Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strength Damage Array

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Yes, it's just fine to create an AE based off of Strength damage, and you can also add in Accurate or other modifiers. In fact, I think it's just fine to go beyond just Strength and use other Attributes. I've created AEs based off of Presence to represent a D&D-like "sorcerer" who's magic was powered by personal charisma. You could do the same IMO with Intelligence to represent a "wizard", etc. Alternate Effects are very versatile.

    Comment


    • #17
      How would you use Presence when there is no Damage effect associated with Presence? I could understand "Damage, based on Presence" similar to "Damage, based on Strength". But Strength actually has a Damage effect built in (and a Move Objects effect built in), Presence does not.

      Unless you are just saying buy Presence as a Power and then create alternate effects for it. That's different.

      Comment


      • #18
        You could create Presence as a power and do it that way, but it's unnecessary. It works the same way putting an AE on Strength (damage or otherwise) does. When you are using an alternate effect of Presence, you don't have the benefit of the Attribute. It works just fine.

        Comment


        • #19
          My chief issue with directly adding a Flaw or Extra to Strength damage is that they are, by definition, "always on". Flat Extras are not, I think. Although if, as I noted, you think of it as a "Strength-Based Zero Damage" effect, then it makes perfect sense, something that are you use or do not.
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

          [b]Current games:[/b]
          [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Madwand View Post
            You could create Presence as a power and do it that way, but it's unnecessary. It works the same way putting an AE on Strength (damage or otherwise) does. When you are using an alternate effect of Presence, you don't have the benefit of the Attribute. It works just fine.
            It's not exactly the same. If you have a 800 pound object you are holding and you decide to do your area burst foot stomp, if the power is an alt of Strength. You drop the object while stomping. If it is an alt of Strength Effect, you continue holding the object. Presence doesn't have this problem.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post

              It's not exactly the same. If you have a 800 pound object you are holding and you decide to do your area burst foot stomp, if the power is an alt of Strength. You drop the object while stomping. If it is an alt of Strength Effect, you continue holding the object. Presence doesn't have this problem.
              So? Different powers or Attributes would be expected to have different consequences if you stop using them. For example, Flight vs. Blast will also have very different consequences if you switch to a different AE slot. It would be the same for Strength and Presence. This is why it would often be recommended to put AE on your Strength damage and not the lifting power, by the way... so you *don't* drop what you are holding. But you could do it either way depending on what makes sense for your PC.

              And indeed, putting an AE on any Attribute makes that Attribute by definition, Sustained. This isn't really a problem as most of the attributes you 'd want to do this with you wouldn't be using while unconscious anyway.
              Last edited by Madwand; 07-05-2019, 07:23 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                I don't know. If Awareness is sustained and you go unconscious, does your Will drop?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
                  I don't know. If Awareness is sustained and you go unconscious, does your Will drop?
                  Yes. Of course, it's almost a trope that certain Will-resisted powers can work more easily on an unconscious character, so this would be an entirely in-genre thing to happen.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
                    I don't know. If Awareness is sustained and you go unconscious, does your Will drop?
                    You can get around that if you really want. Buy your Awareness with a Limited flaw "Does not increase Will defense", and then buy your Will separately. Now your Awareness costs half as much as before, but you can use those points for your Awareness-based array and never lose your Will defense. (This is similar to the Strength-based array that only uses the damage ranks and not the lifting ranks.)

                    EDIT: As a side benefit of this, your flawed Awareness can go up to PL+10 now (the skill cap), giving you more points to spend on your alternate powers.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Tipop View Post
                      EDIT: As a side benefit of this, your flawed Awareness can go up to PL+10 now (the skill cap), giving you more points to spend on your alternate powers.
                      Only if your concept supports having PL+10 Awareness. 20 Awareness at PL10 is something the GM might question.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post

                        Only if your concept supports having PL+10 Awareness. 20 Awareness at PL10 is something the GM might question.
                        Well obviously you should build your character to match your character concept. I'm not sure how your objection applies to this discussion, though.

                        I was simply explaining how you can use your Awareness in an array without losing your Will when you get stunned, and mentioned that this would let you buy it up to PL+10.

                        Although I have to ask... why would a GM object? With the flaw I described, all it would be is Perception and Insight at the PL cap. It's just spending the points on the attribute instead of the skill, but the end result is the same.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X