Designed a couple of powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designed a couple of powers

Designing my first campaign and I need help designing the first antagonists. One is a thug that gets stronger every time he punches. The second one gains strenght or powers by consuming the victim's flesh.

Re: Designed a couple of powers

Lacking more detailed information about your concept(s), I'd propose giving the first thug simply Enhanced Strength with a Limited flaw. The flesheater could be given Enhanced Strength with a Source (flesh) flaw. Alternatively, he/she/it could be given a Mimic-Variable (traits of catalyst) with a -3 flaw (must consume the catalyst's flesh). The latter power was described in the Power Profiles: Meta Powers.
    https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

An alternative to Enhanced Strength that I have used for modeling Madder Hulk Gets, Stronger Hulk Becomes! type powers is Improved Critical that activates in stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops View Post
        Lacking more detailed information about your concept(s), I'd propose giving the first thug simply Enhanced Strength with a Limited flaw. The flesheater could be given Enhanced Strength with a Source (flesh) flaw. Alternatively, he/she/it could be given a Mimic-Variable (traits of catalyst) with a -3 flaw (must consume the catalyst's flesh). The latter power was described in the Power Profiles: Meta Powers.
        The first one is a variant of the X-men villain Sebastian Shaw. The more he is he hit, the stronger he becomes by storing kinetic energy. This enemy becomes stronger the more the fight goes on. I was thinking on stacking more powers as it goes on. Not much because he's supposed to be a starter villain, though. Also, how would your edirect fire? In the sense of cotnrolling the flames of a previous fire (maybe one that the enemy set) and redirecting it towards an enemy? How would you calculate the damage for that?

Comment

The catch to "Boost" type power concepts is the Power Level cap. This makes it a very tricky power set for Player Characters... Since if they have any meaningful change in potency they had to either start well below the effective Power Level of the rest of the team (which isn't much fun) or they break the limits to end up more powerful than the rest of the team (which isn't much fun for everybody else)... NPC bad guys don't have to worry about this.

Also, how would your edirect fire? In the sense of cotnrolling the flames of a previous fire (maybe one that the enemy set) and redirecting it towards an enemy? How would you calculate the damage for that?
          On the subject of manipulating flame via telekinesis-type powers (a la X-Men jobber Pyro or Avatar-like "flame bending") I find it easiest just to use the Move Object Effect, but instead of affecting a given amount of Mass use an equivalent Volume. Move Object 10 normally lifts 25 tons of mass, thus it would instead move 1,000 cu. ft. of flames. Add the Damaging Extra and/or appropriate Alternate Effects, and you've got yourself a solid pyromancer, here's how I'd start things out:

Pyrokinesis Move Object 7 (125 cu. ft.; Extras: Perception Range, Precise [+1]; Flaws: Limited to Fire, Quirk: Use Volume instead of Mass [-0]) [ 15 PP ]
          AE: Flamethrower Damage 4 (Extras: Area [60' Cone], Incurable [1], Secondary Effect); Enhanced Advantage 2 (Precise Attack [Close; Cover and Concealment]) [ 1 PP ]
          Last edited by Batgirl III; 05-31-2016, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
            The catch to "Boost" type power concepts is the Power Level cap. This makes it a very tricky power set for Player Characters... Since if they have any meaningful change in potency they had to either start well below the effective Power Level of the rest of the team (which isn't much fun) or they break the limits to end up more powerful than the rest of the team (which isn't much fun for everybody else)... NPC bad guys don't have to worry about this.

On the subject of manipulating flame via telekinesis-type powers (a la X-Men jobber Pyro or Avatar-like "flame bending") I find it easiest just to use the Move Object Effect, but instead of affecting a given amount of Mass use an equivalent Volume. Move Object 10 normally lifts 25 tons of mass, thus it would instead move 1,000 cu. ft. of flames. Add the Damaging Extra and/or appropriate Alternate Effects, and you've got yourself a solid pyromancer, here's how I'd start things out:

Pyrokinesis Move Object 7 (125 cu. ft.; Extras: Perception Range, Precise [+1]; Flaws: Limited to Fire, Quirk: Use Volume instead of Mass [-0]) [ 15 PP ]
            AE: Flamethrower Damage 4 (Extras: Area [60' Cone], Incurable [1], Secondary Effect); Enhanced Advantage 2 (Precise Attack [Close; Cover and Concealment]) [ 1 PP ]
            That's amazing. Thank you. This fire guy is their first opponent. Nothing too serious. Just to introduce them to crazed superhumans. The name is Scorch

