Mental Awareness question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Awareness question

The Psychic archetype has Mental Awareness: Senses 2 (Mental Sense, Radius)

Does this means she can:

A. sense the use of powers with the mental descriptor
    B. sense mental activity (just people thinking) in her radius
    C. both of these
    D. neither one (please feel free to explain)

Thanks.

Re: Mental Awareness question

The answer is B... Although she'll need to use Mind Reading in order to do anything other than know they're there.

In order to sense powers with the Mental Descriptor, you'll want the appropriate Awareness Sense.

Comment

Let's say Sneaky Lass (who is undetectable to normal human senses) is trying to creep up on the Psychic and steal her tacos.

Does the Psychic's Mental Awareness:
      a. allow the Psychic to automatically notice Sneaky Lass is there (not her intentions or identity, just a mental presence)
      b. give some sort of Perception check to notice Sneaky Lass' presence (again, not identity)
      c. neither one (please feel free to explain)

My guess is it would be "b" since noticing the thoughts would be sort of like noticing footsteps.
      I'm also thinking that you would have an idea of where the presence was (direction, distance, perhaps even a sense of 'mental strength' i.e. volume of footsteps)

Thank you for the help.

Comment

You're confusing Mental Awareness (noticing active effects with the mental descriptor) with Detect Mental (noticing the presence of a thinking mind).

As for your scenario, well... That's going to depend on what other modifiers Psychic Lass has attached to her Detect Mental Sense.

By default, Detect has no range and only indicates the presence or absence of something. It is Close not Ranged, and is neither Acute nor Accurate. It also isn't Radius.

I usually make it a point to give my "I detect thoughts" psychics Ranged, Acute, and Radius attached to their Detect Sense. Essentially making it work just like normal Auditory Senses.

For a good example of this, tak a look at my recent build of Jean Grey. In addition to Move Object and Mind Reading, she has the following Senses:

Psionic Senses Senses 5 (Mental: Detect Minds [Acute (1), Extended [-1 per 100; 1], Radius [1], Ranged (1)]; Telepathic Awareness) [ 6 PP ]
        Last edited by Batgirl III; 11-04-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainstorm View Post
          The Psychic archetype has Mental Awareness: Senses 2 (Mental Sense, Radius)

Does this means she can:

A. sense the use of powers with the mental descriptor
          Awareness states, "You can sense the use of effects of a particular descriptor with a successful Perception check." Thinking is not an effect. If you want to Detect a person's mind, you'd need that Sense. Typically without the Radius adder, you'd more or less have to be facing the effect. All Mental Awareness would tell you is that an effect with the mental descriptor was active. You'd need Acute to discriminate between them, and Analytical to gain the full picture, e.g. how many ranks, and other bits of info the GM felt was relevant. Don't forget that it's a -1/10 ft penalty, so adding Extended is a good thing, too.

Awareness is more a passive thing, while Detect lets you go searching for things. It needs all the adders as above, and defaults to close range unless you buy Ranged, then Extended, etc.
          Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Extended is pretty common for most comic book and sci-fi telepaths, but not strictly necessary. All of a normal human's basic ranged senses have a 1 per 10' Perception penalty. So if you just have Detect Thoughts (Acute, Ranged, Radius) you will detect, um, thoughts just as well as you detect sounds.

Comment

I have read these answer posts multiple times now, and I still am not sure I understand it.

When I look, Awareness seems to be 2 ranks of Detect (to get a ranged Perception check), but yet it only costs 1 point. That I don't understand.

That said, in Days of Future Past, when Prof X is scanning the crowd for Mystique, then finds her, and then starts his telepathy that's what I want to be able to do.

I don't want it at Cerebro range, a couple city blocks would be good. When the character is using the power to scan an area, he shouldn't be able to do much more than walk around and stay focused on the scanning.

The power should allow him to be an "early warning system" or "location system" for his group, as well as letting him find a person he wants to telepathically communicate with.

I would also want him to be able to tell if someone else was under the effects of mental tampering , and I get the feeling that's what Awareness is for.

My feeling is that requires some sort of Sense, and Mind Reading combination.

Maybe I am over thinking it.

