A player wants to buy a power to find things underground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A player wants to buy a power to find things underground

So a player wants to have an archaeologist day job PC who has a large suite of Sensory powers along with Mind Reading/Mind Control. Fine. What he also wants is his "Sense" power or Remote Sensing power to do is help his PC find things underground to justify being a world famous Archaeologist. This isn't exactly clear to me, so I said I'd think about how to do it right.

Dirt/Rock/Water can be considered forms of concealment, except sometimes his PC will want to see Stone buildings buried underground. This could be useful in adventures (finding the villain's secret underground base) so I don't want to just one off it as a one point Feature.

My gut feel is Extended Sight (say, x3, so can see in 10,000 ft increments) with Penetrates Concealment (4) with a Feature thrown in on the side should be sufficient for 8pp total. He would be able to find anything buried underground, as well as being able to see through water and see things on the Ocean floor.

Alternatively, we could go with Detect, which for 2 points gives a range of 10 feat, and Extend the Range for another 3pp, so for 5pp, he could have the power "Detect things of interest underground" at a range of 10,000 ft.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Thunder_Hammer; 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM. Reason: thought about it some more

Re: A player wants to buy a power to find things underground

Well, the main difference I see between your options is acuteness. With the vision option, he'd be able to say "There's a chest about a hundred feet down with silver filagree and a complicated-looking lock". With detect he'd get "There's something beneath this spot".
    "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

he could get more with detect but hed need to add things like analytical and accurate and acute

so using the above chest as example

Detect = theres something below ground

Detect w accurate = theres something below ground, there at that spot

Detect w accurate and acute = theres a chest below ground there at that spot

Detect w accurate acute and analytical = theres a chest below ground there with silver filigree and made of wood.
      Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by catsi563 View Post
        he could get more with detect but hed need to add things like analytical and accurate and acute

so using the above chest as example

Detect = theres something below ground

Detect w accurate = theres something below ground, there at that spot

Detect w accurate and acute = theres a chest below ground there at that spot

Detect w accurate acute and analytical = theres a chest below ground there with silver filigree and made of wood.
        On that note; it's possible for a sense to be acute but not accurate. For example, hearing is acute so you can distinguish individual sounds, but it isn't accurate beyond vaguely being able to tell direction.
        Formerly Narsil.

Comment

Actually you can apply any modifier to a sense as long as the gm approves.

hearing for example is acute as noted by default, it can be upgraded to be accurate as well as analytical if points are spent.

default senses

vision accurate ranged acute
          hearing radius ranged acute
          olfactory its listed is radius for smell, its says non acute but I disagree with that entirely, as youc an distinctly tell the differnces in various smells, and the human tongue has 6 different taste buds which differentiate tastes so both should be acute by default.
          Tactile close range radius accurate, and a limited acute as you can tell the differences between rough smooth cold hot etc.
          Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by catsi563 View Post
            Actually you can apply any modifier to a sense as long as the gm approves.
            Oh I know, that's where you get characters like Daredevil from. I was just using the base default senses as examples.
            Formerly Narsil.

Comment

How often is this going to come up in an actual adventure?

Unless you have an unusual plot where it will, just say 1 point feature and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder_Hammer View Post
                My gut feel is Extended Sight (say, x3, so can see in 10,000 ft increments) with Penetrates Concealment (4) with a Feature thrown in on the side should be sufficient for 8pp total. He would be able to find anything buried underground, as well as being able to see through water and see things on the Ocean floor.
                I think the -1 per 2 miles (well, 1.894 miles) is overkill. The Cayman Trench is 25,216 ft deep. The Marianas Trench is 36,070 feet deep. These are places where humans are turned into bloody smears by the water pressure.

Archaeology is the study of human activity, and we generally our settlements on the surface. Yeah, ancient settlements get buried under sediment and rock over time, but not miles worth. Pompeii, for example, was buried under 25 metres of volcanic material. Even trying to investigate the possibility of human settlements under portions of the Black Sea (the hypothesis is that 7600 years ago, the Black Sea, while still large, was a good deal smaller and that human settlements were flooded when Ice Age melt-off caused the Med to crack through the Bosphorus) wouldn't need Extended 3, as the Black Sea is 7,257 ft at the deepest spot. Any potential ancient human settlements wouldn't be deeper than that.

So basically, at Extended 3 and Penetrates Concealment there is no human settlement he couldn't find. Making him good enough to be world famous would probably only need Extended 1. At Extended 2, he could render all modern archaeology texts null-and-void. If you're suppossed to GM him, and want to be able to reference anything I wouldn't allow past Extended 1 on this power.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
                  I think the -1 per 2 miles (well, 1.894 miles) is overkill. The Cayman Trench is 25,216 ft deep. The Marianas Trench is 36,070 feet deep. These are places where humans are turned into bloody smears by the water pressure.

Archaeology is the study of human activity, and we generally our settlements on the surface. Yeah, ancient settlements get buried under sediment and rock over time, but not miles worth. Pompeii, for example, was buried under 25 metres of volcanic material. Even trying to investigate the possibility of human settlements under portions of the Black Sea (the hypothesis is that 7600 years ago, the Black Sea, while still large, was a good deal smaller and that human settlements were flooded when Ice Age melt-off caused the Med to crack through the Bosphorus) wouldn't need Extended 3, as the Black Sea is 7,257 ft at the deepest spot. Any potential ancient human settlements wouldn't be deeper than that.

So basically, at Extended 3 and Penetrates Concealment there is no human settlement he couldn't find. Making him good enough to be world famous would probably only need Extended 1. At Extended 2, he could render all modern archaeology texts null-and-void. If you're suppossed to GM him, and want to be able to reference anything I wouldn't allow past Extended 1 on this power.
                  Good point. I think Extended 1 or 2 is plenty.

Originally posted by chosenredead View Post
                  How often is this going to come up in an actual adventure?

Unless you have an unusual plot where it will, just say 1 point feature and be done with it.
                  I was thinking about it and wanted to be able to differentiate the capability into different powers as a thought exercise.

Comment

Working...
                  X