Snake-person help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake-person help

So I’m developing a setting where most of the characters are aliens. Their “powers” are generally abilities indigenous to their race.

One race is essentially a race of “snake-people” (think centaurs, but the lower half is a snake). Would this body type qualify for a Disability Drawback or not?
    "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." - Clark Savage, Jr.

Re: Snake-person help

Probably not. I think it's more likely to qualify for some kind of benefit, like being more difficult to trip or not having a penalty for being prone.

When do you think the disability would apply and what would it do?

Comment

They might have difficulty jumping. Effects targeting ground surface area (electrified floor, e.g.) might affect them more.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeddak Templar View Post
        So I’m developing a setting where most of the characters are aliens. Their “powers” are generally abilities indigenous to their race.

One race is essentially a race of “snake-people” (think centaurs, but the lower half is a snake). Would this body type qualify for a Disability Drawback or not?
        First, I guess your're using 2e, correct? (no Drawbacks in 3e, just Complications)
        Second, the exact drawback (if any) of such a body type is up to you.
        You MAY argue that it "can" warrant a penalty to jumping checks (as in Fuzzy's example). Yet "can" isn't "must" - Medusa in Clash of the Titans (2010) could jump just fine.
        From a strictly common sense POV, the snake-body's drawback would only really come into play when operating certain vehicles made for two-leggers, and of course when trying to pass as a human via conventional disguise.
        Also, as far as I remember, 2e already contained the option of forfeiting a Drawback's point discount for instead getting a HP whenever it comes into play (i.e. exactly how 3e-Complications work). IMHO the superior solution (especially for highly situational drawbacks), as it avoids discussions about exact point values.
        https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

Originally posted by Jeddak Templar View Post

Yes. I'm assuming you're playing M&M 3e. The hero gets a hero point when that complication interferes with scenarios. I would include a penalty to certain uses of Athletics and Acrobatics; it's going to be hard to jump, balance on a tightrope, or climb some objects, and of course it might be hard to drive (but only if there's no snake-adapted vehicle and no other PCs available to drive, so that probably wouldn't come up very often). This isn't very different from a character missing an arm, and so forth. I would also give them Movement 1 (Slithering).

Comment

Actually, I AM playing 2nd Edition (what can I say? I'm a fan). After this discussion, I've decided to ignore a Disability Drawback (have their physiology issues more of a plot-device instead), and simply give the character 1 or 2 points (depending on the length of their body) of Elongation with the Permanent Flaw.
            "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." - Clark Savage, Jr.

Comment

Working...
            X