Questions on Concealment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Concealment

I am currently attempting to replicate a power occurring in a particular fictional universe, and for various reasons, Concealment is the power I'm making the base power from. To describe the power succinctly, it is a suppressible Perception Filter power that, when turned on, causes all biological creatures observing the user (whether directly or remotely) to be incapable of remembering them or objects they're interacting with, causing the observers to continually forget the user until the power is turned off unless they have an immunity to mental/memory-alteration powers. Recording equipment still detects and records the user when their power is active, but anybody watching the cameras/listening to the mic would not realize that the camera/mic were picking up any video/audio of this person (although when the power is turned off they would remember seeing/hearing them on the camera/mic). This power tends to fool super-senses as well, although there are cases of particularly powerful super-senses detecting them while the power is active, even though they were at odds with the supers other senses. There are two cases of individuals being immune to the power in the original canon (the first of which may very well be fanon extrapolation): the first is a character whose power set includes, among other things, absolutely perfect memory (I can't remember if she detected the user in canon or if it's just people arguing out the ramifications); the second was an AI, who was not biological and so could observe the user even when their power was active.

Obviously, Concealment was the place to start. Due to the rather particular way this power works, I decided to cheat just a little and make it Concealment 12, applying to all the normal sense types plus tactile. The Concealment power officially says that it's not appropriate for Tactile senses, and that Insubstantial should be used instead, but the character has not gained the ability to be untouchable, just undetectable by biological creatures by means of touch, so I felt that Concealment (Tactile) was appropriate even though it's not technically legal. From there, I thought to add Subtle 2, because even though Concealment was assumed to be Subtle in 2e (and presumably still so in 3e), it feels appropriate. Finally, an important extra for this ability: Insidious. Insidious is very odd on Concealment: if the target was never detecting you, Insidious Concealment works just like regular Concealment. But if they were looking at you, and then you turned on your power, it would sort-of replicate the memory alteration part of the power: not only do they no longer detect you, they don't even realize they should be able to detect you.

...I think. Admittedly both I and my GM are a bit...questionable about this particular application of Insidious, so I thought I'd make an account and collect people's opinions. If people are interested in a more in-depth exploration of the possible ways to stat up this power, or aren't fond of the "Insidious Concealment=Memory Alteration" plan, I can post a more detailed description of the character and their power, so that you don't have to play too much 20 questions getting bits and pieces of the characters power out of me.

Re: Questions on Concealment

Can someone who sees this character walk by notice them and react (say, by attacking them) on the spot?

If no, then I think the power is fine as built above. I personally wouldn't call for Subtle and am fine with extra ranks of Concealment that apply to tactile sense. Other GMs may differ.

If yes, but other characters forget about it after the fact, then I don't believe Concealment should be used; Concealment is for when you can't sense something in the first place (like an invisible person). In this case I would say the character probably has some kind of perception range, reaction Affliction with transform memories as the 3rd degree, or more elegantly and cheaply, a 1pp Benefit that people don't remember events involving you -- kind of like a reverse Eidetic Memory.

There was a discussion on a similar topic last year, which you can also look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Ysariel View Post
      Can someone who sees this character walk by notice them and react (say, by attacking them) on the spot?

If no, then I think the power is fine as built above. I personally wouldn't call for Subtle and am fine with extra ranks of Concealment that apply to tactile sense. Other GMs may differ.

If yes, but other characters forget about it after the fact, then I don't believe Concealment should be used; Concealment is for when you can't sense something in the first place (like an invisible person). In this case I would say the character probably has some kind of perception range, reaction Affliction with transform memories as the 3rd degree, or more elegantly and cheaply, a 1pp Benefit that people don't remember events involving you -- kind of like a reverse Eidetic Memory.
      If the power is active, nobody (or at least no biological creatures) can notice them; the creature can perceive them, but it "forgets" them before that perception turns to noticing/recognition, and continually "forgets" them in this manner for as long as the power remains active. So...I think the answer to your question is "no", they couldn't notice or react? It's essentially invisibility, except it applies to most senses, and alters memories. Insidious is useful for simulating the memory alteration aspect, in that it allows for turning the power on in front of somebody and preventing them from realizing what happened. The difference between "can't see anybody in this room...they disappeared in front of my eyes!" and "can't see anybody in this room...guess this room's clear then" is important, at least for this power's purposes, and Insidious does the job (I think).

