Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to do a cyberarm that's good for blocking melee damage for just 10 points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do a cyberarm that's good for blocking melee damage for just 10 points?

Here's the setup. PL 8, Guardians of the Galaxy-style space action with cybernetics as the main "power source" in the game. I'm working on a character with a deluxe combat cyber arm that's hardened for melee combat. Blocking with it cuts down on the damage the character takes since it's tougher than the rest of her body and has pain receptors that can be dialed down. I have 10 points in the array slot for a defensive option and I'm thinking some sort of Sustained Immunity with Half Effect.

Or this, perhaps a bit cheesy: Immunity 5 Unarmed Strikes, Immunity 5 Blades (Is that legal, since it might cover both slashing and piercing?) or Swords. Then Impervious on Toughness 6, only vs close combat damage and also Sustained. for 3 + 3 + 3 points. So that would let her ignore any punches, kicks or stabbings at damage 6 or below.

If you need more points, you can always add "Must be aware of the attack and able to interpose arm in the way." as a flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
      If you need more points, you can always add "Must be aware of the attack and able to interpose arm in the way." as a flaw.
      I wasn't sure that would be worth any points off. Defensive Roll has the same sort of limitations and yet costs the same as plain Protection, for example.

Comment

If you're looking for a cheap version, giving the cyber arm enhanced parry could be the way to go. Your idea for impervious could be good too.

Immunity 5 seems sort of inexpensive for slashing/piercing (bludgeoning is in the book for 20 points, so I'd probably give slashing and piercing 10 points apiece, although limited to bladed weapons would be a valid flaw, for 5 points apiece, 10 points for both.) and really inexpensive for unarmed strikes. If your GM is fine with that pricing, then all is well. You mentioned it's a sci-fi campaign, so blades and unarmed strikes may be uncommon enough to merit a low price, while a 5 point laser damage immunity from a normal game might be 20 points in this setting.

Unless your GM loves ambushing your characters, I'm not sure being aware of the attack and able to interpose your arm would be worth a full flaw instead of a quirk (unless there was an additional parry check you needed to make to interpose the arm, which could definitely be a full flaw). Once again, if your GM is fine with it, then it'll work.

You could try treating the arm as a separate object (interpose it for you, when it's hit, it's treated as a smash attack on the device rather than as an attack on you). You'd definitely need GM approval for this one, because it might come across as power-gaming, but it could be fun. This idea would work well with the arm being impervious, as it would be a more effective shield.

You mentioned the arm having dialed-down pain receptors. Maybe a feature that lets that arm handle things which are dangerous (like picking up a piece of metal that's too hot to handle normally or reaching into a toxic substance), sort of like the projection extra for the extra limbs effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheeljack View Post

I wasn't sure that would be worth any points off. Defensive Roll has the same sort of limitations and yet costs the same as plain Protection, for example.
          Defensive Roll is generally designed for non-super characters. It should be cheaper than Protection.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post

Defensive Roll is generally designed for non-super characters. It should be cheaper than Protection.
            Yup. A a houserule, I make the first rank of Def Roll to grant a +2 toughness bonus (so it's essentially Protection with a -1 Quirk [not when vulnerable or defenseless])

@Wheeljack: Immunity vs Damage =80, vs Physical Damage =40, vs cutting/stabbing =20
            As you describe it, the cyberarm can just function like an improvised shield. In the corebook, shields simply grant a bonus to Parry & Dodge. Honestly, I'd keep it that way (simplest solution). Enhanced Defensive Roll may also be a fitting addition.

suggestion:
            Combat Cyberarm (Array 10; 11p)
            BE Enhanced Strength 5 (Limited to single arm), Enhanced Defense 4 (Dodge +2, Parry +2), Enhanced Defensive Roll 1
            AE Mini-Missile Launcher: Perception Range Damage 10 (Resistible [Dodge], Unreliable [5 uses])
            https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-think-tank/roll-call/7149-bothrops-pit#post7149

Comment

I'd already taken care of dodge and parry through natural talent and skill wires (IE, just Enhanced Defenses). I wasn't able to find a good balance in the end. Immunity 20 Bludgeoning, Half Damage, Only from Melee Attacks would have been 7 points and Immunity 5, Swords, half damage would have been 3, then Impervious Toughness 6, only vs. Melee Attacks outside the array could have worked, but felt a little fiddly. There's a reasonable amount of close combat planned, with swords for the pirate style and tight confines in starships.

What I ended up doing was all offensive:

20 Advanced Combat Cyberarm -

*Cyberarm punch - Enhanced Strength 4 Limited to right arm + close damage 3, str-based, Weaken Toughness 8 objects only, linked to str. 8 cp Close Move Object 4, away only, linked to strength 2 cp (17 CP)

*Grind Cutters - Area Line on Damage 8 Incurable, piercing (17 cp)

*Taser Lash Affliction 8 vs will (Entranced, Stunned, Incapacitated) cumulative + Elongate 2 only to attack.

*Heavy Blaster Ranged Damage 6 Accurate 5 (17 CP)

Along with
              3 Cyberarm block - Impervious Toughness 6, close combat attacks only, Sustained

9 Hardwired for Close Combat - Enhanced Parry +8, Enhanced Advantage 1 Takedown

1 Computer Headware - Enhanced Advantage 1 Eidetic Memory

1 Wired Reflexes - Enhanced Advantage 4 Evasion 2, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Initiative 1

The block would stop average and minion punches, thugs with knives (or those razor nails!), that sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
              X