Data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data

I'm running a Star Trek inspired game and a player has shown interest in playing a Data-esque android type character. I have all the things like absence of Stamina and immunity to Fortitude effects but I'm not sure of the best ways to emulate the mental aspects of his abilities, chiefly the ability to essentially call up and facts as needed. Tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Re: Data

Eidetic Memory, high Intellect, Lots of int skills, several ranks of Quickness (both mental and physical: remember Data can assemble physical things really fast too), and Jack-of-all-Trades. A few Skill Masteries in the sciences probably can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
      Eidetic Memory, high Intellect, Lots of int skills, several ranks of Quickness (both mental and physical: remember Data can assemble physical things really fast too), and Jack-of-all-Trades. A few Skill Masteries in the sciences probably can't hurt.
      Wouldn't that cost alot? I know expertise skills get pretty expensive and are poorly balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by RyuRed View Post
        Wouldn't that cost alot? I know expertise skills get pretty expensive and are poorly balanced.
        You get what you pay for. Maybe it would be better to ask, what does your player want to be able to do?
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
        [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Wouldn't that cost alot?
          This is Data you want to emulate, right? Data costs a lot power points.

I know expertise skills get pretty expensive and are poorly balanced.
          Expertise skills are only as poorly balanced as the GM portrays them.

In a Star Trek campaign, the GM should designate a few expertise skills that are required for Engineering Staff, Security Officiers, Command Staff, Science Staff, Medical, etc. Possibly even with minimums based on rank. You can have an Ensign with +3 in Expertise: Star Fleet Engineering. But A lieutenant better have +10 (or something) or damn good reason.

As for Data (or any inventor/mage/int-based character), buy a lot of INT. Technology + 3 (or more) Expertise skills pay for the INT. Put one skill point in each and then push INT. Also Data probably wants Inventor so he can kit bash a solution while he spews technobabble to the captain.

Int 2, Technology +10 (8r), Exp: Science +10 (8r), Exp: Engineering +10 (8r), Exp: Command +10 (8r) = 20 PP
          Int 9, Technology +10 (1r), Exp: Science +10 (1r), Exp: Engineering +10 (1r), Exp: Command +10 (1r) = 20 PP

Int 2, Technology +10 (8r), Exp: Science +10 (8r), Exp: Engineering +10 (8r), Exp: Command +10 (8r), Exp: Navigation +10 (8r), Exp: Aliens +10 (8r) = 28 PP
          Int 9, Technology +10 (1r), Exp: Science +10 (1r), Exp: Engineering +10 (1r), Exp: Command +10 (1r), Exp: Navigation +10 (1r), Exp: Aliens +10 (1r) = 21 PP
          Last edited by jmucchiello; 03-10-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
            This is Data you want to emulate, right? Data costs a lot power points.

Expertise skills are only as poorly balanced as the GM portrays them.

In a Star Trek campaign, the GM should designate a few expertise skills that are required for Engineering Staff, Security Officiers, Command Staff, Science Staff, Medical, etc. Possibly even with minimums based on rank. You can have an Ensign with +3 in Expertise: Star Fleet Engineering. But A lieutenant better have +10 (or something) or damn good reason.

As for Data (or any inventor/mage/int-based character), buy a lot of INT. Technology + 3 (or more) Expertise skills pay for the INT. Put one skill point in each and then push INT. Also Data probably wants Inventor so he can kit bash a solution while he spews technobabble to the captain.

Int 2, Technology +10 (8r), Exp: Science +10 (8r), Exp: Engineering +10 (8r), Exp: Command +10 (8r) = 20 PP
            Int 9, Technology +10 (1r), Exp: Science +10 (1r), Exp: Engineering +10 (1r), Exp: Command +10 (1r) = 20 PP

Int 2, Technology +10 (8r), Exp: Science +10 (8r), Exp: Engineering +10 (8r), Exp: Command +10 (8r), Exp: Navigation +10 (8r), Exp: Aliens +10 (8r) = 28 PP
            Int 9, Technology +10 (1r), Exp: Science +10 (1r), Exp: Engineering +10 (1r), Exp: Command +10 (1r), Exp: Navigation +10 (1r), Exp: Aliens +10 (1r) = 21 PP
            This actually raises another question I had. What would the Engineering Expertise add that the Technology Skill doesn't?

Comment

This actually raises another question I had. What would the Engineering Expertise add that the Technology Skill doesn't?
              Expertise: Engineering means you know what level 4 diagnostic is, all the steps to perform one, in order, and what the expected results are.
              Technology means you can hack into the warp core and take out some antimatter so you can feed it into the replicators (for some reason, hopefully the reason came from an Expertise: Engineering check.)

Comment

Does anyone have any idea how strong Data is?

Data can connect himself to a computer (although he might have to remove his head!) so... Comprehend Machines, Limited to Electronics/Computers. Perhaps he gains a bonus to using computers. Enhanced Skill: Technology #, Limited to computer use.

Speaking of which: Built-in Functionality: Feature 3: computer, major circumstance bonus. He could get PL +15 rather than +10 when working on computers.

Comment

Data has at least 7 or 8 strength as it should be 2 to 4 times human max.

Comment

Also consider other Advantages: Jack of all Trades, Beginnerís Luck, Well Informed... Fearless if he doesnít have emotions..

Using M&M for Star Trek is somewhere I would readily House Rule (as I mostly do anyway) the skill ratio at 3:1 instead of 2:1.

Most people are wary of this, but a rank or two of Variable, Limited to Skills could also be a means of showing Dataís immense skills. (You could even go further to Limit to Non-Combat Skills.)

He also likely has Senses. Distance, Time, Acute Tactile (he can tell the weight of dice are not balanced just by the way they sit in his hand) among others.
                    [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Also Online research which is a custom advantage that allows the PC to use Int in place of presence for Well Informed
                      Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Working...
                      X