Regeneration Power... OP AF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regeneration Power... OP AF?

Alright, so I thought I knew the Power's effect, but upon re-reading the entry, there seems to be a whole sentence I missed, and it's confusing me. I thought it was simply "remove a -1 Toughness check penalty per Rank divided evenly between 10 rounds" i.e. Regeneration 5 removes a -1 Toughness check penalty every other round. However, the Power's description starts by stating "Remove penalties to your Toughness checks due to damage equal to your Regeneration Rank each minute". So if I'm interpreting this correctly, using Regeneration 5 as an example, every 10 rounds (one minute) the character removes -5 penalty to Toughness checks and an additional -1 every other turn? Is this a typo or am I misreading the text?
    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Re: Regeneration Power... OP AF?

You're counting the recovery twice.

You recover quickly from damage. Remove penalties to your Toughness checks due to damage equal to your Regeneration rank each minute. You then recover other damage conditions equal to your Regeneration rank each minute, starting from your most severe condition. Spread this recovery out evenly over a minute (10 action rounds). So with Regeneration 5, you remove a –1 Toughness penalty every other round (every round with Regeneration 10, and up to a –2 penalty per round with Regeneration 20).
    So basically, with rank 5, you remove 5 ranks of damage every minute, which comes out to one every other minute. The confusion may be because, once you've healed all of your -1's, it can then work on things like Staggered or Unconscious. So, if you have a -3 and are Staggered, on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds, you heal a -1 penalty. On the 8th round, assuming you've taken no further damage, you heal the Staggered.

Under trivia, this is the opposite of how 2E Regeneration worked (well, and 2E was more complicated with different rates purchaseable for each condition and two damage tracks) where damage was always healed from your most severe condition on up. The two approaches have different dynamics with multiple conditions. In 3E, if you can inflict something like Staggered, they'll be limited in their actions for longer, since they have to heal the penalties first. In 2E, they recover from things like being staggered or unconscious earlier on, but they continue to bear that penalty that makes them easier to hurt.
    Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 05-19-2016, 06:49 AM.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Whew, alright. Sorry, just something about the way it's written made me do a double-take and then muh brainmeats got all agitated =] Thanks for the clarification and quick response, Fuzzy.
      "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
        You're counting the recovery twice.

So basically, with rank 5, you remove 5 ranks of damage every minute, which comes out to one every other minute. The confusion may be because, once you've healed all of your -1's, it can then work on things like Staggered or Unconscious. So, if you have a -3 and are Staggered, on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds, you heal a -1 penalty. On the 8th round, assuming you've taken no further damage, you heal the Staggered.

Under trivia, this is the opposite of how 2E Regeneration worked (well, and 2E was more complicated with different rates purchaseable for each condition and two damage tracks) where damage was always healed from your most severe condition on up. The two approaches have different dynamics with multiple conditions. In 3E, if you can inflict something like Staggered, they'll be limited in their actions for longer, since they have to heal the penalties first. In 2E, they recover from things like being staggered or unconscious earlier on, but they continue to bear that penalty that makes them easier to hurt.
        Well... crud.

Our group used to play 2ed, but moved to 3ed. Apparently we've been doing Regeneration wrong, still treating it like 2ed where the worst damage gets taken care of first. Hasn't been that big an issue, but seriously, thanks for clarifying the differences like that.
        My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
        Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Working...
        X