I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Awareness is passive, while Detect is active. The GM is in control of Awareness, and would make your Perception check for you (in secret). If successful, s/he would tell you what mental effects you are aware of, but even for basic details past "a mental power is in use" you're going to need Acute. Depending on what adders you have on your Awareness, you might be able to discern exactly what effects are being used near you. Like any perception check, you can take a Move action to make a check yourself, and this becomes a more active use.

With Detect, you are more or less searching for something. Detect Minds, or Emotions, etc. You need Acute and Range, at a minimum, to be able to use it effectively. Detect Minds without Acute, would mean you can detect there's a mind, but you couldn't tell them apart. Accurate would allow you to target someone once they were Detected.

Range is -1/10 ft. so if you want blocks of range, you'll need Extended.
                Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

I have read these answer posts multiple times now, and I still am not sure I understand it.

When I look, Awareness seems to be 2 ranks of Detect (to get a ranged Perception check), but yet it only costs 1 point. That I don't understand.

That said, in Days of Future Past, when Prof X is scanning the crowd for Mystique, then finds her, and then starts his telepathy that's what I want to be able to do.

I don't want it at Cerebro range, a couple city blocks would be good. When the character is using the power to scan an area, he shouldn't be able to do much more than walk around and stay focused on the scanning.

The power should allow him to be an "early warning system" or "location system" for his group, as well as letting him find a person he wants to telepathically communicate with.

I would also want him to be able to tell if someone else was under the effects of mental tampering , and I get the feeling that's what Awareness is for.

I helped a PC in my X-Men themed game make a psychic character, so maybe I can help clarify.

First, Awareness and Detect are two completely separate Sense effects. That's probably why you're getting confused about the cost and function. They are new senses that you buy, typically part of the Mental sense type, meaning that your ability to sense things with them is not dependent on vision, hearing, etc. but on your mind being conscious. They each cost 1 rank for the base effect. Awareness allows you to sense effects with a specific descriptor. Detect allows you to sense objects/targets with a specific descriptor.

For example, if I build a fire controller character, Fire Awareness would allow me to detect other powers that allow someone to manipulate fire -- so I could tell when someone else is using a pyrokinesis effect, for example. Detect Fire would help me locate all sources of fire nearby, such as the tiny flame of someone's cigarette or a pilot light on someone's stove.

For a psychic character, Mental Awareness could allow you to sense when another telepath is trying to read your friend's mind. (You technically don't need a special sense to tell if someone is already doing that to you; it's an innate feature of the Mental sense type.) With the right extras, Detect Minds could allow you to tell precisely how many sentient beings with brains (so not AI-programmed Sentinels or Master Mold) are nearby. In your example about scanning for Mystique, a Detect Minds power would let you do that.

Detect senses have a default range of Personal. So, to be able to detect minds at range in any direction, you need to add Ranged (1 rank) and Radius (1). Default "Ranged" gives you -1 to the Perception skill check for every 10 ft the target (in this case, the mind) is from you. So, to be able to detect all minds consistently within a few city blocks, you probably want to add Extended (1), which gives -1 per 100 ft. On a Perception check of 10, and no GM-imposed circumstance penalties, you can then detect all minds within 1,000 ft (roughly 3 city blocks). To be able to tell Mystique apart from other minds in a crowd, you need Acute (1). If you want to be able to know Mystique's exact location and be able to target her completely accurately even if she's invisible or hiding in the shadows, you would add Accurate (2). Some GMs might rule that a Detect Minds power with Analytical (1) you can tell a target's general disposition, emotions, or thoughts without a Mind Reading check. However, I typically require Mind Reading for that type of effect.

You are correct that sensing if someone is under the effects of mental tampering would be a Mental Awareness power. As I described, that would be the purpose of a sense that helps you notice effects with a mental descriptor.

Telepathy is typically represented as a Communication [Mental] power, and per RAW, it allows you to receive responses in the same medium. So, you don't even need Mind Reading to be able to hold a telepathic conversation with someone. You don't even need a Mental Awareness or Detect Minds kind of power -- just the Communication power. Mind Reading is specifically if you want to be able to read someone's thoughts.

Does that help? I know Senses are confusing, and they took me a lot of time to figure out how to piece them together. Also, if I'm wrong on something, someone please correct me...
                  Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
                  John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

I'd add that in addition to what others have said, in your Prof X example his power seems to be Distracting. Applied to, say, Acute, Accurate and Extended but not the base Detect, Ranged and Radius. He /looks/ distracted in that scene.

Comment

Working...
                    X