There was a discussion on a similar topic last year, which you can also look at.
      Was a good read, some interesting ideas in there. Thanks!

Comment

This strikes me as one of those "too perfect powers" that I'd disallow. You have got to give targets a chance to overcome/resist them. If you can do anything and they stand no chance of detecting you, you have a plot device or a GM Fiat and not a power. To me, this is better suited to a GM-controlled effect that the affected players would get an HP for and have to find a way to overcome. But this is so easily abused as a player power, seemingly allowing you do whatever you want with no chance for consequences.

A Transforming effect would allow for a resistance check.

Some powers are better suited to fiction or at least toned down for an RPG.
        Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Sounds like Imp from the "Worm" storyline. Cool!

I'll admit though: as absolute as this power is (normally) supposed to be, it almost qualifies as a PL X ability. But it's really not on the same level as a reality-manipulation power. That being the case, were I GMing (and were I to allow the power, which I might if the player wasn't abusive,) I'd allow exceeding normal power level caps for this to work.

I'd combine Concealment and Affliction: the first for immediate observations, the latter for memory-alteration. As the power is so strong, I'd require Concealment 20, Resistible by Will. This should be high enough that most other characters will never actually hit the DC, but makes it so that machines can still record. (Add Affects Others for an extra 20pp cost if you want the character to be able to conceal others they touch.)

Then, link it to: Affliction 20, Third Degree Only (Transformed), Continuous, Perception Area, Overcome & Resisted by Will. As soon as someone observes the character, they get hit by the effect, and presumably fail. Their mind is then transformed to forget the character's presence.

Total cost: 20pp + 60pp = 80pp. Honestly seems just a little too cheap, but your GM could always just add 5 more ranks to make it cost 100pp instead.

If the character has to put effort into suppressing the power (rather than making it active,) that's a simple zero-cost extra: the power's suppression is Sustained.

This should model what I think you want: the character could hold someone hostage, asking them questions while she suppresses her power, then if she screws up, she could just let the power activate and wipe the hostage's memory of her, after which she turns it back off to start over.

I'd be interesting in seeing how you finally decide to build this, and how well it works, if you wouldn't mind posting the results.
          Last edited by Rush; 2nd February 2017, 09:13 AM. Reason: Perception AREA, not range!
          My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
          Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
            This strikes me as one of those "too perfect powers" that I'd disallow. You have got to give targets a chance to overcome/resist them. If you can do anything and they stand no chance of detecting you, you have a plot device or a GM Fiat and not a power. To me, this is better suited to a GM-controlled effect that the affected players would get an HP for and have to find a way to overcome. But this is so easily abused as a player power, seemingly allowing you do whatever you want with no chance for consequences.

A Transforming effect would allow for a resistance check.

The potential OP nature of the power has both me and the DM worried, so we're looking at the various ways to overcome it. This potentially includes, but is not limited to: the Eidetic Memory fear, Immunity 2 (Memory Alteration), Immunity 5 (sensory effects), Immunity 10 (mental effects), Immunity 30 (Will save effects) {even though it doesn't offer a save, immunity to mental effects falls under its umbrella), Super-Senses that don't fall under the six main sense types, Super-Senses that Counter Concealment.

Originally posted by Rush View Post
            Sounds like Imp from the "Worm" storyline. Cool!
            Eerie coincidence, huh?

I'll admit though: as absolute as this power is (normally) supposed to be, it almost qualifies as a PL X ability. But it's really not on the same level as a reality-manipulation power. That being the case, were I GMing (and were I to allow the power, which I might if the player wasn't abusive,) I'd allow exceeding normal power level caps for this to work.

I'd combine Concealment and Affliction: the first for immediate observations, the latter for memory-alteration. As the power is so strong, I'd require Concealment 20, Resistible by Will. This should be high enough that most other characters will never actually hit the DC, but makes it so that machines can still record. (Add Affects Others for an extra 20pp cost if you want the character to be able to conceal others they touch.)

Then, link it to: Affliction 20, Third Degree Only (Transformed), Continuous, Perception Area, Overcome & Resisted by Will. As soon as someone observes the character, they get hit by the effect, and presumably fail. Their mind is then transformed to forget the character's presence.

Total cost: 20pp + 60pp = 80pp. Honestly seems just a little too cheap, but your GM could always just add 5 more ranks to make it cost 100pp instead.

If the character has to put effort into suppressing the power (rather than making it active,) that's a simple zero-cost extra: the power's suppression is Sustained.

