Damage over time question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage over time question.

I was attempting to create a power that would deal DoT, Damage over multiple turns. And the modifier "Secondary effect" seems to fit the bill, deal damage, and then at the next turn, same damage is dealt. I don't necessarily like how if you use the same effect again, the "secondary" hit is delayed instead of hitting the target. Seems like you lose an attack there after you paid for it. But the thing I was wondering is, the cost of secondary effect is +1 per rank of the effect. I was thinking of making the secondary attack less effective as the base attack. So for example, if the initial attack does 10 damage, the secondary attack would do five damage. Would that mean I should only pay for the effects I want to hit on the next turn? Kind of like a reverse Tiring effect in a way?
    -Love is like a Rhino, short-sighted and hasty; if it cannot find a way, it will make a way.

-Flavor text "Crash of Rhinos"

Re: Damage over time question.

General rule of the game is that Flaws and Extras applied to only some ranks of a power only apply to those ranks of the power. Apply the Secondary Effect to the ranks you want to fire off. As regards the "delay", that's just a natural artifact of the game having rules to prevent multiple saves from the same attacker for the same save type. Same thing applies with Homing. If you want it to trigger even if you hit the next turn, alternate your attacks between two targets. Or, if your GM allows it, build the Secondary effect to target a different save. So, for an attack that injects a nerve poison, the first save might be Toughness (physically damaging the outside) and the Secondary effect goes after Fortitude (the poison itself).
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Have you looked at making your damage Concentration duration? That way you only have to hit once, and as long as you keep concentrating on the target they continue to get hit each round without additional attack checks.

Mechanically it sounds like a good fit for what you want, although based on what you are actually trying to build you may be better off with Secondary Effect.
      Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Vynn
        I was attempting to create a power that would deal DoT, Damage over multiple turns. And the modifier "Secondary effect" seems to fit the bill, deal damage, and then at the next turn, same damage is dealt.

. . .

But the thing I was wondering is, the cost of secondary effect is +1 per rank of the effect. I was thinking of making the secondary attack less effective as the base attack. So for example, if the initial attack does 10 damage, the secondary attack would do five damage.
        The easiest way to do what you describe is to buy Secondary Effect as a Partial Extra. Partial Modifiers are described in DCA, page 124. Depending on what book you have, the page number will change, but it should be right there at the start of the Extras and Flaws section of the Powers Chapter.

The pyrokenetic in my last campaign had the following as one of his Powers:

Originally posted by Batgirl III
        Ignite Damage 10 (E: Ranged [Perception], Secondary Effect [5 Ranks], Subtle [1]; F: Quirk [secondary effect limited to only objects]) [ 35 PP ]
        This allows the aptly named character, Fireball, to hit with a Damage 10 Effect with his initial attack and hit again for Damage 5 on the following round. Now, in this example, his power is Quirked to limit the target of the Secondary Effect, but that's just to match his concept. Feel free to "season to taste" with your build.

If you want the power to do damage round after round without minimal input from you, you might consider Increased Duration [Concentration] or [Sustained]. Again, you can buy these as Partial Extras for a big initial hit and a lesser degree of damage over time. If you want it done with zero input, ask your GM about the Progressive Extra from Affliction.

Another option for damage over time effects, albeit straying into house rule territory, is to ask your GM about the Independent Extra from M&M2e's Ultimate Power supplement. I've allowed it in M&M3e multiple times, without any problems. But, as it's not officially 3e material, it's a house rule. It also won't fit all builds. Caveat emptor, your mileage may vary, do not operate heavy machinery, yadda yadda yadda.

As a house rule, I've allowed players to "build" their Secondary Effects as if they were Alternate Effects, i.e., limited to the same "budget" as the base power not counting the points spent on Secondary Attack. This is 100% house rule, with no basis in the game other than my own judgment. I like to think I have enough experience with this game to make decent house rules, but I'm not egotistical enough to insist it'll work for everyone. (I leave that to Jabronoville! ^-^, Hey-oh! I'm here all week folks!)

I still charged for Secondary Attack as if it were a full cost Extra, since it was still going to hit automatically if the initial Attack did. So essentially, it's a linked Effect with a one-round delay and an automatic hit. Seemed fair to my group and we had no complaints. Heck, one player damn near built her entire character around it:

The Silk Serpent was gimmick-weapon user with a dozen variant bolas, chains, whips, poison darts, etcetera. All with a snake theme. One of which was bolas designed to trip the target, then squeeze the bad guy into submission as the steel cables retracted. She also has boomerangs that injected a potent sleep toxin into the bad guy (her concept had her as a reformed soviet super-villainess. They originally had a deadly neurotoxin!)

Originally posted by Batgirl III
        Bola-Constrictors Affliction 8 (Resist: Dodge, Recover: Strength; Condition: Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile; E: Extra Condition, Ranged, Secondary Attack; F: Limited to Two Degrees) [ 16 PP ]
        Secondary Attack Damage 5 (E: Penetrating [5], Ranged)

Boomer-Fangs Damage 2 (Strength-based (STR 2); E: Indirect [1], Homing [1], Ranged, Secondary Attack) [ 10 PP ]
        Secondary Attack Affliction 4 (Resist/Recover: Fortitude; Conditions: Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep; E: Ranged)
        Yes, all of her weaponry and other gadgets had some sort of snake-related pun name. The Scale Mail armor, the Black Racer motorcycle, the Coachwhip, well, whip... I'm pretty certain she was consulting the G.I. Joe wikia in order to come up with some of them. The rest of the players took it upon themselves to dub her secret lair the Anacondo.

Comment

Holy geeze that's a lot of information! heh, thank you for all the input.
          -Love is like a Rhino, short-sighted and hasty; if it cannot find a way, it will make a way.

-Flavor text "Crash of Rhinos"

Comment

Or you simply pick Affliction with the hindered, dazed and incapacitated. Would have to either skip on of the states (considering Damage has also "straggered" condition at 3rd degree) or put in 6 conditions for an "extra condition" affliction. You would also need to increase the duration to continuous and may want to make it limited (i.e. if its fire, limited only as long as covered in inflamable stuff + oxygen, thus the affliction would end, should the person jump into water.)

You would have to also add the cumulative extra, since damage is.

In the end it would be:

1PP/r (affliction)
            + 1PP/r Extra Condition
            + 1PP/r Cumulative
            + 3PP/r Continuous Duration
            + 1-2PP/r Increased range, depending on whether its close, ranged or perception
            - 1PP/r Limited (to whatever is required for it to continue)

This would make it a 8-5 Power Point / Rank power, which is fairly expensive but also very powerful.

Comment

Working...
            X