[3e] How often is Initiative rolled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e] How often is Initiative rolled?

Perhaps my search-fu is weak, but I cannot find the answer to this question. I have read and re-read the initiative section multiple times but I do not see a reference other than that it is rolled.

How often do combatants roll for initiative?

I can see this going two ways, and they both have pros and cons:

1) As soon as the character enters the combat they roll for initiative, and keep the result for the entire battle.

2) At the start of every combat round that the character will participate in.

If I draw from the history of the different versions of D&D that I have played, it is rolled every single round. However, several games have it be at the start of combat, or more accurately when a combatant can start doing things in the combat. I can see Mutants and Masterminds going either way.

Re: [3e] How often is Initiative rolled?

In the section of the Deluxe Hero's Handbook describing the ready action, it mentions that after taking the ready action, your place in the initiative order moves to the point where you decided to take your action. I would generally interpret this to mean that the initiative order is decided at the beginning of a fight (with combatants who join mid-fight rolling as they enter and being placed at the appropriate point in the combat order) and carried through to the end of the fight. However, this is simply my interpretation, as it is not explicitly stated.

It will definitely take a bit more time to do a new initiative order each round, but your group may prefer it that way. I recommend doing whatever is the most fun for you and your group.

Comment

Accusing to the rules, "At the start of a conflict, roll an initiative check for each character", so it's once per encounter.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
        Accusing to the rules, "At the start of a conflict, roll an initiative check for each character", so it's once per encounter.
        So it does in the Deluxe Heroes Handbook, and in the Basic it says "To figure out who gets to go when in a Conflict, everyone involved rolls an Initiative Check:"

For some reasoin the debate in my group was trying to determine if that was just the start of it, and you keep rolling each turn, but from both of your replies, and looking at that statement in both books it seems that it would be once per Combat. That will help the turns go a bit faster, too.

Comment

Oh yeah, and thanks to both of you for your input.

Comment

You can do it either way really. It's your table. Rolling once speeds things up as you don't have get the order lined up each round.

Comment

Working...
            X