Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mental Communication & Detection Powers: Have I got this right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Communication & Detection Powers: Have I got this right?

Ok, let me see if I've got this straight:

Mental Communication w/2 ranks = send thoughts to anyone within 1 mile. (how do I target someone? can I just find out Person A is outside a mile because I can't reach them?)
    If I add 'Area' = send thoughts to everyone within 1 mile.
    If I add 'Selective' = not everyone within the mile, just those I want. (Again, how do I choose?)
    There is an old standby that says a 1 point feature added to the power lets the receiver 'talk back' to you the same way, setting up 2-way communication.

Mind Reading is normally Range Perception but if I add the 'Area: 30ft burst' extra, it then becomes: pick a point using Perception. Everyone within 30ft of that point is targeted (and they all get a Dodge check for 1/2 the effect).
    Again, Selective is used to pick and choose who is affected. (Is it weird that you can physically 'dodge' a mental effect this way?)

Detect Minds
    Start with a Senses power. Choose 'Detect' with the subject of 'minds'.
    Make it ranged so I can do it from afar (-1/10 base, add extended to increase that)
    Make it acute so I can pick out some detail (it's an animal, it's a person, etc)
    Make it accurate so I can pinpoint their location/target them with powers (Perception ranged powers I assume, though if I know where they are I can aim there even if I can't see them)
    Make it analytical for even more detail (It's a sleeping person, they have a low IQ, it's a hostile/it's a civilian, etc)
    Make it radius and it works in all directions. (without this, it only works in the way I am facing?)

How does the Perception check to use this power work? Is it active or passive? What's the base DC for a mind? 0? 10?
    Do I make one Perception check, figure out how far it goes and then get the info on every mind within that distance?

Thanks for the help!
    "There is a difference between creating a superhero and creating a thought experiment on how to break the game."

Re: Mental Communication & Detection Powers: Have I got this right?

Originally posted by JfdGIV View Post
    Ok, let me see if I've got this straight:

Mental Communication w/2 ranks = send thoughts to anyone within 1 mile. (how do I target someone? can I just find out Person A is outside a mile because I can't reach them?)
    There is no targeting when it comes to Communication. You can just do it. The "target" can decide whether they want to receive or not. Outside your range, you--for the sake of KISS--just can't operate.

If I add 'Area' = send thoughts to everyone within 1 mile.
    If I add 'Selective' = not everyone within the mile, just those I want. (Again, how do I choose?)
    As with Selective under most circumstances, you just choose who you want to affect and who you want to leave out--the same goes for when you're targeting a Selective Area Damage effect.

There is an old standby that says a 1 point feature added to the power lets the receiver 'talk back' to you the same way, setting up 2-way communication.
    YMMV here. I've seen some GMs go for this at various costs: free, a Feature, an Extra. IMO, Communication is FAR too expensive for it to be anything more than a Feature.

Mind Reading is normally Range Perception but if I add the 'Area: 30ft burst' extra, it then becomes: pick a point using Perception. Everyone within 30ft of that point is targeted (and they all get a Dodge check for 1/2 the effect).
    A Perception Range Area effect does not allow for a Dodge check. Note that there's a difference between Perception Area and Perception Range Area. Example:

Perception Range Burst Area Damage would cost 4pp/rank (Damage +1, Perception Range +2, Burst Area +1). Perception Area Damage would cost 2pp/rank (Damage +1, Perception Area +1). The former does not allow a Dodge check, and the latter would allow for a Dodge check, and if successful avoid all damage.

Again, Selective is used to pick and choose who is affected. (Is it weird that you can physically 'dodge' a mental effect this way?)
    Dodging is an unfortunate built-in descriptor IMO. As with perception-based attacks, e.g. a Dazzle, your successful resistance could be covering your eyes/ears, etc. and not physically dodging out of the way (though it could be). Just like making your Toughness check, that doesn't have to be "it bounced off my chest," but could be "I instantly regenerated," or "it only looked like it hit me, but I dodged," etc.

Many characters may have the same effect, but with interesting descriptors they would look (and in some ways, act) differently. The act component is up to the GM, and should grant circumstance bonuses and apply equal penalties, e.g. the way sonics might work differently than fire, etc.

Detect Minds
    Start with a Senses power. Choose 'Detect' with the subject of 'minds'.
    Make it ranged so I can do it from afar (-1/10 base, add extended to increase that)
    Make it acute so I can pick out some detail (it's an animal, it's a person, etc)
    Make it accurate so I can pinpoint their location/target them with powers (Perception ranged powers I assume, though if I know where they are I can aim there even if I can't see them)
    Make it analytical for even more detail (It's a sleeping person, they have a low IQ, it's a hostile/it's a civilian, etc)
    Make it radius and it works in all directions. (without this, it only works in the way I am facing?)
    Bang on.

How does the Perception check to use this power work? Is it active or passive? What's the base DC for a mind? 0? 10?
    Do I make one Perception check, figure out how far it goes and then get the info on every mind within that distance?
    Typically, Senses are Reactions in that they take no time if called for by the GM, e.g. make a Danger Sense check or a Perception check to spot the ninja using Stealth. When you actively make a Perception check it's typically a Move action, like using your Detect Minds effect, though like with a lot of the game, YMMV.
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Re: Mental Communication & Detection Powers: Have I got this right?

Fantastic!

Thanks for the rundown!
      "There is a difference between creating a superhero and creating a thought experiment on how to break the game."

Comment

Working...
      X