This should model what I think you want: the character could hold someone hostage, asking them questions while she suppresses her power, then if she screws up, she could just let the power activate and wipe the hostage's memory of her, after which she turns it back off to start over.
            ...that'd be perfect, but I'm not seeing that as an option...wait, okay, I think I see it: it's not mentioned as an option for Concealment, but it's mentioned as an option for the similarly functioning Insubstantial. Awesome!

And yeah, that's among the things I'm hoping to be able to do with it. I'm meeting with the DM on Saturday to talk things over, should be fun.

I'd be interesting in seeing how you finally decide to build this, and how well it works, if you wouldn't mind posting the results.
            Probably will; hopefully whatever we come up with has enough holes in it that it can be a fun power to have that doesn't auto-no-sell everybody in the setting (like a certain Undersider does): she's the inspiration, to be sure, but I'd rather not be quite so untouchable. Might end up expanding the power in other directions as well...

Comment

There are plenty of options to make sure the power isn't disruptive. If you used concealment, then applying the resistable flaw (see the hero's handbook, pg 150) gives anyone of equal or higher PL a good chance to resist the effect. (Various forms of Immunity don't protect from concealment unless you have this flaw, since concealment by default has no resistance check.) You can add enemies with counters concealment, which beats concealment automatically. And since you said that non-biological entities are immune, just tack on a quirk of Limited to biological. Humans forget them, but zombies and Ultron fight them just fine. Between those 3, I wouldn't mind the power in my game on a PC with slightly undercapped defenses to compensate for the fact that they'll be effectively harder to hit most of the time.

Comment

With the exception of equipment, here's the character I ended up going with, after talking things over with the DM. "Unnoticeable" is essentially a potential way around Super-Senses that still allows an additional huge way to get around that part of the power. Furthermore, the direction we ended up taking the power was more "they aren't present" rather than "they don't exist": rather than the power blocking off all memories of the character, it just blocks off memories of their presence in the immediate vicinity, which is much less broken because it allows opponents to plan for my arrival when my power is on (whether or not I'm present), rather than forcing the DM to either give them a cheat past my power or be continually surprised by me.

Abilities (12)
                • Strength 0
                • Stamina 2
                • Agility 1
                • Dexterity 1
                • Fighting 1
                • Intellect 0
                • Awareness 1
                • Presence 0

Defenses (26)
                • Dodge 6
                • Fortitude 5
                • Parry 6
                • Toughness 0
                • Will 9

Skills (44)
                • Acrobatics 9
                • Athletics 9
                • Close Combat: Short Blades 13
                • Deception 9
                • Expertise: Law 9
                • Insight 12
                • Intimidation 9
                • Investigation 12
                • Perception 9
                • Persuasion 9
                • Ranged Combat: Firearms 13
                • Stealth 0
                • Technology 5
                • Vehicles 14

Advantages (39)
                • All-Out Attack
                • Benefit 5
                  • Cipher 2
                  • Security Clearance
                  • Wealth
                • Connected
                • Contacts
                • Defensive Roll 3
                • Eidetic Memory
                • Equipment 20
                • Improved Aim
                • Improved Initiative 2
                • Luck
                • Power Attack
                • Ultimate Effort: Stealth
                • Well-Informed

Powers (29)
                • Forgettable (3)
                  • Feature 1: Easily Forgotten (reverse Eidetic Memory, essentially)
                    • Innate (+1)
                    • Insidious (+1)

• Perception Filter (26)
                  • Blank Mind (7)
                    • Immunity 10 (mental effects)
                      • Sustained (+0/rank)
                      • Automatic (+0/rank)
                      • Linked: Imperceptible (+0/rank)
                      • Linked: Stealthy (+0/rank)
                      • Linked: Unnoticeable (+0/rank)
                      • Insidious (+1)
                      • Subtle 2 (+2)
                      • Distracting (-1/rank)
                      • Activation: Move (-1)
                  • Imperceptible (12)
                    • Concealment 12 (auditory/mental/olfactory/radio/tactile/visual)
                      • Automatic (+0/rank)
                      • Linked: Blank Mind (+0/rank)
                      • Insidious (+1)
                      • Distracting (-1/rank)
                  • Stealthy (6)
                    • Enhanced Stealth 24
                      • Automatic (+0/rank)
                      • Insidious (+1)
                      • Distracting (-1/rank)
                  • Unnoticeable (1)
                    • Concealment 2 (other senses/super-senses)
                      • Automatic (+0/rank)
                      • Insidious (+1)
                      • Activation: Standard (-2)
                      • Check Required: Stealth vs Perception (-1)