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
              The more he is he hit, the stronger he becomes by storing kinetic energy. This enemy becomes stronger the more the fight goes on.
              Suggestion:
              Kinetic Absorption
              Impervious Sustained Protection +Linked Enhanced Strength (Fades, Limited to ranks of absorbed damage)
              Whenever this guy is hit with damage, he's adding the damage ranks to his strength (up to his maximum Enhanced Strength rank). This extra strength will gradually fade away when used, but the Fades flaw will be "resetted" whenever he's hit.
              For further utility, you can add some AEs based of his strength damage, these will get also stronger alongside his increasing strength.
              Last edited by Bothrops; 05-31-2016, 04:57 AM.
              https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

One more question: What does the acid descriptor actually do? I always used Weaken Stamina or Weaken Toughness to depict something that can melt my opponents.

Comment

One more question: What does the acid descriptor actually do? I always used Weaken Stamina or Weaken Toughness to depict something that can melt my opponents.
                  As with any descriptor, the Acid descriptor does whatever the GM thinks makes sense. Anyone with Immunity (Acid) will shrug it off (or people with other descriptors that match such as perhaps Immunity (Chemical) or Immunity (Solvents)), anyone with Complication (Power Loss: Protection doesn't work against acid) will be vulnerable, etc. Past that, someone with a Base or Chemical descriptor is in a good position to use a Counter action. Ditto with someone with water (to neutralize the acid). Someone in water might have a reduced effect due to dilution. Being dumped in a basic material, such as lye or baking soda, could result in you suffering an impromptu Exothermic Reaction Complication, forcing you to save versus damage if you're firing off your effect at the time.

So, in short, Descriptors have no intrinsic nature except that which you give them.
                  [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                  [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

To complement Fuzzy's post: Weaken Toughness can have many descriptors
                    - acid ("corrosion")
                    - heat ("melting" or "cutting torch")
                    - cold ("brittle")
                    - teleport ("disintegration")
                    - sonic ("shatter")
                    - nuclear ("molecular disruption")
                    - and many many more

Comment

That's awesome. Thank you all. I was revisting the superpowered cannibal and I have an idea for it. I was thinking that the power slowly fades the more the digestive process goes on (Applying the Fades flaw, of course) and I was thinking that if he feeds of another superhuman, he gets both powers but at halved effectiveness. He is a crime boss with lots of henchmen and I was thinking of the most trusted ones routinely donating the literal pound of flesh for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
                        Very nice build, I like the AE for damage much better than the Damaging Extra. I was wondering though why the fire would have Incurable, its just regular fire right?

That's awesome. Thank you all. I was revisting the superpowered cannibal and I have an idea for it. I was thinking that the power slowly fades the more the digestive process goes on (Applying the Fades flaw, of course) and I was thinking that if he feeds of another superhuman, he gets both powers but at halved effectiveness. He is a crime boss with lots of henchmen and I was thinking of the most trusted ones routinely donating the literal pound of flesh for him.
                        Sick. Awesome.
                        [b][size=3][url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/4415-jacklang-Heroes-amp-Villains]My builds[/url][/b][/size]

-----

[i][b]Tom Joad:[/b] Well, maybe it's like Casy says. A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody, then ... I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad.

- 'The Grapes of Wrath', John Steinbeck[/i]

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreat058 View Post
                          Very nice build, I like the AE for damage much better than the Damaging Extra. I was wondering though why the fire would have Incurable, its just regular fire right?

Sick. Awesome.
                          Thank you How would you stat it? Also, applying poison (Weaken Sta and Dex) would create a complication and therefore award a hero point?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreat058 View Post
                            Hmm, yeah, no real reason other than my cribbing that from my Warhammer 40,000 builds for Flamer-type weapons. Flamethrowers in that setting are described as especially nasty... This was just a quickly thrown together example. Feel free to tweak it.

Comment

Thank you How would you stat it? Also, applying poison (Weaken Sta and Dex) would create a complication and therefore award a hero point?
                              If I'm understanding your correctly, if the GM decided that you encountered an issue due to your consumption of flesh, forcing you to make a save because the particular person you feasted on was poisonous, carried a disease, etc, they might award you a Hero Point for it. Hero Points are never guarantees, and Complications should only be triggered when they are a legit issue.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X