Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Team Defense character. Would this work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Defense character. Would this work?

Basically, I'm toying with the idea of a character who is mostly defensive in nature. His body can become solid titanium, and he can more or less turn himself into a 30-foot wall that the rest of the team can hide behind. Is this build workable? Will it be really boring for the person playing him? Would you allow it in a game you're GMing? I'm a true noob to the world of M&M, and looking for different ideas.

The Shield - PL 10

Strength 4/0, Stamina 14, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
    Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Interpose, Luck (Improve Roll) 5, Set-up 2, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
    Close Combat: Five Foot Punch 5 (+7), Deception 6 (+6), Expertise: mechanical repairs 12 (+12), Insight 2 (+2), Intimidation 9 (+10), Treatment 8 (+8)

Powers
    Solid Titanium Body (Activation: Move Action)
    Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Stamina 14 (+14 STA)
    Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Strength +4 (+4))
    Five Foot Punch: Strength-based Damage 8 (DC 27; Penetrating, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
    Immortality: Immortality 18 (Return after 12 seconds)
    Immunity: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
    Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 14
    Titanium Wall: Growth 2 (+1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses; Limited to Increasing Size Only)

Offense
    Initiative +0
    Five Foot Punch: Strength-based Damage 8, +7 (DC 27)
    Grab, +2 (DC Spec 14)
    Throw, +0 (DC 19)
    Unarmed, +2 (DC 19)

Defense
    Dodge -1, Parry 1, Fortitude 14, Toughness 14, Will 6

Power Points
    Abilities 4 + Powers 106 + Advantages 13 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 150

Re: Team Defense character. Would this work?

Three things here:

1. That's rather weak for a PL 10 character; by normal PL calculations, he's about PL 7 maybe. In addition, since his defense is low (if I'm reading it right) he's liable to be put down rather fast, particularly by opponents with power attack.

2. Its actually hard to guard people in M&M (or its D20 ancestor, far as that goes) and growth is only going to help so much. In practice, at best he's going to supply some cover to those behind him.

3. While its possible to build characters who are primarily about augmenting others in M&M, there's some questionable balance issues there; most of the more severe ones pretty much break PL for the other characters to one degree or another.

Comment

I think you can tweak your build a little and add significant utility.

I would drop Immortality completely, or drop a lot of its ranks; a lot can happen in a few combat rounds, and the effect is expensive considering that any resurrection time longer than about 24-30 seconds is barely better than minutes or hours.

With those recovered points, you can boost your Dodge and Parry. Alternatively, you can put it into an Enhanced Dodge/Parry effect with the Area and Selective modifiers, which will boost you and any allies standing near you. However, as already pointed out, that runs into issues with PL caps unless your allies are significantly under defensive PL caps already.

Another approach would be to use the Deflect effect. You would spend your actions trying to guard against any attacks against nearby allies. To get the wall-like effect, you can use Deflect with Reduced Range: Close Range and the Increased Reach extra, which would let you protect against people within 15-30ish feet of you (for example).

The Growth effect and providing cover is pretty straightforward as well, and with your Interpose advantage and Impervious Toughness, you might be fine with that. It's really up to you and your GM which of these effects would work best for what you're going for.
      Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
      John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll play around with him and see what I can come up with.

Here's the question I'm struggling with. If he grows to 30 feet, could his teammates hide behind him to use as cover, or would he have to use Interpose or Deflect to make saves for them? I guess ultimately it would be up to the GM, but I'm just wondering if it's feasible enough that some GM's would agree to it.

Comment

30 feet would be Growth 8 (or two size ranks). I'd give the benefit of Total Cover (+5 defense bonus) to anyone who stood behind him.

You could certainly buy the Deflect effect and have him defend for his teammates. Interpose, as well.
          Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Thanks. That helps a lot. Here's what I've come up with at this point:

The Shield - PL 10

Strength 12/8, Stamina 14, Agility 0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
            Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Evasion 2, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improved Defense, Interpose, Luck (Improve Roll) 5, Redirect, Set-up 2, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind

Skills
            Acrobatics 2 (+2), Deception 6 (+6), Insight 2 (+2), Intimidation 10 (+14), Treatment 10 (+10)

