Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create, Move Object...what damage rank for Objects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create, Move Object...what damage rank for Objects?

I've got a player whose going to be Telekinetic character in DC Universe. He was looking to make objects and use Move Object to move them, similar to how Green Lantern is setup in the DCA Hero's Handbook. How would you guys determine the damage for when he drops an object on an enemy? Treat it like the "built in" rules on throwing objects and STR? Would you make him use extra effort, since its not explicitly mentioned in the rules? I'm aware there is a Damaging extra in the Kinetic Power Profile, but seeing if you guys might have a different solution. Thanks in advance!

Re: Create, Move Object...what damage rank for Objects?

Originally posted by shaninator View Post
    I've got a player whose going to be Telekinetic character in DC Universe. He was looking to make objects and use Move Object to move them, similar to how Green Lantern is setup in the DCA Hero's Handbook. How would you guys determine the damage for when he drops an object on an enemy? Treat it like the "built in" rules on throwing objects and STR? Would you make him use extra effort, since its not explicitly mentioned in the rules? I'm aware there is a Damaging extra in the Kinetic Power Profile, but seeing if you guys might have a different solution. Thanks in advance!
    In regards to the damage component of dropping objects on someone to harm them, this issue is actually addressed directly in the rules for the Create effect. Quoted below from the d20herosrd:
    Simply dropping a created object on a target is treated like an Area Effect attack based on the objectís size (see Area extra). The object inflicts damage equal to its Toughness, and targets get a Dodge check to evade the falling object. A successful check results in no damage (rather than the usual half damage).

While a created object can potentially be wielded as an improvised weapon, the effect cannot otherwise create attacks or other effects; you must acquire these effects separately (perhaps as Alternate Effects).
    The character's Create rank will determine how many points they can spend on the Toughness of the created object, which then dictates the damage effect. Because it is an area attack, and thus there is no attack check involved, the damage cap is equal to the character's PL.

In regards to your question about telekinesis, it depends on one important factor: Does this character want the ability to telekinetically move things that he didn't create, a la traditional telekinesis? Or does he only have the ability to move objects he has created?

If he only has the ability to move objects he has created, the simplest solution is simply to add the Movable extra to the Create effect:
    Movable: You can move your created objects around with a Move Object effect at your Create rank (see Move Object). +1 cost per rank.
    If he also wants the ability to move objects that he hasn't created, then he will need a separate Move Object power. In that case, he can choose to save points and drop the Movable extra on his Create effect, then just use his Move Object power to move objects he has created.

Hope that helps!
    Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
    John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

The Create Effect has a specific section for Dropping Created objects on targets (p92 in the DCAHH). It's basically considered an Area Attack, only a successful Dodge is a complete miss, not half effect. The Damage is technically equal to the Toughness of the object, but for Created Objects, Toughness Rank = Volume Rank = Mass Rank, so for consistency, I usually rule that any non-created objects that are picked up and dropped would do Damage equal to Mass. Don't forget that as an Area Attack, it would be limited to PL, no matter how big it is.

Incidentally, if he only wants to move objects he's created, he could just get Create with the Movable Extra and not bother getting Move Object.
      My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
      My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
      [/URL]
      I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

If only interested In using it for the dropping could also add a limit can only make material x where x is whatever material matches the pl in toughness.

Comment

Working...
        X