Continuous Flight explanation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous Flight explanation

Someone in a game is asking why Continuous flight is so expensive for what it does and I can't give an explanation besides well continuous is +1 per rank.

For 1/rnk when knocked out, incapacitated or unable to use it you can hover in mid air or gently float to the ground

Now a continuous damage effect, control effect or entangle entangle when knocked out, incapacitated or unable to use it makes sense at 1/rnk but Flight? The effect is the same : movement zero or gently float to the ground regardless orf rank. You can even hover in place with normal flight at no extra cost.

Any GM using alternative ruling on this and what is it? Or a good rationale behind the cost besides the prevention of being splatted?

Re: Continuous Flight explanation

I think you can take 1/rank extras with only some of the ranks, but I'm not sure if you can do that with duration. If you could take continuous 1, then you would have flight 1 when unconscious. that woiuld cost flat 1 Point

Comment

Continuous Flight also turns back on ASAP when Nullified (unless the Nullify has a duration more than Instant). But as noted above, you gain very little from having Continuous on every rank of Flight instead of just buying Immunity to Falling Damage, or just the Movement effect Safe Fall, or even just Continuous on 1 rank of Flight as mentioned above. Point costs are wonky like that in this game.

Note that, by the book, you can't make attack effects like Damage Continuous. The closest you can get is Concentration.

Comment

Ever been knocked unconscious while in a fistfight 30,000' above Delaware?

"Man of Steel" or not, impacting into a skyscraper at terminal velocity hurts like the dickens.

Comment

I suppose there might be minor, circumstantial advantages to, say, Flight 10 that's fully Continuous; for one example, you can start flying toward your destination, then take a nap during the trip if it'll take a while. Battle armor that can automate a lot of its functions without user direction might actually get quite a bit out of the feature.

But yeah, in general if all you want is the actual mechanical effect of not falling (or falling safely) when knocked out mid-flight, it makes far more sense to only spend a point or two on that, and there are several ways to achieve it.

Personally, I usually give the character a base Continuous Flight 1, and then a separate Flight ability (even if using the same power) that simply Stacks with the first; in effect, only spending one point on the unconscious hover/safefall feat. As a GM though, I'd have no problem allowing a flat 1pp extra that effectively did the same thing if the player wanted... it would certainly make for a cleaner build, even if not "by the book."
          My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
          Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Partial Extras and Flaws are totally "by the book," so Flight 10 (Extras: Cotinuous [1 Rank]; Flaws: Distracting [1 Rank]) is totally kosher.

Comment

Working...
            X