No announcement yet.

[3e] How does Grabs and Fast Grab work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e] How does Grabs and Fast Grab work?

My group is playig M&M for the first time in a couple of week, using the quickstart character generator. One of the players is making a martial artist with the dragon style, which gives him Fast Grab. I'm not sure I've understood Fast Grab, how many rolls are needed for the grabbing once the attack roll is successful?

How does the resistance check work? Do the target do it automatically, or is it an action on their turn? do you add 10 to your strength for the Resistance roll, and could you use Dex if you had Grabbing Finesse?

Re: [3e] How does Grabs and Fast Grab work?

I also had a question about grabbing, and was about to start my own thread. Hope you don't mind another related question!

The rules say that trying to escape from a grab is a move action. Since any character can substitute a standard for a second move, and being grabbed doesn't affect how many actions a character can take, does every character get two chances to try and escape a grapple? I've tried looking everywhere for rules and this, and haven't been able to find anything...

Comment

First you make an attack check. If you hit (attack roll is equal to or better than their Parry+10), then the target makes a Resistance check (the better of their STR or Dodge) vs. your STR rank +10. The Resistance check doesn't take any time (it's a Reaction).

So if your attack roll was an 18 and they had Parry 8, you'd hit. Let's say your STR was 10. They'd need to make a DC 20 resistance check and say their Dodge was better than their STR, so they'd use that.

If they meet or exceed DC 20, they're not Grabbed. If they fail by 1-5 points they're Restrained (Immobile and Vulnerable). Two or more degrees (6+) leaves your opponent Bound (Defenseless, Immobile, and Impaired).

Fast Grab means you can attack and in the same round start a Grab. Resolve the unarmed attack normally, then the target makes the Grab resistance check (your unarmed attack counts as the initial attack check). However the Grab plays out, any successful effects start on the next round.

Since the Escape check is a move action, you can attempt this twice per round, giving up your Standard action in its place.
      Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

How about Grabbing Finesse, Would the DC be Dex+10 for the Resistance Save?

Comment

Right.

Grabbing Finesse just lets you swap your DEX for your STR, so if you were DEX 5 and STR 2, you'd use DEX and it'd be DC 15. This is aimed at martial artists and the like, though IMO DEX is not worth it unless you make use of Ranged Attack, Sleight of Hand and Vehicles.
          Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

There are also some other important Advantages you'll want to look over if you're building a dedicated grappler (or a martial artist that wants to have a strong grappling option as a secondary means of attack) among these are Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, and Chokehold.

I am a big fan of these Advantages and will usually incorporate some or all of them in my own characters. Because, dagnabbit, there's just something fun about interrupting the Big Bad Evil Guy's villainous monologue with a suplex.

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
              There are also some other important Advantages you'll want to look over if you're building a dedicated grappler (or a martial artist that wants to have a strong grappling option as a secondary means of attack) among these are Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, and Chokehold.

I am a big fan of these Advantages and will usually incorporate some or all of them in my own characters. Because, dagnabbit, there's just something fun about interrupting the Big Bad Evil Guy's villainous monologue with a suplex.
              Of course there can only be one response to this.
              [SIZE=2][FONT=comic sans ms][I][URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7721-WAIFU-WARZ-Squirrelly-s-Anime-and-Animation-Builds"]I Build Waifus and Waifu Accessories![/URL][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X