Powers
            Solid Titanium Body (Activation: Move Action)
            Deflect: Deflect 6 (Reach (ranged) 6: 30 ft., Redirection, Reflect; Reduced Range: close)
            Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Stamina 6 (+6 STA)
            Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Strength +4 (+12))
            Five Foot Punch: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 33; Penetrating, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
            Immunity: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
            Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 14
            Titanium Wall: Growth 8 (+8 STR, +8 STA, +4 Intimidate, -8 Stealth, -4 active defenses, +2 size categories, +1 speed ranks)

Offense
            Initiative +0
            Five Foot Punch: Strength-based Damage 6, +2 (DC 33)
            Grab, +2 (DC Spec 22)
            Throw, +2 (DC 27)
            Unarmed, +2 (DC 27)

Defense
            Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 14, Toughness 14, Will 6

Power Points
            Abilities 8 + Powers 85 + Advantages 18 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 150

When I pasted this in, I remembered another question I've been wondering about. When Hero Lab tells me that the DC for his Five Foot Punch is 33, is that the total DC, or do I add 15 to that number for damage checks?

I'm completely new to RPG's and I'm trying to wrap my head around this game so that I can GM for my sons. I have 3 boys (14, 11 and 8) who love the idea of creating their own superheroes and playing the game. We're 3 sessions into our first campaign and they're all enjoying the game very much.. I just want to make sure I'm running it correctly, so that if they branch out later they won't have to completely relearn the game to play with another group.
            Last edited by gocamels; 10-22-2014, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I don't use hero Lbas myself, but a quick math check says that is the total DC. 12 STR + 6 Dmg effect + 15 = 33DC
              Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
              [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Whenever Hero Lab reports the DC, it's calculating as base (10 for everything but Damage, which is 15) + ranks. So an Affliction 8 would be DC 18 (10 +8), and for a Damage 8 effect it would DC 23.

I understand the temptation to build these super-powerful effects, but trading off by 8 (Damage vs. Attack) is pretty extreme. Most GM's probably wouldn't allow it. You could go +4 and then Power Attack, which gets your there....

Personally, I'd rather have STR in a character life this, since you can lift and punch--rather than just Damage. How many ranks of Penetrating did you buy? If you want it to apply to the whole effect (Damage 18), you need 18 ranks. Note that it's mostly going to be wasted points since it only interacts with Impervious, and Impervious only protects at half ranks (assuming per the RAW; if there's a house rule in effect, then it might make a difference). But IMO, both Impervious and Penetrating are not worth it.
                Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

I actually never intended for that punch to be so powerful. He was intended to be a defensive focus character. In the original build, the punch wasn't quite so strong (DC 27), but when I did away with the Immortality, I increased his Growth, which added to his strength. That pushed the DC for the punch up to 33.

I'm really building this character mainly to help me understand the dynamics of the game, so that I can run a better game. So far, I've built this character, a Mister Fantastic-type character, and an Iceman-type, as well as my sons' builds. One of them wanted a cross between Superman and Captain Marvel, one wanted a cross between Iron Fist, Flash and Green Arrow, and the other wanted an android with a touch of Iron-Man and super-intellect.

We're probably mangling the rules, but they're having fun, and I'm learning a lot reading through the tons of info on here.

Comment

I site rule 0: have fun.
                    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by gocamels View Post
                      I actually never intended for that punch to be so powerful. He was intended to be a defensive focus character. In the original build, the punch wasn't quite so strong (DC 27), but when I did away with the Immortality, I increased his Growth, which added to his strength. That pushed the DC for the punch up to 33.

I'm really building this character mainly to help me understand the dynamics of the game, so that I can run a better game. So far, I've built this character, a Mister Fantastic-type character, and an Iceman-type, as well as my sons' builds. One of them wanted a cross between Superman and Captain Marvel, one wanted a cross between Iron Fist, Flash and Green Arrow, and the other wanted an android with a touch of Iron-Man and super-intellect.

We're probably mangling the rules, but they're having fun, and I'm learning a lot reading through the tons of info on here.
                      That sounds awesome! If you're having fun, you're doing it right. I totally agree, building characters forces you to learn the ins and outs of the game mechanics. Plus, it's really fun to just create your very own hero, especially if they have really unique powers.
                      Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
                      John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

They are having fun. They beg me to hurry up and write the next chapter so they can play through it. I'm still trudging through all the ins and outs of balancing attack and damage, figuring out why something pushes my character out of PL, etc., but I'm slowly getting there.

I doubt that The Shield will ever make his way into a game, mainly because he wouldn't be much fun for a kid to play. But he was fun to build, and I learned a good bit doing it. Even more after getting feedback on him here.

Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X