Linked Tripping...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linked Tripping...

I want to Damage and Trip at the same time. There is no power associated with the Trip action, the closest I come to it is STR.
    Would it just be best to build an Affliction and tie that to Damage?

For example:
    Affliction(Martial Arts Takedown) (Resisted by Worse of Acrobatics or Athletics;Hindered, Prone) Instant Recovery, Limited Degree,Linked: Strength Based Damage

Re: Linked Tripping...

Yeah, a linked affliction would be cheap and easy to handle a trip.
    "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Technically you cant make an affliction that is resisted by a skill. And you dont want to be honest. Skills tend to go up to PL+10. Lets say you are playing at PL10 (standard). This would mean you opponent can have up to 20 in his skills, so you go up against 20+1d20 with an affliction. Affliction hits for 10+Rank. This means that even with a Lv10 Affliction you would have your 20 vs his 20+1d20 (!). This means he would be 95% immune (5% being the natural 1 he could roll)

However, you need the 2nd degree of this affliction to actually trip him, this means that your effective Affliction rating is 5 Lvs lower, which makes it even worse. For some extra salt in the wound - almost everybody has Athletics, since its a common human skill and most Superheroes/Villains arent exactly couch-potatoes. And if they are, you dont need to extra trip them (then its probably some evil scientist or summoner who you can just punch in the face and he will fall over).
      I would say go for "alternate resistance (dodge)" extra. Makes a bit more sense and will actually trip someone. Ever^^

Comment

You can easily change the affliction save to dodge or parry, as those resistances are the manifestation of avoidance within the game, anyway. Though in the back of my mind I do seem to recall a published example somewhere of an affliction getting resisted by a skill of some type.
        "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by ronyon View Post
          For example:
          Affliction(Martial Arts Takedown) (Resisted by Worse of Acrobatics or Athletics;Hindered, Prone) Instant Recovery, Limited Degree,Linked: Strength Based Damage
          Most of this would work, although your "worse of" requirement is not something that comes up in Affliction, so costing it out would be a question.

There are quite a few official Affliction-based power builds that have Alternate Resistances that allow for 2 options - Snare's Damage/Str and Sleight of Hand is an old one - but none of them allow for "worse of". I'm assuming this is based on the Improved Trip Advantage, so I would suggest that the power also be built with that Advantage, if the PC doesn't already have it.

Changing it to Alternate Resistanceodge as suggested above is certainly the most straightforward. In fact, since it's a melee attack, I'd push for making it a Parry resistance, especially since any builds that don't have equal Dodge/Parry usually favor Dodge to help against Area attacks.
          My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
          My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
          [/URL]
          I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Great replies. I favor the Parry resistance, do you think I would need to pay extra for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ronyon View Post
              Great replies. I favor the Parry resistance, do you think I would need to pay extra for it?
              I wouldn't require parry to cost extra. Since parry, on average, might be a little higher then most people's will or fort it doesn't seem like it should cost more.

Comment

Originally posted by Monolith View Post
                I wouldn't require parry to cost extra. Since parry, on average, might be a little higher then most people's will or fort it doesn't seem like it should cost more.
                Hmmm. I've actually observed more characters stint on Parry than on Fortitude/Will. Its possible for operating procedure to minimize the need for Parry, but not the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreamer View Post
                  Hmmm. I've actually observed more characters stint on Parry than on Fortitude/Will. Its possible for operating procedure to minimize the need for Parry, but not the others.
                  I find that dodge/parry and toughness are generally going to be closer to pl maximums then the fort and will trade. Plus you also have to take into account what type of game you're running. Someone doing a Gotham City game is probably going to see a lot more characters shifted to dodge/parry over toughness: Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, etc. And while parry might often be purchased lighter then dodge it's seldom going to more then a point or two difference.

Comment

Most of this would work, although your "worse of" requirement is not something that comes up in Affliction, so costing it out would be a question.
                    I'd call that a Variable Descriptor, for a flat 1 PP. After all, if I built an Affliction X with Alternate Resistance (Parry) and then Alternate Effect'd an Affliction X with Alternate Resistance (Acrobatics) it'd just cost the single PP.

Comment

I don't much care about emulating the Trip action that closely.
                      Given that either if these Skills is likely to outstrip the ranks of affliction, worse of the two seems more than fair.

Comment

Working...
                      X