3e Regeneration is giving me a headache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3e Regeneration is giving me a headache

How does it go from Recovery every 10 rounds at rank 0/1 to every 2 rounds at rank 5, then every round at rank 10?
    That progression makes no sense and I didn't mention the rank 20 one. It says that you remove damage penalties each minute equal to your rank, but then says at rank 5 you remove -1 every other round?
    Is that a progressive thing or a set thing like with Sense or Morph?

To me this power makes no sense and contradicts itself, and no one I've seen online has been able to explain it clearly without going to some kind of home spun rule or limit.
    I've seen charts and numbers and read forums were they seem to know but don't really explain, just regurgitate from the book, and I'm getting to the point were I'd just ban the power but I don't want to as that's unfair to my players.

I think the main problem beyond the poor description is the fact that normal recovery is too quick (like bordering super human quick), which then makes any power that speeds it up very unbalancing. I mean after five minutes out of combat your pretty much ready to go.

I'm most likely going to change the rules anyway but I'd still like to see if anyone has actually, properly, figured this out?

Re: 3e Regeneration is giving me a headache

my understanding is that the rank determins which rounds in a minute the power procs so I think of it like beats in music. 1 rank is 1 beat every ten rounds 5 and ten are easy it's when you get into other numbers that it kinda gets confusing to space out the beats.

Comment

Also don't forget that a "round" is 6 seconds, so a minute is a long time. Analyses of fighters of equal PL have shown that fights end, on average, in a little less than 18 rounds, or a minute and 40 seconds.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

The rank in regen determines how many free condition recoveries are returned in a minute. A minute is 10 rounds. Someone with rank 1 gets 1 free condition recovery in a minute: 10 rounds. Someone with rank 8 gets 8 free condition recoveries in a minute: 10 rounds. You try to evenly space the free condition recoveries based on the ranks. So someone with 5 ranks gets a free recovery every other round in the minute, and so on.
        "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Because the Condition Recovery is spread out over ten Rounds, you'll generally want to use "powers of five" for your Rank increments, just to avoid the headache:

20 Ranks: 2 per Round;
          15 Ranks: 1 per odd number Rounds, 2 per even number rounds;
          10 Ranks: 1 per Round;
          5 Ranks: 1 every other Round;
          1 Rank: 1 every Tenth Round;

Comment

I like Regen, but anything but ranks 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, and continuing multiples of 5 are headaches.
            SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude - My RollCall thread
            Savage City: Welcome to the Jungle - My Custom M&M Setting

Comment

Incidentally, I have experimented with having Regeneration 15 work as -2 every other round. Worked just as well for my player and was a lot easier for both of us to track. Her character had so many other Arrays, Dynamic Arrays, and Summon'd Minions to manage each round that we looked for any ways to save brainpower we could.

Comment

I know Moira house rules it in her games as 4PP/Rank
                1 rank = once per minute
                2 ranks =once per 5 round
                3 ranks is every other round
                4 ranks is every round and caps it there

That way it is close to the same cost (slightly higher) and progresses more like everything else in 3E does. I've seen other GMs house rule regen as well in different ways.

I've never found the by the book version hard to understand, it is just hard to track during combat except for rank 1/2/3/5/10/15/20. I've seen very few GMs allow more than 10 ranks anyway.
                Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by digitalangel View Post
                  I know Moira house rules it in her games as 4PP/Rank
                  1 rank = once per minute
                  2 ranks =once per 5 round
                  3 ranks is every other round
                  4 ranks is every round and caps it there
                  Oh, I like that a lot. I was planning to just double the cost of Regen and encourage the use of Source or other flaws since I think it's a little too powerful for the cost, but that is much smoother.
                  My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
                  My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
                  [/URL]
                  I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Absolutely love that House-Rule. I think that's how I'll implement things going forward. Regen is just so easy to exploit otherwise.
                    Eppur si muove

Current Characters
                    Gauss - Twin Forks Defenders
                    Starstorm - Established Heroes Shape the Multiverse
                    Dragon Fist - Power Struggle

Comment

None of that, of course, changes the fact that its in practice a PL breaker at higher ranks.

Comment

Regen in 3e really is just a carry over from 2e. I'd argue that most builds don't need it unless it's a key part of their entire concept, e.g. Wolverine. Even characters who "heal fast" don't need it since:
                        1. No one suffers from lasting injuries without a GM Fiat, i.e. a Complication and the award of an HP
                        2. Everyone has use of the Recover action (during combat)
                        3. Everyone recovers in a matter of minutes (after combat)

I double the cost and I insert it into the PL calculation because even if it costs more, it starts getting unbalancing at high ranks. IMO, Regen 1-5 doesn't really impact combat all that much because, frankly, combat rarely lasts more than 5-10 rounds. Think about it: Regen 1 might never come up, so it largely gets relegated to background conceptual purchases, e.g. Immunity to Aging.

In the end, if you make sure your player(s) understand that combat injuries are really just a tactical consideration, and that after the scene is over, they more or less spring back to full capabilities.
                        Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

That's about what I concluded when I did my post-3e reassess on PL breakers, as I recall.

Comment

While I run it pretty much by the book, I don't have it kick in till the round after you take an injury.
                            So if you are injured on round 1, you begin regenerating (or the cycle of it depending upon level) at the end of round 2. It gives all the benefits of being able to get right back up after being knocked down, but also allows at least one round for an imposed condition to effect play.

Comment

Maybe just the campaign I was in but we had boss fights last 2 hours of real time granted the gm liked the team vs bbeg so team pl 10 enemy usually 15 to 18 or three pl 13 vs team of our 5 pl 10 or 20 minions and a pl 15 ironmonger.

Comment

Working...
                              X