Multiple Alternate Forms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Alternate Forms?

Hi I am trying to create a character who has four alternate forms. I was thinking of being able to switch between forms using a standard action (thus applying the activation flaw).

In order to make this feasible, would I add the activation flaw to the total power cost total of each form?
    Now secondly, since these powers can only be used in a given form, should I add the limited flaw to each effect in a given form. Ie : Sword of Blood (limited, only when in War mode). My only issue with this is that it may make each individual effect a bit too cheap? I am GMing a game, and I am worried about making this NPC too powerful for the players, so I want to make it somewhat balanced.

Basically each form as a damage effect of some sort, a defense effect of some sort, and a movement effect of some sort.

Alternatively should I simply make three arrays (attack, defense, and movement), with 1 base power and three alternate powers? I think this makes less thematically, but is easier to implement mechanically.
    Last edited by farispie; 11-12-2014, 06:18 PM.

Re: Multiple Alternate Forms?

Originally posted by farispie View Post
    In order to make this feasible, would I add the activation flaw to the total power cost total of each form?
    Yes.

Now secondly, since these powers can only be used in a given form, should I add the limited flaw to each effect in a given form. Ie : Sword of Blood (limited, only when in War mode).
    No, the "sub-powers" are already only useable when you are in that form, that's a Flaw with zero effect. You can't get PP for free that way.

Consider the following power set for "Earth Wind and Fire Man, The Defender of Disco!" We have one Alternate Form containing some powers, then two more Alternate Form containers purchased at Alternate Effects of the original:

Fire Guy Alternate Form (20 PP Base; F: Activation [Move, 1]) [ 19 PP Total ]
    Fire Blast Damage 5 (E: Ranged) [ 10 PP ]
    Fire Flight Flight 5 [ 10 PP ]

Alternate Effect Earth Guy Alternate Form (20 PP Base; F: Activation [Move, 1]) [ 1 PP Total ]
    Rocky Armor Protection 6 (E: Impervious [6]) [ 12 PP ]
    Stone Giant Growth 4 [ 8 PP ]

Alternate Effect Wind Guy Alternate Form (20 PP Base; F: Activation [Move, 1]) [ 19 PP Total ]
    Gaseous Form Insubstantial 2 [ 10 PP ]
    Misty Outline Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; F: Partial) [ 4 PP ]
    Asphyxiation Afflictiont 6 [ 6 PP ]

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
      Yes.

No, the "sub-powers" are already only useable when you are in that form, that's a Flaw with zero effect. You can't get PP for free that way.

Consider the following power set for "Earth Wind and Fire Man, The Defender of Disco!" We have one Alternate Form containing some powers, then two more Alternate Form containers purchased at Alternate Effects of the original:

Fire Guy Alternate Form (20 PP Base; F: Activation [Move, –1]) [ 19 PP Total ]
      Fire Blast Damage 5 (E: Ranged) [ 10 PP ]
      Fire Flight Flight 5 [ 10 PP ]

Alternate Effect Earth Guy Alternate Form (20 PP Base; F: Activation [Move, –1]) [ 1 PP Total ]
      Rocky Armor Protection 6 (E: Impervious [6]) [ 12 PP ]
      Stone Giant Growth 4 [ 8 PP ]

Alternate Effect Wind Guy Alternate Form (20 PP Base; F: Activation [Move, –1]) [ 19 PP Total ]
      Gaseous Form Insubstantial 2 [ 10 PP ]
      Misty Outline Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; F: Partial) [ 4 PP ]
      Asphyxiation Afflictiont 6 [ 6 PP ]

Okay that makes alot of sense. So in your example it'd be 21 points for all of that.
      Last edited by farispie; 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Okay that makes alot of sense. So in your example it'd be 21 points for all of that.
        Yep, that's correct!
        Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
        John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

Working...
        X