"Automatic" is the "instead of auto-off Sustained-on, this power is auto-on Sustained-off" thing that Insubstantial has, applied to a bunch of other Sustained powers that are linked. We are aware that this isn't how "Check Required" technically works, but we figured an opposed roll vs the Super-Sensors Perception was fairer than a +25 vs DC 12 to avoid Super-Senses forever. As was suggested by others (both here and elsewhere), defenses are generally lower than PL limits, with the exception of Will at +10.
                Last edited by AvatarVecna; 5th February 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Nice compromise. Dropping the more problematic aspect of the power probably won't even impact how the character is played too much. And instead, the concealment works on recording devices too. Looks like a well-designed, fun spy-type character to play.
                  My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                  Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

While I like your concept, I've got a few issues with that build:
                    - The hero is, in fact, completely undetectable with no save allowed, a bit too powerful for my taste. As Ysariel already suggested, I'd use the Resistable (will) flaw, this nicely fits the power's descriptor (messing with people's minds)
                    - The combination of the Distracting flaw & the Automatic modifier is, while technically possible, extremely odd. Since you're distracted by a power that's naturally "on" (so you must actively suppress your power for not being distracted).
                    - What's the char's PL? As I see, he's got a total Stealth modifier of 25, which requires PL 15.
                    - What's the point of the Insidious extra here? Insidious deceives the affected victim into believing that nothing's wrong, and is typically used for attack effects. Standard Concealment or Illusion are factually insidious" by default (they'd be pretty useless otherwise).
                    https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
                      Well said.

(Not pointing any finger anywhere, least of all to the OP. I mean well said in a sweeping kind of way that many of us forget when creating characters for any game in any system...)
                      [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops View Post
                        - The combination of the Distracting flaw & the Automatic modifier is, while technically possible, extremely odd. Since you're distracted by a power that's naturally "on" (so you must actively suppress your power for not being distracted).
                        I interpret that to mean the character is distracted while suppressing their power. The whole time they're coordinating with teammates, or explaining to citizens how to escape the burning building, they're vulnerable. It fits the character that was being modeled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops View Post
                          While I like your concept, I've got a few issues with that build:
                          - The hero is, in fact, completely undetectable with no save allowed, a bit too powerful for my taste. As Ysariel already suggested, I'd use the Resistable (will) flaw, this nicely fits the power's descriptor (messing with people's minds)
                          "Completely undetectable" is part of the point, and beyond that it's not even true. special senses (including Counter Concealment) exist and can bypass the standard Concealment going on, and while I have an ability the DM is allowing to bypass such special senses, that one requires an opposed check, which means that sufficiently perceptive mooks can potentially get lucky, and my odds of fooling the big supervillains is probably gonna be pretty low. Beyond that, immunities and non-biological recording can still catch the character dead to rights, in a world where both immunities and AIs are likely going to be much more common than they were in the original source material.

Intention with the Distracting (as somebody sussed out below) is that because the character has to concentrate to maintain the power, but it isn't quite as intensive as the Concentration duration, the Distracting flaw applies when they're suppressing their power.

- What's the char's PL? As I see, he's got a total Stealth modifier of 25, which requires PL 15.
                          That's an error on my part, I was going off what I vaguely remembered the PL cap was. I guess it's PL+10, not sure why I thought it was PL+15...

- What's the point of the Insidious extra here? Insidious deceives the affected victim into believing that nothing's wrong, and is typically used for attack effects. Standard Concealment or Illusion are factually insidious" by default (they'd be pretty useless otherwise).
                          Actually, no they're not. They're subtle be default, but Subtle and Insidious do different things: subtle makes it hard to tell a power is being used, while Insidious makes it hard to tell a power is having any effect. Consider the following situation: two versions of this dude (let's call the 055-A and 055-B) get ambushed while detectable, and fall unconscious due to sleeping gas grenades or something. 055-A (who has non-Insidious Concealment) is undetectable, but the enemy stills knows that 055-A is present albeit invisibly, but 055-B (who has Insidious Concealment) is undetectable, and the enemy doesn't realize that he's undetectable. This is the way me and my DM agreed that it made sense to incorporate the memory alteration aspect: when my power is active, the enemy doesn't realize I'm present, even if they previously were aware of my presence. They still know about my existence (which still makes this a downgrade from the original power), but they don't realize I'm present unless they have either an immunity due to descriptors, or a special sense that can see past it with an opposed Perception check.

