Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The limits of Tether and the implications of Permanent Create..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The limits of Tether and the implications of Permanent Create..

Create with the Tether Extra. What, if any , limits are there on the distance between the created object and the character?
    Could The Leather Man have his newly created gimp suit walk out the door to hail a taxi, to go pick up pizza?
    Could IceBurger send his giant snowball to roll over NYC while he stays in Canada?
    I know these are not minions, or summons, I just want to know if The Iron Monger can wield his twenty new swords from a mile away?
    All of these examples presume Remote Sensing via Medium (X).

Now to Permanent Create. The objects don't just go away, so does that mean you could use up all of your capacity for Creation?
    This question assumes that at any given time you can only have X Mass and Volume with X Ranks of Create , and I am not even sure that is true...

Re: The limits of Tether and the implications of Permanent Create..

Tether is a 1p extra, and I've never considered it to allow for any level of manipulation beyond pulling the created object toward you. And considering that Create is Ranged by default I can't imagine a reasonable situation where you'd need a tether longer than the maximum range distance (Rank * 100'). YMMV

As for Permanent Create, my take on it is that your rank describe how much you can make per turn as opposed to ever. With the default Sustained Create, you have to maintain what you've made with a free action, but for Continuous Duration (that thing that most people forget about when talking about Create) you don't need to maintain it, you can just keep making more every turn, and you can make it all vanish whenever you want with a free action. Permanent Flaw removes the ability to make it vanish. In theory, if you had a simple ice power (Create 1, Permanent) you could make enough ice blocks to build an entire castle; it would just take you a while, certainly longer than say ten rounds of standard combat. With Create 10, you could build that castle much faster.

Often this train of thought leads players to thinking about manufacturing arms and armor for hundreds of people, apparently because they want to roleplay a warlord or arms dealer. And I suppose you could, and I won't tell say you can't have fun that way, but I don't really see it myself.
    My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
    My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
    [/URL]
    I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

"Tether: You have a connection to your created objects, allowing you to exert your own Strength to move them (provided you are strong enough to do so)."

It doesnt say anything about being able to perceive in any way with those. Basically you would need the Senses power - and a extremely beefed one, since it has to have great range, be romote and probably some more. All the stuff combined you can just as well get yourself minions and it would be probably cheaper. Also you would have to control your remote Sense AND your Objects, thus giving a good reason why you need a standard action for both of those.

Comment

I mentioned that Remote Sensing would be needed.Using Remote Sensing is a Free action....
        I thought Tether was used for wielding Force Objects by the the Green Lanterns.
        Sounds like I will want to use Movable instead.

Comment

Sorry, overread the thing with remote sense then^^.
          Lanterns use Hard Light, it has no weight, only kinetic force. It also always has a connection to their ring, so technically they are still connected to the object. The good of it is, that they can be easily moved at will, the bad thing is that you cant disconnect your constructs and kind of leave them there and that you cant crush anyone beneath them :3
          Also, any effect you would cause with those requires its own power - basically the rings use the same basics as Magic in 3rd edition - you have your Hard Light Create and stuff like Strike, Blast, Improved Grab and so on as its alternate power effects.

To put it simple - move object costs more and is better, as long as you wouldnt be strong enough to move your own creations, while Tether allows you to manipulate objects at a distance, as long as you are strong enough. The key difference is your own strength and the weight of your creations.
          Last edited by Battleforger; 12-06-2014, 04:39 AM.

Comment

That sounds like Tether would work in for my example uses.
            Moveable is cheap enough that I'll just use that and avoid the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X