Summoning Vehicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summoning Vehicles

Power Profiles: Summon Powers contains a "Summon Vehicle" power. It's simply Controlled Summon (3p/rank), and lets you buy vehicle traits with the 15p/rank of the regular Summon effect. Sorry, but IMHO this power was quite shoddily & thoughtlessly cobbled together by the authors, leaving me somewhat disappointed. So here are some of my thoughts:
    - If the vehicle is able of acting on its own, then it's simply a standard construct with a "passenger- & cargo space"-Feature. It is not truly a vehicle by M&M-terms - this thread is not meant for these.
    - Vehicles should be Heroic, unless you've got no problem with yours being extremely fragile (TVtropes: "Every car is a Pinto") - +2
    - The Controlled extra is IMHO unnecessary: Not only is it completely mindless (incapable of disobeying orders), it's also incapable of independent action (it must be piloted). A vehicle "obeys" whomever sitting in the driver's seat.
    - The abovementioned need of being piloted should be worth AT LEAST a -2 flaw, cancelling out Heroic.
    - A vehicle's Power Level (and thus the minimum Summon rank) should be entirely calculated by its Toughness & Defense - as the corebook says, PL 3 for most vehicles. Any weaponry doesn't count, since the vehicle needs the driver/gunner for operating its weapons - use the latter's PL instead.
    - By evaluating the Strength scores of the example vehicles in the book, I suppose the driver's own weight doesn't count against the vehicle's carrying capacity.

A suggested build:
    Summon Vehicle 3 (Heroic, Piloted [-2], General Type [choose one], Source [junk/scrap metal]) cost: 6p
    Of course, one could spare oneself that whole mess & simply buy a vehicle with the Summonable extra via equipment advantage...

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Bothrops; 05-30-2016, 03:47 PM.
    https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Re: Summoning Vehicles

Originally posted by Bothrops View Post
    - The Controlled extra is IMHO unnecessary: Not only is it completely mindless (incapable of disobeying orders), it's also incapable of independent action (it must be piloted). A vehicle "obeys" whomever sitting in the driver's seat.
    The Controlled extra allows you to summon minions that are mindless and incapable of independent action and control them. This is the power to call up a remote controlled vehicle out of nowhere and direct it with move actions. Must be Piloted would be a flaw on that.

Comment

Two ways to go about it, I think. The Summonable extra for Equipment is pretty much what I think this power is aiming to emulate, which should end up at something like 2 pp/5 EP. So, twice as expensive as a normal jet or whatever, but still pretty cheap.

What that does is give you all the usual (somewhat wonky) rules regarding Equipment. So, the GM is within their rights to say that the canyon is too narrow for the jet or any other mundane annoyance.

The other option is to just treat the summoned element as a descriptor. So, this is really just Flight X linked to limited Strength Y.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
        The Controlled extra allows you to summon minions that are mindless and incapable of independent action and control them. This is the power to call up a remote controlled vehicle out of nowhere and direct it with move actions. Must be Piloted would be a flaw on that.
        Sorry, but it's nowhere stated that the Controlled extra is a perequisite for summoning mindless minions. While your logic is, admittedly, somewhat understandable, I still disagree. Mindless minions may have a few advantages (immunity to mind effects & interaction skills, inability of disobeying orders), but these are countered by their lack of intelligence & independence; so I think making Controlled into a perequisite for them is a somewhat undue "tax". Yet even a "Summon mindless creature"-power could profit from a Controlled extra: I allow already controlled/compelled creatures to use their master's will save for resisting "hostile takeovers" (since they're already "occupied") from other wannabe-hijackers. And since mindless creatures have a will defense of zero but NO immunity to all will-effects, they would be extremely vulnerable against such attacks without the Controlled extra (robots could be hacked by a technopath, zombies taken over by a rival necromancer and so on). Yes, that's kind of a houserule, but so is yours .
        I think that summoned vehicles should be considerably cheaper than regular mindless minions. The latter still possess some limited autonomy, they will carry out their last orders independently, and they won't crash into obstacles or tumble into pits. But Vehicles are not creatures and must be directed every round or they'll get out of control.

Originally posted by Unbeliever
        Two ways to go about it, I think. The Summonable extra for Equipment is pretty much what I think this power is aiming to emulate, which should end up at something like 2 pp/5 EP. So, twice as expensive as a normal jet or whatever, but still pretty cheap.
        True. I begin believing this to be the better solution: MUCH less of a headache.
        https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

Working...
        X