Afflictions +15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afflictions +15

I know afflictions are Effect Level + 10 to check against, and that Damage is EL + 15 to check against with the first degree of failure resulting in a -1 toughness penalty.

Has anyone tried applying the +15 to afflictions with the first degree of failure resulting in a -1 to relevant checks (will/fortitude). I realize that the largest implication could be progressive.

I sometimes feel afflictions suffer from a lack of a wearing down feature that damage has.

Thoughts?

Re: Afflictions +15

but it is often going against lower resistances than toughness and only requires 3 levels of success for a major effect, unlike damage which can take a long time to wear someone down

Comment

Waaay to nasty, especially since Impaired/Disabled already impose a 2/4 circumstance penalty on future checks already.

Comment

I try to balance out Affliction by requiring recovery checks to remove each degree of effect: if a PC fails by two degrees on his initial resistance and then rolls one degree of success on his recovery check the following round, he only drops to the first degree condition. This does encourage power attacking with Afflictions, but it also makes them last a little longer and feel a little more effective. I suppose I could take it further and make 3 degrees of failure (or a nat 1) on a recovery check cause the Affliction to increase, like a weak default Progressive.
        My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
        My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
        [/URL]
        I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Originally posted by Corrigon View Post
          but it is often going against lower resistances than toughness and only requires 3 levels of success for a major effect, unlike damage which can take a long time to wear someone down
          Right the only thing that makes it unfair is that everyone toughness shifts instead of pumping their other defenses (though if you looked at their Willpower my players look like the next freakin' green lantern core candidates), 3 degrees of failure (discounting the -1 penalty phase) also puts you down from damage, its just that players have such high toughness's that they don't expect to fail that much that often without being worn down.

So right now

Affliction (10) against stat 10
          Roll Effect
          1-4 Second Degree
          5-9 First Degree
          10-20 No Effect

I'd have to have a stat of lower than the effect to even have a chance of being hit by the 3rd degree of an affliction.

With the shift to the same model used for damage.

Affliction (10) against stat 10
          Roll Effect
          1-4 Second Degree
          5-9 First Degree
          10-14 -1 Penalty to future (will/dodge/parry/fortitude/etc.) checks
          15-20 No Effect

I suppose I could just increase the level of the afflictions so that my players don't make most checks against most any affliction (it seems) on any roll other than a 1, it just feels as if a lot of villainous attacks are wasted because they are not just attacking for damage and adding to the wear down of the heroes they are just making special effects shows that don't impair the players in any way.

I just remember these discussions when DCA came out and was wondering if anyone had tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
            Waaay to nasty, especially since Impaired/Disabled already impose a 2/4 circumstance penalty on future checks already.
            I hadn't considered the impaired/disabled conditions, but they would still require a level of failure I'm not seeing with afflictions.

I'm running a PL12 campaign with many characters having balanced defenses.

It appears no one has tried this out, but other than progressive getting better, what other concerns do you see?

The -1 to future checks would apply to a first degree of failure in the 15+ scheme with the first degree becoming a second, the second the third, and the third a fourth degree of failure more in line with damage.

Comment

Just note that most Afflictions have a significantly more punishing first level condition than the Dazed-for-one-round of damage. Even the ones that have Daze, it can last for multiple rounds.

Comment

Working...
              X