Resurrection power 20-minutes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrection power 20-minutes?

Well, have been looking through some things and got pretty confused on the resurrection power - basically one can resurrect, but only if minutes x rank have passed. This seems kind of strange, because even Lv60 Heal would allow you to get someone back into life an hour after his passing tops.

I mean, we can time travel, shape reality, jump through dimensions...but we cant revive someone who died a couple of hours ago Oo? Everything else has a time rank, but not this power.

Also, could a work-around be Immortality + Affect Others extra? So basically Immortality Lv20 as an affect others would take one round to bring someone back from the dead? Affect Others basically says after all that it can be applied to a personal-range effect (which immortality is) and stops working once are unable to maintain the effect, so you would basically have to be in contact (and i guess awake) until the person regenerates and awakens.

I mean, there are heroes like White Lanterns or Elixir - sure, those are uber-powerhouses, around PL30, but even those couldnt save anyone who passed away a day ago with the normal healing rules (one needs 1440 Lvs of Heal+Resurrection for every 24 hours)

Anyways, suggestions? I kind of thought it would be a useful power for an angelic hero or maybe valkyrian one to be able to actually bring things to life, even if he missed the taxi and came half an hour late.
    Last edited by Battleforger; 12-02-2014, 05:02 PM.

Re: Resurrection power 20-minutes?

It would be more consistent with the rest of the system if the Resurection Extra for Healing was designed to use the Progression Table. I honestly hadn't noticed that before... Because I've never had it used as a power. Ever. Death is a pretty rare thing in M&M3e.

You could probably cobble together a power like you describe through Affects Only Others and Immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
      It would be more consistent with the rest of the system if the Resurection Extra for Healing was designed to use the Progression Table. I honestly hadn't noticed that before... Because I've never had it used as a power. Ever. Death is a pretty rare thing in M&M3e.

You could probably cobble together a power like you describe through Affects Only Others and Immortality.
      Well, yeah, i know, the system isnt supposed to be deadly. Its kind of like "well, yeah, he just blasted you in the face with a deathray...the one that kind of went through the hole planet and then some...but you are still just incapacitated, you know. An hour or two of sleep and hot chocolate and you are dandy again"

I was rather talking about minions aka collateral damage the villains are causing. Or in case the scenarios get grittier and more serious that the usual transformers cartoon plot (aka all goodies are wearing plotarmor, all baddies arent killed because the goodies are good). Not saying its bad, i loved transformers back then XD

Comment

Death can and does happen in M&M, but by default, it doesn't happen at the random whim of the dice. It only happens when the players and Game Master want the death(s) to have an impact on the story.

M&M isn't a simulationist game that models reality to dice mechanics; it's a storytelling game that models action-adventure comic books and spin-offs.

The plus side of that is that you can tweak the Powers however you like if you think it will be better for the story you want to tell. Want to extend the time on Resurection? Ask you GM about paying an extra +1/rank for each incremental increase on the Time Progression column of Ye Bigge Olde Chart.

Comment

If your GM is willing, I figure a straight-across +0 Extra to make the Time Rank of recoverability equal to Healing Rank would be completely reasonable. Low-level healing would essentially have to be able to do it on the spot with only minutes or seconds to spare (which is probably the original intent of that power ported over from a less powerful setting), while healing at the standard PL levels might allow a few hours, and the god-like levels 15+ can wait days, weeks or months.

That said, IMO the death of a character should be dramatically powerful. If an important character dies and there's a possibility of resurrection, it needs to either be a tight window of opportunity that races against the clock, or a separate mini-quest that could take a long time and again push up against the deadline. If getting over death is easy, like any other mechanical Condition, it's not very interesting anymore. You could make that an aspect of your game-world so that death is no longer a major issue, or as a way to lampshade all of the comic book character who died and came back for varying reasons or none in particular, but I wouldn't recommend it.
          My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
          My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
          [/URL]
          I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Death in comics is mostly temporary, but it's not often you see a character die and be Resurrected by another character a few hours or days later. The "Raise Dead" spell may be a staple of D&D which M&M descends from, but in most super-hero settings it's not really thematic.
            Apprentice Mastermind:
            Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
              Death in comics is mostly temporary, but it's not often you see a character die and be Resurrected by another character a few hours or days later. The "Raise Dead" spell may be a staple of D&D which M&M descends from, but in most super-hero settings it's not really thematic.
              I was rather arguing about the possibility of having a proper resurrection power/spell/wonder. One could put in some side-effect Lv2 that causes some harsh feedback, like death, so one couldnt just go around and revive people at will. It would be problematic without, since once its known almost everybody would want their loved ones to be brought back. 7 billions people on earth, almost everyone lost somebody important. That would be a pretty powerful and probably annoying conflict (though maybe also interesting).

The price has to fit the outcome ofcourse^^

Comment

Yeah, its one of those things that is vanishingly rare in the actual comics (I'd be hesitant to say "nonexistent", given there've been people who could do damn near anything over the history of superhero media) but having a cost for it if you really want to for completeness is harmless. Its just that, as others have said, its addressing a condition that isn't emergent from the mechanics, so the game doesn't engage with much (same reason the Regrowth add-on disappeared between editions).

Comment

I have seen a lot of resurrection in the comics ...
                  Problem is they always come back different,as in possesed,undead etc.
                  When they come back as a friendly ghost or an angel, they are usually temporary or it's a one time occurrence.

Anyway, a Summoning should work. Still limited by expense, making them uncontrolled should help.Resistible also makes sense to me.
                  Perfect for clones.
                  Sure it ain't "really " them -but so what? If it is a PC just hand over control to the player and if it isn't the GM gets a npc complete with hooks.

Comment

Working...
                  X