Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Metal Armour

Hi guys!

So I've been building a character that creates and manipulates metal, and I have this idea for a power stunt that I really just can't get my head around! Normally the metal is used to create cover for hiding behind, or weapons to fight with or whatever, but the stunt involves essentially creating a suit of armour for another player to boost their toughness for an encounter or two.

I was thinking a few ranks of toughness with the Affects Others modifier, but the armour isn't going anywhere, and once it is formed he doesn't have to focus on it so he's free to do other things. I don't know how to balance it.

And, in the same vein, what do you think the logistics would be for creating weapons for my teammates?

I'd love to know your thoughts!

Re: Creating Metal Armour

Protection, with the Affects Others and Continuous Duration extras... Maybe a few ranks of Impervious if you want it to be really tough. Do note, however, that this will be subject to the campaign Power Level limit.

Creating weapons is basically just a descriptor for the Damage Effect, with any appropriate extras/flaws to model the weapon you created: ranged for guns, reach for spears, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Holyhoopy View Post
      Hi guys!

So I've been building a character that creates and manipulates metal, and I have this idea for a power stunt that I really just can't get my head around! Normally the metal is used to create cover for hiding behind, or weapons to fight with or whatever, but the stunt involves essentially creating a suit of armour for another player to boost their toughness for an encounter or two.

I was thinking a few ranks of toughness with the Affects Others modifier, but the armour isn't going anywhere, and once it is formed he doesn't have to focus on it so he's free to do other things. I don't know how to balance it.

And, in the same vein, what do you think the logistics would be for creating weapons for my teammates?

Like you said it would just be Protection Affects Others, but if it's stunt in an array it would have to be Sustained (same cost) or Continuous for +1 (Permanent powers can't be in an array). Now with how caps work most people wouldn't be able to get much benefit from it, unless you also gave it -X to Dodge and Parry, equal to the Protection ranks.

Creating weapons would be the same, but with Damage Affects Others. Once again caps may cause a problem depending on receiving characters Fighting and Strength scores, so you may want to include the Inaccurate quirk for every 2 ranks of Damage.

EDIT: Batgirl being the sneaky ninja she is beat me to it .

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Do you have any thoughts about how that would last between encounters?

And also, as a side note, do the sustained and continuous modifiers work though a use of the Variable power? I know that they don't with an array, as the alternate effect modifier states only one power can be active at a time, but I can't see anything like that for Variable.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Do you have any thoughts about how that would last between encounters?

And also, as a side note, do the sustained and continuous modifiers work though a use of the Variable power? I know that they don't with an array, as the alternate effect modifier states only one power can be active at a time, but I can't see anything like that for Variable.
          Sustained would last as long as you are able to perform Free Actions, Continuous lasts indefinitely until you decide to turn it off. Now the GM may decide that after an encounter or two that the power stops, especially if it's a power stunt, but that'll up to him.

Depends, what do you mean by sustained and continuous "working" through use of the Variable power? The Variable power is sustained by default, so you'd have to increase the duration of the Variable power itself to really get any continuous effects through it. If you create an array with the power points from Variable, they'd follow the usual duration rules, same with if Variable is under a different array.

Comment

Another thing you could do is talk to your other players at the start. They could use the description that you made them armour, without actually having you pay any points. So it might be they have toughness 10, and the description is that you gave them 3 of it, and the other 7 came from their own abilities, but they spend all the points, and you don't worry about actually statting it out. This also alleviates the caps concern.
            Ragtop, Autobot! And Zeanthara, Are You a God?
            Fenix, in the Merge, and Alicia DeVries, in the Cosmic Merge
            Supe of the Justice League Academy

Comment

Originally posted by luketheduke86 View Post
              Depends, what do you mean by sustained and continuous "working" through use of the Variable power? The Variable power is sustained by default, so you'd have to increase the duration of the Variable power itself to really get any continuous effects through it. If you create an array with the power points from Variable, they'd follow the usual duration rules, same with if Variable is under a different array.
              So I was thinking if a hero had a rank or two in the Variable power, the would be able to spend those to build powers on the fly during encounters. If they applied that to use Toughness with Affects Others and the Continuous modifiers, on his next turn would the hero be able to apply the Variable power to create an Affliction, with the Toughness power from the previous turn continuing? No arrays in play, just the same power on different turns for different effects.

Obviously this all depends on if the fluff fits, as Variable relies a lot on descriptors and rule of GM, which is cool, but it was just a thought that I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelphine View Post
                Another thing you could do is talk to your other players at the start. They could use the description that you made them armour, without actually having you pay any points. So it might be they have toughness 10, and the description is that you gave them 3 of it, and the other 7 came from their own abilities, but they spend all the points, and you don't worry about actually statting it out. This also alleviates the caps concern.
                It would take a little pre-empting, but it would be a neat and clean way of pulling it off, yeah!

Comment

Have you thought about the Create effect? You could just create the weapons you need and the armor would be like a cover. The enemy would have to destroy it in order to hit your friends. However, it says on the rules it blocks incoming AND outcoming attacks, so maybe the GM will require it to have the selective modifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Twister View Post
                    Have you thought about the Create effect? You could just create the weapons you need and the armor would be like a cover. The enemy would have to destroy it in order to hit your friends. However, it says on the rules it blocks incoming AND outcoming attacks, so maybe the GM will require it to have the selective modifier.
                    The Create Effect doesn't really do this, it's basically for Green Lantern or Firestorm style "big objects out of nowhere" power sets.

Comment

If your allies already have their Toughness/Defenses at cap, one option to still "give them armor" might be Enhanced Trait X (Impervious Toughness X; Extras: Affects Others, Continuous)

This won't impact their Toughness/Defenses cap, but it will make their existing Toughness better. Heck, since Impervious is limited to their basic Toughness it will even be sort of "tailored" as the fast nimble Spider-Man in the group gets "lighter armor" than the big beefy Hulk.

