Badpenny's 3e House Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badpenny's 3e House Rules

Hey everyone, I'm back from the dead. I took a long break from M&M and I decided to come back with my updated house rules (not that anyone asked for them, but here I am to inflict them on you regardless). Some of them are familiar to lots of folks, some are options from the old 2e Masterminds Manual, and even 1e!

Abilities
    • Still have issues with the AGL/DEX split and find it wholly unnecessary. I personally would eliminate it and FGT. The two DEX skills would become AGL skills. Buy Close/Ranged Combat individually.
    • PRE will get the common bonus of a free PRE-related Advantage for every two ranks purchased.
    Skills
    • Skills cost too much and are to be bought at the rate of 3/1 (except for the two combat skills). Skill Mastery (see Advantages) is overpriced and underwhelming.
    Advantages
    • Evasion is too nerfed. If you make your Evasion check by two degrees or more you can negate all damage (not just half).
    • Skill Mastery allows you to either make a Routine check or take the better of 2d20 on your roll.
    • Takedown needs some limits. See Minions under the Combat section.
    Powers/Effects
    • Affliction is problematic for a number of reasons and one of them is the Snare effect. It's very difficult to recreate this 2e power with Affliction--especially regarding all the Extras it had. Personally I'd uncouple it into a standalone power and bring back the Extras and Features (2e Power Feats).
    • Flaws: the Removable Flaw (Device) has a base Toughness of PL (10). Indestructible is an Extra not a Feature. This is the only Flaw that doesn't work like the others and needs to have discrete combat considerations. Therefore: a Device's effects degrade as they take damage.
      • With one degree of success on a damage roll, reduce the ranks of all its effects and its Toughness by 1
      • Two degrees, reduce the ranks of all its effects and its Toughness by 3
      • Three degrees, reduce the ranks of all its effects and its Toughness by 5 and choose a random effect, Extra, or Advantage/Feature to shutdown.
      • Any effects reduced to zero ranks or less are rendered inoperative. [*=1]Repair is analogous to the Recovery action, but uses a DC 20 Technology check to reduce damage levels, e.g. you have Third degree battlesuit damage and wish to restore more power to your Blast 12 (which would be reduced to Blast 7). Make your Technology check and you would step back the damage to Second degree and Blast 9. These Recover actions are Standard and are per effect your wish to recover (unlike normal Recover actions, you are not limited to one per adventure).
    Combat
    • Initiative: at the simplest level I think Initiative should be re-rolled each round. Personally I'd prefer to use the Action Order method used in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, where the GM decides who goes first (based on what makes senses narratively and/or who has the highest relevant trait, e.g. AGL or Init/Perception bonus. Thereafter the player who goes then chooses who goes next--hero or villain. This makes great tactical sense in that if you use the Aid action, you make sure the person you tag next actually gets to use the bonus. Also, it's narratively interesting when you choose a villain to go next, and of course, if the villain(s) go last, they get to pick who goes first in the next round.
    • The PL Trade-offs are unbalanced (Attack/Effect and Defense/Toughness). Attack can be helped by folding in the Multiattack Extra and eliminating the natural 20 critical hit. Defense gets help by decreasing the Vulnerable penalty to a flat -5.
    • I also prefer making Damage Rolls (or call them Effect rolls since it also incorporates non-damaging effects) instead of Resistance checks. You add your effect bonus to d20 vs a base of DC 7 + opponent's Toughness or DC 12 + opponent's Fortitude/Will. For Damage results we measure in terms of degrees of success up (instead of down):
      • One Degree: 0-4 : Hit (-1 Toughness)
      • Two degrees: 5-9 : Hit + Dazed
      • Three Degrees: 10-14 : Hit + Staggered
      • Four degrees: 15+ : Hit + Incapacitated
    • Minions: Make attacks at minions normally.
      • Minions take the maximum effect of any successful attack made against them.
      • If you have Takedown, you can attack Minions as if you were using the Multiple Target component of Multiattack, i.e. you take a -1 penalty per target that you attack. If you miss you can still attack the others.
      • In close combat, if a minion attacks you and misses by two degrees or more you can counterattack (Reaction Routine attack check).
    Conditions
    • Impaired/Disabled do not penalize Resistance bonuses (Toughness/Fortitude/Will). To affect those traits use the Weaken effect.
    • Vulnerable inflicts a flat -5 penalty to Defense (not half).
    Equipment
    • Items bought with this -4 Flaw) have a Toughness of 5 and can be destroyed with one degree of success on a damage roll. All items bought as Equipment must be designed as bog standard mundane items, e.g. a common pistol or soft body armor, not the equivalent of superhero devices. They cannot be made Indestructible and suffer other mundane consideration such as Move actions to draw them and various other penalties as the GM sees fit. Personally, this should not have been brought up from D20 as there's very little way to balance this steep discount and make it work with points and compared to Devices.
    Last edited by badpenny2; 24th May 2019, 08:36 AM.
Working...
X