Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linked Powers and The Power Level Limit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linked Powers and The Power Level Limit?

This is my first time playing M and M, and I had one quick question about the power level limit for attack/effect. This is for the third edition of the game.

So, lets say I have a melee weapon device that damages and weakens a foe. I link those two effects together, and add the respective extras. Now, the rank total for the damage effect is 6 and the rank total for the weaken effect is 4. Now, my total attack modifier with this melee weapon is +20.

My power level is 13. Now this means that my limit for attack + effect total is 26. So does my set up violate the limit ? What I mean is, if I just consider the damage effect, the total is 26, and if I just consider the weaken effect, the total is 24. However if I add all three things together, I get 30, which exceeds the limit of 26.

So do I add each individual effect's ranks for a single action has when considering the limit or do I simply look at one effect at a time ?
    Last edited by farispie; 10-31-2014, 07:56 PM.

Re: Linked Powers and The Power Level Limit?

One effect at a time, since they will make their checks against each effects individual rank.

Comment

Originally posted by farispie View Post
      lets say I have a melee weapon device that damages and weakens a foe. I link those two effects together, and add the respective extras.
      That sounds like a standard Corrosive or Disintegrate build. Those are occasionally used to simulate lightsabres, but it can work for a lot of different weapons.

Originally posted by farispie View Post
      Now, the rank total for the damage effect is 6 and the rank total for the weaken effect is 4. Now, my total attack modifier with this melee weapon is +20.

My power level is 13. Now this means that my limit for attack + effect total is 26. So does my set up violate the limit ? What I mean is, if I just consider the damage effect, the total is 26, and if I just consider the weaken effect, the total is 24. However if I add all three things together, I get 30, which exceeds the limit of 26.

So do I add each individual effect's ranks for a single action has when considering the limit or do I simply look at one effect at a time ?
      Linked Attacks are considered to be a single attack that is made up of two (or more) effects and requires two (or more) different resistance checks. You can also choose the order that they resolve, so in play I would imagine you would roll to hit normally with your +20, and when you hit the target would roll once to resist Weaken (presumably vs Fort but losing Toughness) and a second resistance roll vs Damage (Damage 6 would be DC 21 vs the target's now lowered Toughness bonus plus d20). You could up your Weaken to 6 ranks as well and still be within PL13 cap. You could also Power Attack with that weapon and increase the resistance rank for both effects, as would rolling a Critical hit.

That said, linked powers can be pretty intense, and it's completely within a GM's rights to houserule additional limits on them.
      My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
      My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
      [/URL]
      I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Originally posted by JDRook View Post
        That sounds like a standard Corrosive or Disintegrate build. Those are occasionally used to simulate lightsabres, but it can work for a lot of different weapons.

Linked Attacks are considered to be a single attack that is made up of two (or more) effects and requires two (or more) different resistance checks. You can also choose the order that they resolve, so in play I would imagine you would roll to hit normally with your +20, and when you hit the target would roll once to resist Weaken (presumably vs Fort but losing Toughness) and a second resistance roll vs Damage (Damage 6 would be DC 21 vs the target's now lowered Toughness bonus plus d20). You could up your Weaken to 6 ranks as well and still be within PL13 cap. You could also Power Attack with that weapon and increase the resistance rank for both effects, as would rolling a Critical hit.

That said, linked powers can be pretty intense, and it's completely within a GM's rights to houserule additional limits on them.
        Cool, thanks! I was just making sure that things were within the power limit rules. And yes, I was trying to simulate lightsabers.

Comment

Working...
        X