Healer Concept Question, AKA: I may be over-complicating things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healer Concept Question, AKA: I may be over-complicating things

I've spent a few hours debating with myself and glaring at the rules trying to piece together the best way to create this concept and figured I'd bring it over here for the kind of scrutiny it needs (and possibly for the community to slap me around for making things difficult for no good reason).

In short, here's the concept (3e):

An empathic healer who can (and often needs to) redirect the healed injuries to another target or himself.

I was pondering a few builds, but the closest match seems to involve linking the "Heal" effect with the "Harm" effect, thereafter creating the conditions where it's required for him to eject the injury somewhere else. But that poses a few limitations: First, there doesn't seem to be flaws or features that would allow you to simply link based on level of success, say, for every two ranks of healing you can impose two conditions (including bruises).

I started to feel that the Linked feature would help, as the empathic flaw seems to cover the first half of it but doesn't really cover the second half where the injury could then be healed from the healer in the form of damage for an enemy target.

So as I said, I made this very complicated for no good reason.

In effect, I'm looking to create the slingshot effect of passing a condition (including bruises) from one target to another by way of healing. Any suggestions? Something like reflect/redirect could be leveraged in theory, but I'm about ready to slap the Uncontrolled flaw in 2-3 places and call it a day.

Thanks!

Re: Healer Concept Question, AKA: I may be over-complicating things

Something to further complicate matters is that damage / conditions might not move 1 for 1 in the trade what is an incapacitating condition for Bob Smith may be something Superman just brushes off.

Alternately if (s)he didn't transfer the whole of the conditions would he him/her self get stuck with the remaining damage/condition(s)?

You could just link the Heal with an equal level Harm effect though link generally makes the two go together and not simultaneously at two targets the healed and the harmed. You could look at the way they do energy absorption and release, or perhaps reduce the Heal action so that the Harm could be done during the same action phase, either with a perception attack or a roll to hit... or the damage could move to some form of selective aura that remained up until the damage got sucked up.

Just throwing stuff at your wall.

Comment

Empathic healing and vampiric damage, not linked, should do it for you.

Empathic flaw on healing means you take on the conditions you heal.

Vampiric extra on your damage means that every time your damage someone with that attack, you can heal the same (or a lesser) condition that you inflict on the attack.
      Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Where is the Vampiric extra listed?

Comment

Originally posted by kariggi View Post
          Where is the Vampiric extra listed?
          It's a 2e modifier from Ultimate Power. It wasn't imported into 3e.
          Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Hmm, I thought it carried over. I swap back and forth so sometimes I forget what was and wasn't carried over.

VAMPIRIC +1 MODIFIER
            When you successfully damage a target with an attack effect with
            this extra, you can make an immediate recovery check for the
            same damage condition you inflict (or a lesser condition, if you
            wish). You get a bonus on the check equal to your attack’s damage
            bonus. So, if you inflict an injured result on a target with a
            lethal vampiric attack, you can make an immediate recovery check
            if you are injured. If you are not injured, only bruised, you can still
            make the check. That would not be the case if you inflicted a
            bruised result with a non-lethal vampiric attack and were injured;
            a bruised condition is less than an injured condition, so you don’t
            get a check to recover from it (see Damage, M&M, page 163, for
            more information).
            Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Sounds like creating a custom Extra to cover that, then.

Certainly, I would aim to allow the new target the chance to resist. At one point, I envisioned the personal injury as being the Source for the Harm power as well. This way, it could be said that the empathic damage would be healed immediately upon the attempt to project the wounds to another character. Resisted or otherwise, the energy to project would cause the healing effect as well -- so that Vampiric extra would fit in nicely if I leverage that.

I didn't think about utilizing selective auras, either. So many choices!

Comment

just don't use it on fatigue or any gm will smack it and probably you down.

Comment

Originally posted by rlwr View Post
                  just don't use it on fatigue or any gm will smack it and probably you down.
                  Right, since fatigue is not the result of something you can resist (unless it's a condition), eh?

Comment

If you want to transfer fatigue, check out the Psychic Vampirism power out of the mental powers profile. Basically affliction (fatigued, exhausted, unconscious) linked to personal energizing healing.

I know the handbooks says energizing healing on yourself is a no no, but the fact that it is linked to an attack fatiguing your target helps balance it out.

Comment

Would you think that a 3E version of Vampiric would be a flat +1 or 1/r?

Comment

It was a +1/rank. Most extras and flaws converted at the same cost

Comment

Originally posted by digitalangel View Post
                          It was a +1/rank. Most extras and flaws converted at the same cost
                          Thanks! You rock.

Comment

Though I'd think about whether SK considered it a good idea; it disappeared across the editions, after all, and there doesn't seem to be a new version in any of the Power Profiles that I checked for it, either.

Comment

You know, reading this just gave me a great idea: Empathic Healing Attack

You can do a "Healing, Empathic (-1/Rank), Attack (-0/Rank), Ranged (+1/Rank), Limited: Only Attacker as Healing Target (-0/Rank), Trigger: Activates as soon as power is acquired by target (Flat +1)".

This way you throw the "Healing Attack" at the target. If it hits, the trigger goes off and the power activates, targeting you (and only you) with an Empathic Healing. You have no reason to resist it, so you allow it to hit. But the target still needs to do a Healing check, so there is a chance for failure, of course.

Transfer Injury:
                              - Empathic Healing, Triggered
                              - Attack
                              - Ranged, Limited Target

1 point + 1 / Healing Rank.

Your GM mileage may vary. :-)
                              Last edited by MrKinister; 10-21-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X