Perception Melee Attack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perception Melee Attack

So in trying to build a Super Martial Artist character who absolutely does not miss, I'm wondering if the following is kosher?

Martial Strike Damage X (Strength-Based; Extras: Increase Range [Perception]; Flaws: Limited to Reach) [ X PP ]

Everything there is by-the-book, but the flaw. Limited is pretty open ended, the only guideline being that it has to be a roughly 50% reduction in utility. I'd say taking a power that would normally be effective out to the horizon down to something within arm's reach is pretty limiting.

Your thoughts, oh fellow Tankers?

Re: Perception Melee Attack

Seems completely appropriate to me, of course you couldn't power attack with it, and it would be capped at PL, but mechanically I think its a nice way to represent it.

Comment

I don't see why it's not kosher. If Telepaths can have their Mental Blasts...

Now that being said, there are some issues with having a perception range attack as your primary attack. No tradeoff feats, no extra effort - which are two of the hallmarks of a martial artist. I prefer to represent "Doesn't Miss" with Ultimate Aim. Because fighting isn't about hitting, it's about hitting the right spot. Hitting their forearm vs hitting their solar plexus is two different things. So sure, you can always hit, but that doesn't mean squat.

Now I did do an Archer with that power. He could always hit, but if he wanted to focus on a specific target, it wasn't always a guarantee. There are too many factors for him to always hit the vulnerable spot. So he was Attack shifted with Precise Attack 2, Improved Aim, and Ultimate Aim.
      [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

If you buy up your Close Combat (Unarmed) skill to say +15, you can take Skill Mastery, which means a Routine check of 25--which should pretty much hit anyone. Or take an Improved Feint where you can feint as a Move action to make people easier to hit, or buy it as an Affliction (Vulnerable/Defenseless--though that's a Standard action, but would last longer than a single round).

"Never missing" is an overrated concept. It might work in fiction where accuracy is usually coupled with "hitting vital spots" or the like, but in MnM it gets you nothing.

The one advantage is that you could buy up your effect rank, since it wouldn't be traded off with attack bonus.
        Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

I know they gave Ollie Skill Mastery in DC Heroes, but I am pretty sure they have also come out and said that only applies in non-combat situations.
          [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

Hmm, never seen it mentioned.

I'd argue for allowing it since Steve chose to make Close Combat a skill, and Skill Mastery went from four skills to one. He could have kept it an Advantage (Attack Specialization in 2e).

Comment

Well technically, Skill Mastery doesn't let you make Routine checks that aren't normally allowed, it just lets you make Routine checks when a distracting circumstance would otherwise prevent you. So it comes down to whether you think you would be able to make a Routine check in combat or not. Since you can against Minions, I could see an argument either way; however, I would definitely play it the way I described - Skill Mastery on Combat skills only available in non-combat situations.

Comment

Originally posted by kenseido View Post
                Well technically, Skill Mastery doesn't let you make Routine checks that aren't normally allowed, it just lets you make Routine checks when a distracting circumstance would otherwise prevent you. So it comes down to whether you think you would be able to make a Routine check in combat or not. Since you can against Minions, I could see an argument either way; however, I would definitely play it the way I described - Skill Mastery on Combat skills only available in non-combat situations.
                Forgot that part.

Comment

Trust me, I know how to make excellent martial artists under M&M. This is a thought experiment for a wuxia supreme badass type character, who would still have "regular" attacks and advantages. This is for a sort of secret technique "Do right. Is no defense" maneuver.

Comment

I always thought maybe using Penetrating attack rolls, Since oyu can have Impervious defenses, like parry, and such. But I think Perception ranged melee, would be more appropriate.
                    Click here to go to my JD's 3E Reboot !!!

Comment

I could definitely see this option as part of an array of martial art maneuvers.

Comment

I don't understand how a Penetrating Attack Bonus would work. That's a check, not an effect.

Impervious F/W/T all work the same way: resisting a specified DC.

But that's not how active defenses work. They're Routine.

Comment

Tangential to the main topic, but I love me a good off topic ramble...

Back in 2E, I built the Joker with "Penetrating" tacked onto his Fearsome Presence feat; The reason being that I wanted him to be able to bypass Fearless. When the Batman is scared of you, you're scary, and no mere 1 PP should turn that off.

Comment

But Penetrating interacts with Impervious, not Immunity.

Comment

That is why I house rule Fearless to only apply to Intimidate. If you had Emotion Control, you could still affect someone with Fearless, unless they had the 5pp Immunity to Fear.

I also know that Crinos plays Fearless the way you mentioned; if they have Penetrating, it bypasses Fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X