Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Recovery on Instant Duration Afflictions

So, the rules state:

Instant Recovery: Similar to the Reversible extra, the target of an Affliction effect with this modifier recovers automatically, no check required, at the end of the round in which the duration ends. So, for example, an instant duration Affliction only lasts one round, while a sustained duration Affliction lasts until no longer sustained. 1 cost per rank.
    The "instant duration Affliction lasts for one round" is sort of fuzzy. Does the Affliction wear off at the beginning of the next round or at the end?

Example: The nefarious Dr. 4-Instance uses an Affliction to make Exampleman vulnerable for a round. Will Exampleman be vulnerable long enough for the not-so-good doctor to take advantage of the reduction in his active defenses?

I would think so, but I'm not sure if that's the official ruling.

(And yes, I'm trying to replicate a Feint.)
    SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude - My RollCall thread
    Savage City: Welcome to the Jungle - My Custom M&M Setting

Re: Instant Recovery on Instant Duration Afflictions

Not without Surging. The good Doctor will have acted for the round and the effect will wear off before he can act again in the next round.

I've most often seen the Flaw used with Afflictions that knock people down, but they can get back up again as opposed to something like a Snare, where once captured, they would have to break out.

Edit: You could try something like this power from the Martial Arts Power profile:

Analyze Style: Affliction (1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless; Resisted by Will; Extras: Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Subtle (DC 20); Flaws: Limited: vs. your attacks, Limited Degree) 2pp/rank +2pp
    You'd still have to use it over the course of several rounds: first round to assess, then in subsequent rounds the target would be Vulnerable or Defenseless vs your attacks until they "realized" what you were doing (successfully resisted the effect). With it being both Subtle and insidious, they'd be less likely to associate the effect with you, and would have to chalk it up to something like "having a bad day."
    Last edited by badpenny; 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM.
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Ah, that makes sense I guess. I'll have to approach the concept a bit differently then, so I don't go pissing actions away. Thanks.

Comment

There are several options for Feints:

Change the associated skill from Deception to Intimidate (Startle) or Acrobatics (Agile Feint).

Buy the action down with a feature, e.g. Improved Feint: Feature 1 (Can Feint as a Move action).

With the Feint as a Move action (either through a Feature or taking the -5 penalty), you can both Feint and Attack in the same round. If you go with the Feature, you do not apply the -5 penalty.
        Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

I'll probably go with a feature/custom advantage and just fluff it the way I want. I was making it more complicated than it needed to be, I guess.

Comment

Which, I suppose, leads to the question. Is Prone the only condition that doesn't automatically go away with Instant Recovery?
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
              Which, I suppose, leads to the question. Is Prone the only condition that doesn't automatically go away with Instant Recovery?
              I would think asleep qualifies as well. That might be one of the main advantages of sleep as a modifer to offset the flaws compared to traditional incapacitated (which sleep is specifically a +0 modifier for) or most other 3rd degree conditions.
              Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
              [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Working...
              X