Construction Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Creation

Right usually I make my stuff with generated odf or excel sheets. Some errors but nothing that cant be worked around...
    But there is none for constructs and what I see in the book, and the calculations on these generated sheets leave me confused and wondering...

How does the lacking an ability work for generating stuff like intimidation?
    For the examples they give the give stuff like stamina [-] instead of [-5], and don't make any mention of intimidaiton. Now I presume that it just cant intimidate...

But I want my giant thing to intimidate.

Now another thing For the Giant Robot they have its strength/toughness as 16, as a result of growth, but it also has protect 10? Toughness is stamina plus defense roll plus protect right? Even if their not counting protect in that....

So are these stats counted as [null], [0] or as [-5] for calculating intimidation? Essentially would I start at 0 intimidation or at -something?

Anyone know of a good contruct creation guide? (Current game only uses the main book- only one I got too)
    "There is no such a thing as a stupid question. There are only questions people find beneath them to answer, people who are beneath them to answer, questions they do not even mentally acknowledge they do not know the answer to, and questions that they do not know the answer to and it enrages them." -myself

Re: Construction Creation

Honestly, the material in the D20 Hero SRD does an alright job of explaining it (it's the same text as the book, except for product identity) for the most part. The only confusing bit is that Green Ronin tries to phrase being a Construct as a zero-sum thing, selling off 3 ability scores and buying an Immunity, whereas most PCs want to be able to take action, so they'll only buy off one, Stamina. You'll generally put points back into Intellect and Presence (or Strength and Dexterity), so being a Construct generally costs you 20 PP, -10 PP for absent Stamina and 30 PP for the Immunity.

So what does absent Stamina do for you? First, you automatically fail any Fortitude save. Good thing that you have that Immunity. Someone with Affects Objects will ruin your day, though, although many GMs give PC constructs an alternate Fortitude save in that case. Personally, I default to the lower of Toughness or Dodge, but some will choose one or the other. You start with Toughness 0, instead of the -5 you might expect for the absent value. You do not recover from damage normally, but have to be repaired (and most Healing effects will not work on you unless they have Affects Objects).

As long as you put points back into Presence (necessary to be able to take independent action), your Intimidate is fine, so don't worry about that. And yes, the Giant Robot has mistakes in its build. By the book, he should have a -8 bonus to his Parry and Dodge (which means any attack roll of 2 or above hits him) and a Toughness of 28 (12+16), which would make him PL 10 on Defense. The Hero Lab version (they generally run things by Green Ronin and sometimes get updates) instead build him with 3 points each of Dodge and Parry, to bring him up tpo -5 and change the Impervious Protection 12 to Protection 4 (Impervious 12), which puts him at a PL 7.5 on Defense with a dodge/parry of -5 and a Toughness of 20. You'll probably have to work that one out for yourself. The Hero Lab version, for reference:

Construct - Giant Robot - PL 8

Strength 16, Stamina -, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect -, Awareness 0, Presence -

Powers
    Growth: Growth 16 (+16 STR, +16 Tough, +8 Intimidate, -16 Stealth, -8 active defenses, +4 size categories, +2 speed ran; Innate; Permanent)
    Immunity to Fortitude Effects
    Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 12
    Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)

Offense
    Initiative +0
    Grab, +0 (DC Spec 26)
    Throw, +0 (DC 31)
    Unarmed, +0 (DC 31)

Languages
    Native Language

Defense
    Dodge -5, Parry -5, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 20, Will Immune

Power Points
    Abilities -30 + Powers 79 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 55

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is 2010-2015 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
    Note that all of the Sample Constructs have no Intellect or Presence, so they cannot plan and they cannot take independent action. That will not be suitable for a PC.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
      So what does absent Stamina do for you? First, you automatically fail any Fortitude save. Good thing that you have that Immunity. Someone with Affects Objects will ruin your day, though, although many GMs give PC constructs an alternate Fortitude save in that case. Personally, I default to the lower of Toughness or Dodge, but some will choose one or the other. You start with Toughness 0, instead of the -5 you might expect for the absent value. You do not recover from damage normally, but have to be repaired (and most Healing effects will not work on you unless they have Affects Objects).
      Been there done that, IT SUCKS, since the GM in that game did not allow an alternate save. Fortunately one of my teammates was a physic in that game and was able to use their powers to override the effects of the power that screwed me over.
      Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by digitalangel View Post
        Been there done that, IT SUCKS, since the GM in that game did not allow an alternate save. Fortunately one of my teammates was a physic in that game and was able to use their powers to override the effects of the power that screwed me over.
        Affects Objects and Constructs have been a problematic trick for a long time; I'm really surprised that Steve didn't put in an official alternate save when he did 3e, since the problems with the automatic failure there had been discussed extensively back in the 2e days.

