Flat power cost and a other question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat power cost and a other question

First off, i apologize if this is listed somewhere here, but i am doing this in my break.
    So... Flat payment for a power. Is it added after you formulate your power?
    I've always been confused about this.
    Also, can a power cost be zero or does it always cost 1 point?

Thanks in advance,
    Graham
    p.s. its great to be back!

Yes, Flat modifiers are added after handling the Extras and Flaws related to the rank, albeit before any "surrounding" constructs like it being part of an Array, being a power inside a Hard or Easy to Lose Device, or a power configuration of a Variable (I'll explain later).

And yes, power cannot drop to 0 or fewer points, although the GM might give you minor powers without effects for free ("So, my character glows when he uses his magic, right?" "OK... so you want Environment Control to shed light around you?" "No, he just glows." "Sounds like that's just a Descriptor for it not being subtle, maybe with a Complication that this might come back to bite him when people can target him in darkness, albeit with the penalty." "Yeah, sounds cool.")

Flat-value modifiers are applied to the final cost of an effect, after its cost per rank and total cost for its number of ranks is determined. So, for example, if an effect costs 2 points per rank, with +1 per rank for extras and –2 per rank for flaws. It has a final adjusted cost of (2 + 1 – 2) or 1 point per rank. With 8 ranks, it costs 8 character points. If the same effect also has a flat-value extra costing 2 points and a flat-value flaw worth –1 point, then you add 2 to the final cost and subtract 1, for a total of (8 points for the effect + 2 points for the flat extra – 1 point for the flat flaw) or 9 character points. modified cost + flat extra value – flat flaw value

A flat-value flaw cannot reduce an effect or power’s final cost below 1 character point.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

So, the slightly more complicated case... let's say that you happen to have Damage 8 (Increased Range, Affects Insubstantial 2). The cost of that is 8 * (1+1) + 2 = 18 PP, right? Well, if it's an Alternate Effect, you still apply that Flat Extra before checking to see if the power is not the most expensive power among those in the base and alternate effects, and therefore only cost 1 PP as an AE. If you have that attack in a gun, you would apply Easy to Lose to it on that total of 18 to subtract 7 PP. And lastly, if your character has a Variable that would justify that power, you'd use those 18 PP for how many points in the Variable Pool that the power would take up.

There are occasional confusions with people using a Flat Flaw on an AE to get a "free AE", so I figured I'd mention it as a possible caveat.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Total cost of a power is
        ranks x (base cost/rank + extras - flaws) + flat extras - flat flaws

If you want an alternate effect, that number is the maximum cost of the alternate effect. (Or if this power is the alt, the main power must equal or exceed that amount.)

The real tricky thing is when you create a dynamic alternate effect. You always add the flat modifiers to the cost of the effect.

So if you have a standard blast, 10 ranks 20 points. And another effect that is 6 ranks@3ppr + 2 flat extra. and they are dynamic. The second power must use: 5, 8, 11, 14, 17 or 20 points of the array for ranks 1 through 6. And the blast must use 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, or 20 points of the array. So some combinations are suboptimal. If the second power is set to 3 ranks (11 point) the blast can only be set to 4 ranks or fewer.

Comment

Wow thanks guys. That clears things up

Comment

Working...
          X