Fiery explosion attack... with a twist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiery explosion attack... with a twist

Suppose a character has a fiery explosion attack. A typical description might be: Ranged Area Burst Damage # 3 points per rank

This attack could be described as a tiny red bead that gets hurled at enemies in a target area, so cover between the attacker and the center of the target area could cause the bead to explode early. Concealment, of course, has no effect. Assuming nothing impedes the path of the bead to the center of the target area, cover could protect some of the targets (if there is any between the center of the explosion and the target). Anyone familiar with Dungeons & Dragons would know this is the description of the fireball spell, by the way.

Suppose a character had a similar attack, except the attack simply explodes from the central point (which the attacker must be able to clearly see). This shouldn't be a Perception Ranged attack. The targets are still entitled to a Dodge check to reduce incoming Damage by half. Cover between the center of the explosion and the target still protects them. Cover between the center of the explosion area and the attacker has no impact at all if it's transparent. This seems like it's worth points, perhaps the Indirect extra. Is this just an Indirect 4 attack, perhaps with a Quirk that the attacker has to be able to see the originating point?

Re: Fiery explosion attack... with a twist

Please don't take offence but I think you may be over-complicating things - this sounds like a Ranged area (explosion) damage effect. There's no mechanical difference as far as I'm aware between the two scenarios you described

Comment

The only difference I see is that the first one may have a flaw linked to it that the attack could be blocked, redirected in some way. Maybe an Unreliable or Uncontrollable with a very low percentage of activation that could indicate a strong wind blowing the bead off course or someone being able to deflect it. Maybe roll a deviation roll on the attack, it's going to explode somewhere just see how close to the target spot it gets to.

Where as the second version just explodes where the attacker is looking.

Comment

I think this is just Precise, if you want to move the bead with pinpoint accuracy.
        [url]http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211267/Do-Not-Approach[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by pawsplay View Post
          I think this is just Precise, if you want to move the bead with pinpoint accuracy.
          That is an interesting way of handling things.

Comment

Working...
          X