Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuous Power, but duration is limited.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous Power, but duration is limited.

Hello,

This is my first post here; I hope this is right.

I want to build a power* with a continuous duration. However, once activated, it only lasts for x number of rounds. Anyone out there have any idea on how to build this?
    I'm using M&M3e, and so far the closest I've got is using the Unreliable modifier - the 5 use only version. Reading it though, leaves me with the impression that the power could be activated 5 times before needing a recharge, but each activation would be continuous, meaning the character can keep it on for as long as they want.

Is it safe to just use Unreliable the way I want? I'm the GM, so I know the answer there is yes, but what I mean is... is that going to cause problems that I can't see because this is my first time using the system at all.

Thanks!

*In case you need it: the power in question is a Summon Duplicate effect; thematically a Teleport power where the character can, for a limited time, be in two places at once.
    "There is a difference between creating a superhero and creating a thought experiment on how to break the game."

Re: Continuous Power, but duration is limited.

For that option of Unreliable, each round the power is active is considered "one use". See 'Fades' on pg 147, which the description of Unreliable points you to.

Comment

Yes, using 'Unreliable: 5 uses' on a Continuous power, would mean that after 5 rounds of the power being active, it would stop working, as per Ysariel's comment. You would then need to recharge (which is specifically undefined, but generally is longer than a given scene, and could take multiple scenes if appropriate.)
      Ragtop, Autobot! And Zeanthara, Are You a God?
      Fenix, in the Merge, and Alicia DeVries, in the Cosmic Merge
      Supe of the Justice League Academy

Comment

Oh! It does work that way. That's great.

I thought the reference to Fades was just in regard to how to 'recharge' it between scenes or what have you.
        I suppose, if I wanted to get really complicated, I could try and figure out how to represent a time limit other than 5 rounds but that's for another day!

Thanks for the clarification.
        "There is a difference between creating a superhero and creating a thought experiment on how to break the game."

Comment

Originally posted by JfdGIV View Post
          I suppose, if I wanted to get really complicated, I could try and figure out how to represent a time limit other than 5 rounds but that's for another day!
          If you wanted a much longer duration, that's probably a quirk; e.g., Quirk (Only lasts an hour) for a flat -1 or Quirk (Only lasts a minute) for a flat -2. Mind you, I'm not saying those are definitely the fairest values to use; in practice, an hour's length might not even be an inconvenience for some abilities, while for others it would cripple the power significantly. You'll have to judge each combo. I just think there's room for two levels of Quirk: one for a "short" duration and a second for a "very short" one.
          [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
          Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

There is always also the Complication of not being able to sustain the power for a prolonged amount of time. When it becomes an issue (say on Round 6, your force field drops and you get pasted), you get a Hero Point. If your character is exerting heroic effort to maintain it ("Hold the line!"), you spend that Hero Point to overcome the Complication for a reasonable duration.
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Back in 2e, there was an extra named Independent, which did exactly this. In 3e, Cloud Area & Secondary Effect are the extras to go closest to this.
              An idea to bring back this extra as a houserule:
              Independent (flat extra; 1pt):
              Applied to a sustained effect, this modifier makes its duration independent of the user and based instead on the number of the effect's ranks. The effect occurs normally and then fades at a rate of 1 rank of effectiveness per round until it is gone. While it lasts, it requires no attention or maintenance from the user, like a continuous duration effect, although it can still be countered or nullified (also like a continuous effect). The user further has no control over the effect. This is like a combination of the Duration (continuous) and Fades modifiers (only the effect's manifestation fades, the effect itself can still be used at will). An Independent Alternate Power continues to function even when the Array is switched to a different configuration. The Independent modifier may only applied to the Create, Environment, Illusion*, Move Object**, Obscure*** and Transform**** effects (the GM may allow exceptions, though).

*to avoid confusion, the current Independent extra for Illusion (allows controlling active Illusions as a free action) should be renamed "Responsive" when using this houserule
              ** "static" Move Object effects only, such as Wind Tunnel or Gravity Field
              ***this is the variant Obscure effect from Power Profiles: Sensory Powers
              ****an Independent Transform effect requires the Total Fade extra (see below)

Total Fade (flat extra; 1pt):
              Applied to an effect with the Independent or Fades modifier, this extra makes the effect last at its full effectiveness (ranks) for a duration of rounds equal to half its ranks (round up). After that time, it ends completely.

Slow Fade (ranked flat extra; 1pt/rank):
              Applied to an effect with the Independent or Fades modifier, this extra adds additional ranks (1 for 1) to the effect, which count for fading only. That means for each rank of this extra, the effect gets one extra round/use of full effectiveness before fading sets in. When combined with the Total Fade extra, 2 ranks are required for each round/use of fading-delay.
              https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

Hourman's limitation is done as a complication, though lengths that might run out during a scene could be flaws.

Comment

Working...
                X