Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Advice

Hey SuperArmy!

I'm thinking of running my next campaign using the "Unlimited Power Level" AND "Unlimited Power Points" options. My thinking, based on player feedback, is this will allow the players to design the EXACT superhero they want. NO RESTRICTION (other than me saying no to 'broken' powers and/or exuberant point totals).

But, what am I missing? With no PL and an increased point level, are there aspects of the system that can be broken by the players that I'm not considering?

My biggest concern was Countering, because a PC could use EE to summon a powerful effect to neutralize a villain's "trump card" attack. But then I thought, "That's what happens in comic books." I prohibited use of the Variable effect because I saw that kind of power better expressed as an array.

But, as a system, am I missing something more important?

Thanks, in advance.
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1243-My-Dream-House"]My Dream House[/URL]

Re: Unlimited Advice

I think you need a Power Level. Otherwise someone will have a +10 Damage DC 25 power and Toughness 12 and someone else will have a +500 Damage DC 700 power and toughness 1000. (I'd be curious if someone would actually do that. But this is an exaggeration. )

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
      I think you need a Power Level. Otherwise someone will have a +10 Damage DC 25 power and Toughness 12 and someone else will have a +500 Damage DC 700 power and toughness 1000. (I'd be curious if someone would actually do that. But this is an exaggeration. )
      I can manage the chargen aspect by capping them to a degree. My main concern is rule exploits. But, you bring up a very good point.

Comment

Originally posted by dream View Post
        I can manage the chargen aspect by capping them to a degree. My main concern is rule exploits. But, you bring up a very good point.
        Well that what Power Limits do. They set caps. And they are tried and true. The value of Power Limits is they allow the d20 to matter consistently. Without the existing power limits have an untouchable character is possible.

But this is supposed to be a non-PP limits game. It's supposed to be gonzo. Don't worry about rule exploits. Let someone take 80 points of immune to toughness. That's what affliction and weakness are for. The only real exploit is Immunity to fortitude effect, will effects, and toughness effects. It gets a little suspicious when you run into a bunch of opponents who use something other than those three things for a resistance roll.

Let them be insubstantial. Affect insub is 1 PP. Every other villain has a power that affects insub.
        Let them have reaction powers that do crazy stuff. The whole point is no limits.

And remember, no matter what the power limit is, the GM can break it. The GM can always make a bigger fish.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
          Well that what Power Limits do. They set caps. And they are tried and true. The value of Power Limits is they allow the d20 to matter consistently. Without the existing power limits have an untouchable character is possible.

But this is supposed to be a non-PP limits game. It's supposed to be gonzo. Don't worry about rule exploits. Let someone take 80 points of immune to toughness. That's what affliction and weakness are for. The only real exploit is Immunity to fortitude effect, will effects, and toughness effects. It gets a little suspicious when you run into a bunch of opponents who use something other than those three things for a resistance roll.

Let them be insubstantial. Affect insub is 1 PP. Every other villain has a power that affects insub.
          Let them have reaction powers that do crazy stuff. The whole point is no limits.

And remember, no matter what the power limit is, the GM can break it. The GM can always make a bigger fish.
          Very useful tips. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X