My players want to do a game where it's sort of them against the world, much like the X-men, but they want to play in the M&M Universe. Would it be worth it for me to Invest in the Emerald City Campaign Setting?

I'm just starting to brainstorm a little bit and could use some imput.

Re: X-men type group in the M&M Universe

It depends on what you mean by X-Men type group:

The Stormers are created by a one-time localized event so don't fit what I think of as the widespread target of Mutants.

There are clans of magical creatures, stranded aliens, and transformed people living in the mountain forests, but they all remain hidden.

If you want a pre-published source of angst look into the Halt Evil Doer! setting: it was directly inspired by Marvel, mutants and all.

Comment

You might also consider the original Freedomverse setting: Freedom City. It's not too much trouble to convert 2e into 3e (heck, I don't even always bother) mechanics and the setting info needs no changes.

The Clairmont Academy is an Xavier School expy and the Psions, although villainous, have the whole "world that hates and fears us" background theme. You could probably get a great campaign about a heroic rival of Professor Psion founding a psychic spin-off of the Clairmont Academy, which your PCs could be students/faculty at...

Comment

The Meduasa Metahuman supremacist group in Emerald city would
        make a great "Evil" Brotherhood of mutants. The 2E Hero High book
        might be useful as well.

Comment

Kit on the original atomicthinktank had an idea for doing X-men style "the world hates/fears us" in freedom city called Terminus Babies:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=6001

I think you could do an excellent job with that, and it actually gives a reason that the normal population (and maybe even some other superheroes) would dislike/hate/fear the players.

Comment

The Psions comes to mind.

Comment

Terminus babies make the most sense. People could think they are agents of Omega, and have some kind of environmental effect on this reality that makes them stand out from the other supers.

Comment

All the choices above are good, but let me throw in a few more.

Aliens- with recent events, many aliens are seeking refuge on Earth, but many humans are wary of these outsiders. Considering real world current events, you could easily draw an analogy.

Kaiju Islanders- A sillier option, certainly, but not all the residents are mindless, destructive beasts. Some want to go out and help ("Gamera is friend to children!"). They aren't as large as Gigantosaur (though still big), but they are smarter. Unfortunately, many immediately break out the tanks as soon as any kind of giant monster shows up.

Serpent People- While many Serpent People are degenerates bent on destroying mankind, there are a small number that are, if not benevolent, then at least benign. Many folk tales across the globe speak of serpents imparting wisdom and helping humanity. However, the few Serpent People who walk this path find it's a lonely one- they're hated by their own kind, and feared by humanity.

Comment

As already mentioned, Freedom City's Clairmont Academy (who they're homages to should be fairly obvious) and the villain group the Psions, as well as MEDUSA from Emerald City as they're supposed to be a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants type group.

Comment

Another option- check out the Paragons campaign setting. That's a bit more conducive to X-Men style games than Freedom/ Emerald City.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Mask View Post
                      The Psions comes to mind.
                      The Psions (as published) are more of a cult-family brainwashed by Professor Psion into True BelievingTM that they are the X-Men/Tomorrow People; the next evolutionary step towards Homo Superior that must operate in secret lest they be persecuted by the Saps (despite ample evidence to the contrary).

But you could have fun playing with that concept.

Comment

Working...
                      X