Comment

But that's the thing. My construct actually is a construct, not a PC. My PC just decided to make a construct, growth size 8. It's was originally a proof of concept but plot made him decide to arm it. So.... I'm making a legit construct no presence no intelligence no stamina. And thus my confusion in making the thing. All its advantages are inherit to being a giant robot, I made devices so it's strength doesn't shatter what it's armed with, and it's powers are swing device.

But it's actual base stats elude me if I want the thing to be intimidating. With a presence of [-5] it's more humorous and that just doesn't seem right.

So how to make a construct - not a construct PC, a giant doll...
          "There is no such a thing as a stupid question. There are only questions people find beneath them to answer, people who are beneath them to answer, questions they do not even mentally acknowledge they do not know the answer to, and questions that they do not know the answer to and it enrages them." -myself

Comment

Originally posted by RecRaptor View Post
            But that's the thing. My construct actually is a construct, not a PC. My PC just decided to make a construct, growth size 8. It's was originally a proof of concept but plot made him decide to arm it. So.... I'm making a legit construct no presence no intelligence no stamina. And thus my confusion in making the thing. All its advantages are inherit to being a giant robot, I made devices so it's strength doesn't shatter what it's armed with, and it's powers are swing device.

But it's actual base stats elude me if I want the thing to be intimidating. With a presence of [-5] it's more humorous and that just doesn't seem right.

So how to make a construct - not a construct PC, a giant doll...

So you want it to intimidate even though it doesn't have a concept of what 'Intimidation' is, wouldn't have the psychological knowledge of what intimidation does to a person, and has no personality to speak of?

A giant robot pointing weapons at you is scary in the same way a hurricane is scary - Dangerous but ultimately impersonal.

In complete monotones, without inflections or change in cadence, say "I'm going to tear you apart" and decide for yourself how scary that is.

Now, a PC with a giant robot at it's command can get a great bonus to his/her intimidation check. But the robot is not doing the intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnarrel View Post

Now, a PC with a giant robot at it's command can get a great bonus to his/her intimidation check. But the robot is not doing the intimidating.
              Yeah. Its effectively just a prop to modify the Intimidation, same as pointing a big gun at someone or tearing up a chunk of landscape would be.

Comment

Ah- I get my problem now. I'm getting intimidation confused with scary... so for intimidation it would end up being the PC having Enhanced Intimidation with the limited flaw: Only with Construct. For scary... the construct would have... affliction [entranced, terror, paralyzed] resistance by will, innate?

Comment

Unless the robot is putting out some psychic terror field the affliction seems overkill.

Godzilla doesn't need to use intimidate or have an affliction affect to have the people of Tokyo run from him. It's just the smart thing to do. Same thing with a tornado. You just run from it.

If you DO want the robot to put out a pulse of something that causes fear in all who see him then you're on the right track with the affliction.
                  Affliction, Area-Perception(Sight)*, (Resist-Will, Entranced, Stunned, Paralyzed) [2pp/rank] If you want it to be everytime someone looks in his direction you want the Duration to be Sustained and an Aura/Reaction effect for another +3pp/rank

*maybe this represents the robot running menacing red lights over it's surface or spouting sparks from it's ear-gears or flames from it's maw. It would likely have to be commanded to do this.

Giving the creator an enhanced intimidate is one way to go, many GMs could just handle this as a circumstance bonus for 'show of force'.

Comment

Alternately, if the creator is programming in a threatening result, you might allow for substituting a Craft check for Intimidate for programming a scary sub-routine. Add a -5 modifier for the lack of Presence (it's hard to be scary when you're just a big blocky robot with no expression), but keep the bonus for size.
                    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                    X