Continuous create in an array

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous create in an array

What would happen if you used a continous create effect and then switched to another power in the array?

Would the item disappear?
    Would you be unable to dismiss it? Would you be able to once you switched back?

Re: Continuous create in an array

The definition as per the HH:

Continuous: The effect lasts as long as you wish, without any action required on your part. Once active, it stays that way until you choose to deactivate it (a free action).
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

So it will stay active even if you don't have the power?

Comment

If you have the effect in an array and you activate it, then switch slots of the array, the effect will continue until you turn it off.

Comment

Eh, we've discussed this elsewhere. That's one ruling. My ruling is that as soon as you switch slots in the array, it goes away, regardless of duration.
          Ragtop, Autobot! And Zeanthara, Are You a God?
          Fenix, in the Merge, and Alicia DeVries, in the Cosmic Merge
          Supe of the Justice League Academy

Comment

As per the rules stated under Alternate Effects: "Alternate Effects cannot be used or maintained at the same time as other Alternates in the same array; they are mutually exclusive."

It does not matter if a Power has Continuous or not. If you switch to another Power in the Array the previous Power turns off - it no-longer has any points allocated to it. The only way to maintain a Continuous Power would for it to be Dynamic - and then it would need to function with another Dynamic Power in the Array; and would function at a reduced level.

There are some rulings that can allow for Create to be an exception, but that is up to the GM to decide upon.
            Last edited by Black Mamba; 06-06-2016, 05:19 PM.
            的n this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Comment

Steve said in the old 2e ORQ that Continuous Create remains after switching an array.

I've allowed for Continuous Environment to persist when switching an array, too.

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
                Steve said in the old 2e ORQ that Continuous Create remains after switching an array.

I've allowed for Continuous Environment to persist when switching an array, too.
                Which is why I said there are some exceptions with Create. Of course using your own words to me back at you, 3E is not 2E, and what Steve said in 2E doe not necessarily hold true in 3E.
                的n this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Comment

True, but the 2e rulings can certainly be used as precedent and as guidance. It's always going to be up to the GM.

Personally, I don't see it as abusive or disruptive. It's not like we're talking about Continuous Damage.

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
                    True, but the 2e rulings can certainly be used as precedent and as guidance. It's always going to be up to the GM.

Personally, I don't see it as abusive or disruptive. It's not like we're talking about Continuous Damage.
                    I do not see it as a major problem myself, but I still think it is something that needs to be evaluated by the GM and ruled upon as legal by him rather then just assuming it is RAW-legal. Almost anything can be exploited by a clever player; and players generally outnumber the GM when it comes to cleverness.

Comment

Um, why not use Permanent, with or without Innate?

Comment

Originally posted by rtrimmer View Post
                        Um, why not use Permanent, with or without Innate?
                        Well first, Permanent Powers cannot be put into an Array as per the RAW in 3E: "Permanent effects cannot have Alternate Effects, nor can they be Alternate
                        Effects (since they can稚 be turned on and off)."

Second, Permanent is a Flaw, and as such should make the Power weaker not more versatile or powerful.

Comment

I rule that Create (and Continuous Transform) are exceptions to powers turning off when switching arrays, and I do allow Permanent Create in an array. "RAW says" has never convinced me of anything, given all the ridiculous things RAW also says.

Comment

I think the key here is the type of players you are gaming with. Players that are abusive with the rules - either knowingly or unknowingly - need the stricter rules to keep things in check.

But if you have players that look at something, see that it is abusive, and don't do it because it takes away the fun for everyone else; then you can be a bit more lenient with the rules.
                            [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ysariel View Post
                              "RAW says" has never convinced me of anything, given all the ridiculous things RAW also says.
                              Such as? What are all these rules that are wrong; and I do not mean wrong because you do not like them?

Comment

Working...
                              X