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                          I interpret that to mean the character is distracted while suppressing their power. The whole time they're coordinating with teammates, or explaining to citizens how to escape the burning building, they're vulnerable. It fits the character that was being modeled.
                          This was the intention on that point, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarVecna
                            Actually, no they're not. They're subtle be default, but Subtle and Insidious do different things: subtle makes it hard to tell a power is being used, while Insidious makes it hard to tell a power is having any effect. Consider the following situation: two versions of this dude (let's call the 055-A and 055-B) get ambushed while detectable, and fall unconscious due to sleeping gas grenades or something. 055-A (who has non-Insidious Concealment) is undetectable, but the enemy stills knows that 055-A is present albeit invisibly, but 055-B (who has Insidious Concealment) is undetectable, and the enemy doesn't realize that he's undetectable. This is the way me and my DM agreed that it made sense to incorporate the memory alteration aspect: when my power is active, the enemy doesn't realize I'm present, even if they previously were aware of my presence. They still know about my existence (which still makes this a downgrade from the original power), but they don't realize I'm present unless they have either an immunity due to descriptors, or a special sense that can see past it with an opposed Perception check.
                            Ah, I see. Allright, this actually makes sense, I stand corrected.

"Completely undetectable" is part of the point, and beyond that it's not even true. special senses (including Counter Concealment) exist and can bypass the standard Concealment going on, and while I have an ability the DM is allowing to bypass such special senses, that one requires an opposed check, which means that sufficiently perceptive mooks can potentially get lucky, and my odds of fooling the big supervillains is probably gonna be pretty low. Beyond that, immunities and non-biological recording can still catch the character dead to rights, in a world where both immunities and AIs are likely going to be much more common than they were in the original source material.
                            But such special senses capable of bypassing this Concealment are exceedingly rare, and the agent's opponents cannot even conciously use a powerstunt to emulate such special senses: You eloquently pointed it out yourself, the power is INSIDIOUS, so they aren't even AWARE that there's some undetectable dude around messing with them. And speaking of the Check Required flaw of the "Unnoticable" power, your stealth rank is totally maxed out, few characters of your PL can beat that.

Intention with the Distracting (as somebody sussed out below) is that because the character has to concentrate to maintain the power, but it isn't quite as intensive as the Concentration duration, the Distracting flaw applies when they're suppressing their power.
                            I read Rush's comment, but I waited till I got your statement.
                            It's an interesting idea, but do you still consider it a valid flaw in this case, or at least a full-ranked flaw? Being distracted in "social" situations (where you have to suppress your Concealment) is worth much less than in combat. Personally, I'd go for a 2pt Quirk instead. But hey, if your GM's OK with it, all power to you.
                            Last edited by Bothrops; 7th February 2017, 04:41 PM.
                            https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarVecna View Post
                              Beyond that, immunities and non-biological recording can still catch the character dead to rights, in a world where both immunities and AIs are likely going to be much more common than they were in the original source material.
                              Just to point out, Concealment by default works on non-biological recording devices. If you just want simple invisibility to not be caught on camera, nothing extra is needed, just Concealment 2 (or 4, for all visual senses.) Usually, Resistable is added to make the effect more of a psychic one, allowing cameras to catch the character, but also giving characters a saving throw. As you have one of those downsides, I'd recommend a Quirk (or at least a Complication) to factor that in.

Consider the following situation: two versions of this dude (let's call the 055-A and 055-B) get ambushed while detectable, and fall unconscious due to sleeping gas grenades or something. 055-A (who has non-Insidious Concealment) is undetectable, but the enemy stills knows that 055-A is present albeit invisibly, but 055-B (who has Insidious Concealment) is undetectable, and the enemy doesn't realize that he's undetectable. This is the way me and my DM agreed that it made sense to incorporate the memory alteration aspect: when my power is active, the enemy doesn't realize I'm present, even if they previously were aware of my presence. They still know about my existence (which still makes this a downgrade from the original power), but they don't realize I'm present unless they have either an immunity due to descriptors, or a special sense that can see past it with an opposed Perception check.
                              That's actually fairly clever.

Comment

Working...
                              X