TV Transmission (Communication)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Transmission (Communication)

What do you need for both audio/video transmission like TV?

The Radio medium for Communication is described as: "AM, FM, and short-wave radio bands, microwaves" but nowhere in the power does it say what kind of information is possible to send.

Does it need to be bought as Remote Sensing (Audio/Visual; Extra: Affects Others)?
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Re: TV Transmission (Communication)

It almost makes me laugh in M&M to argue things like this from a science point of view given the lack of granularity in the system, but ...

Over the air antenna TV (even digital) uses a radio frequency range, so as long as the person on the other end has the proper equipment or power to send and receive with the character, there is no reason the signal couldn't be sent or recieved. The real question is can the character automatically translate that signal into pictures if the power is not through a device(removable or not) or equipment?

Doing it for audio (analog audio signals at least) just means that you are doing the same thing your ear drum does with pressure waves with some form of radio sensor.

Doing the same with digital signals is easy if the power description is a cybernetic implant/device/machine based character and would be easy to say that they can read video signal out of the same digital feed.

A non-machine based character reading the video signal (or possibly understanding digital signals at all beyond hearing really advanced morse code) really depends on how the given setting works.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Communication states that you can receive what you can send, so that's easy enough.

I was probably just over-thinking things (as I am wont to do).

Comment

I don't think it is a stretch at all to say they can send and recieve TV signals included in Communication Radio. Depending on the signal type they may need a rank of Comprehend Machines to able to decode it though depending on the GM. I think both ranks of comprehend machines to "talk to machines" would be overkill though.
        Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

You know, that makes me think of someone with TV Eyes: anything you see/hear you can send out as a TV broadcast. Would it be a Quirk or a Flaw if you couldn't tune into (receive) TV broadcasts?

Comment

Probably quirk. I would think flaw would be only able to do either digital or analog and not the other.

Audio signals only would be worth a full flaw.

Another good flaw to Radio would be that they could only tune into a certain frequency range at a time instead of the entire spectrum at once, although in a round or two you could still scan a pretty wide range of frequencies just to see if a signal was being broadcast. Picking 1 signal out of all the background noise of a city would be a pain though without stopping at each signal to see what it was or already having an idea of the range your target broadcast was in.

Comment

Couldn't that be handwaved with Precise?

Comment

True. Didn't even think about Precise on that one for some reason.

That last one is probably just lacking Precise on it.

Comment

I know that they have someone with that exact same power in Freedom City 2E, Rich "Voyeur" Royer, who's a reality TV star. He's got A/V Radio Communication with Area.

Comment

Originally posted by betterwatchit View Post
                    I know that they have someone with that exact same power in Freedom City 2E, Rich "Voyeur" Royer, who's a reality TV star. He's got A/V Radio Communication with Area.
                    Never noticed him before. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X