You could do similarly for giving them weapons. Presumably they already have at least some of their Attack/Effect options at cap, so to still "give them weapons" you might consider Enhanced Trait X (Improved Critical X; Extras: Affects Others, Continuous)

Making the archer's arrows that much sharper, giving the martial artist gauntlets, whatever.
                      Last edited by Batgirl III; 06-17-2016, 07:45 AM.

Comment

So I was thinking if a hero had a rank or two in the Variable power, the would be able to spend those to build powers on the fly during encounters. If they applied that to use Toughness with Affects Others and the Continuous modifiers, on his next turn would the hero be able to apply the Variable power to create an Affliction, with the Toughness power from the previous turn continuing? No arrays in play, just the same power on different turns for different effects.

Obviously this all depends on if the fluff fits, as Variable relies a lot on descriptors and rule of GM, which is cool, but it was just a thought that I had.
                        Ah ok, so pretty much if you switched the Variable points around to create Toughness with Affects Other and Continuous, would you be able to switch those same points around to Affliction, while keeping the Continuous power active? If that's the case, no because the "old" power doesn't have any points allocated to it anymore. Now if you had points left over in Variable then you could switch those around to create an Affliction power while keeping the "Armor" power up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
                          The Create Effect doesn't really do this, it's basically for Green Lantern or Firestorm style "big objects out of nowhere" power sets.
                          Exactly! As the OP said, the character can create and manipulate metal. I think it's perfect!
                          And if it requires metal to do his stuff, just add a "Limited- requires metal" modifier to it. Oh, and permanent to make it last until is destroyed or nullified.
                          Last edited by Twister; 06-17-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Hi guys!

I have this character, from a fantasy/steampunk game I run.

THE IRON WIZARD PL 4
                            Abilities: Str 0/2, Sta 0, Agl 2, Dex 0, Fig 0/4, Int 3, Awe 2, Pre 1
                            Defense: Toughness 0/6, Dodge 2, Parry 2, Fortitude 4, Will 4
                            Offense: Initiative +2; Heavy Staff +0/+4 (Close, Damage 2/4), Unarmed +0/+4 (Close, Damage 0/2)
                            Advantages: Artificer, Equipment, Ritualist
                            Equipment: Heavy Iron Staff (Str-based Damage 2), orb of the prime (as GPS), glowrod (provides illumination), rogue’s cape (as urban camo clothing)
                            Skills: Athletics 3 (+3/+5), Expertise: Magic 5 (+8), Insight 2 (+4), Perception 3 (+5), Stealth 1 (+3)
                            Powers:
                            Iron Magic: Iron Body: Enhanced Abilities 6 (Str +2, Fgt +4), Enhanced Strength 2, Limited to Lifting, Immunity 9 (All Environmental Conditions, Critical Hits, Suffocation), Protection 6, Noticeable (Body covered by thick adamantite-like armor, -1 point), Reduced Defenses 4 (Parry -4); Sustained • 24 points
                            Iron Grimoire: Quickness 6, Limited to Spell Research (-2), Removable (-0 points) • 2 points
                            Abilities 16 + Defenses 8 + Skills 7 (14 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 26 = 60 points
                            The Iron Wizard’s Grimoire allows him to make routine spell research (in his case, anything costing up to 8 power points) in record times. Usually, an 8-PP-ritual requires 32 hours to research; the Iron Wizard can do it in just about one hour. Rituals costing more than 8 PP or jury-rigged rituals require the normal time to research and perform.
                            Favorite researched spells include:
                            Enchant Weapon: adds Linked Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed; Dazed and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Prone), Extra Condition, Limited Degree • 4 points. Enchanted weapons last for a scene. Research: 16 hours (15 minutes with the Iron Grimoire). Perform: 40 minutes (DC 14). Jury-rig: 4 rounds, DC 19.
                            Metal Lure: Damage 4, Triggered • 5 points. This spell creates a rune in a door, portal, box, etc., that explodes in tiny metal shards when the object is opened without a password first being spoken. Research: 20 hours (30 minutes with the Iron Grimoire). Perform: 50 minutes (DC 15). Jury-rig: 5 rounds, DC 20.
                            Summon Automata: Perception Range Summon Animated Object 2, Heroic, Limited to Available Objects, Limited to Metal Objects • 8 points. This spell imbues a metal object in the wizard’s line of sight with animation and a semblance of life, making it a 30-PP construct under the wizard’s control and subject to the series Power Level. Research: 32 hours (1 hour with the Iron Grimoire). Perform: 80 minutes (DC 18). Jury-rig: 8 rounds, DC 23.
                            Weapon Call: Create Weapon 2, Continuous, Limited to Metal Weapons, Permanent, Innate, Precise • 6 points. This spell permanently creates a real and totally functional melee or ranged metal weapon (without ammunition). Research: 24 hours (30 minutes with the Iron Grimoire). Perform: 60 minutes (DC 16). Jury-rig: 6 rounds, DC 21.
                            The Iron Body power could easily be described as an armor invocation.
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5902-AGE-DRAGON-AGE-STUFF-Characters-Creatures-etc-NEW-GENLOCK-NECROMANCER-amp-RISEN-OGRE"]My Dragon Age Thread: Characters, Organizations, Optional Rules, Items, Monsters and More[/URL]
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1589-Dragon-Ball-AGE"]My Dragon Ball conversion for AGE (incomplete)[/URL]
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1478-ICARUS-STUFF-MORE-PL-4-Archetypes-(Street-Fighter-Shotoclones)"]My M&M3E Builds[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                            X