Gadget Guides errata thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gadget Guides errata thread

And having just finished reading the Gadget Guides PDF, here is all the errata I could find.
    page 15:
    Plate-mail, a suit of metal plates buckled over chain main,
    main should be mail.
    page 18: Protective Gear-
    + bonus to resist olfactory attacks, Subtle
    Nose-plugs missing 5 after +.
    DNAscent Process sidebar: page 28:
    The most common benefits are physical—
    enhanced strength, toughness, speed, and so forth—but physical mutations or even psionic abilities are known.
    The -but physical mutations should be -but mental mutations for the sentance to make sense.
    page 46:
    MULTI-MODAL
    Should be Model.
    page 103: Dirigible entry, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence:
    clcokwork carbine
    o and c backwards in clock of clockwork.
    page 104: 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence:
    Aritificing section
    Should be Artificing section.
    page 122: Inventing skills, 1st paragraph, 4th line:
    although this traning
    missing i in training.

Re: Gadget Guides errata thread

Originally posted by Psistrike View Post
    page 46: Should be Model.
    I don't know the context for the line, but I actually used to work for a company named M*Modal, short for Multimodal due to how they handled speech recognition, by trying to pull in multiple sources of context information.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Page 113 under 'Swing Line' should say 'Sturdy' not 'Study'.

Comment

Originally posted by Psistrike View Post
        page 46: Should be Model.
        Probably not. I don't have this PDF, but "something that has more than one mode of use" is multi-modal. I've never come across the term "multi-model."
        [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
        Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

Hello.
          I wondered if Empyrean Helmet got some kind of errata, since it looks kinda odd. Here is a guy with tremendous power, aware of any cosmic thread around ... and plain unable to do anything about it, since no Space Travel, no Teleportation, not even the slightest Flight. Too bad ...
          A sinister item to have, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gustaffson View Post
            Hello.
            I wondered if Empyrean Helmet got some kind of errata, since it looks kinda odd. Here is a guy with tremendous power, aware of any cosmic thread around ... and plain unable to do anything about it, since no Space Travel, no Teleportation, not even the slightest Flight. Too bad ...
            I guess he'd need to use his phenomenal cosmic power to steal a starship or something. If you think about it, having all that power with no increase in mobility makes him easier to use as a character: if he could flit around and between worlds effortlessly, he could only be threatened by opponents with similar mobility. This would essentially turn combats into car chases, which could be cool, but the mobility buy-in would leave some characters behind.

In short, I think a non-mobile power item allows for more plot hooks and flexibility of story, so it's not a bug, it's a feature!

EDIT: or to put it another way, the Helm basically turns you into Darkseid, who has no particular movement power of his own either.
            Last edited by JDRook; 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM.
            My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
            My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
            [/URL]
            I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Originally posted by JDRook View Post
              I guess he'd need to use his phenomenal cosmic power to steal a starship or something. If you think about it, having all that power with no increase in mobility makes him easier to use as a character: if he could flit around and between worlds effortlessly, he could only be threatened by opponents with similar mobility. This would essentially turn combats into car chases, which could be cool, but the mobility buy-in would leave some characters behind.

In short, I think a non-mobile power item allows for more plot hooks and flexibility of story, so it's not a bug, it's a feature!
              Gosh ... I've been around for a quite short time. Still I have this ... retentive feeling most of long-time contributors around spend a good amount of time actually defending GR products, even with the most ludicrous arguments, even when there is actually nothing to defend. Imean no offense.
              Sure, this helm is definitely a cosmic device, right ? Not unlike the Negabands or Quasar bands, and looks to me like the Freedom Universe response to such items.
              Imagining a non-flying cosmic character, it is ... absurd, no other way to name it. The argument you make is a matter of personal taste, not objective fact. Figuring a cosmic champion unable to go where he is needed is ... absurd (I find no other word).
              By the way, the device is already unplayable as such : the trade-off needed to include a STR 20 and an Impervious Toughness 20 make it clearly unbalanced for a "standard" or even "not so standard" power level campaign.

PS : no. Not Darkseid. Captain Marvel. An uneffective, unflying one.
              Last edited by Gustaffson; 05-29-2015, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Hello.
                There is a difference between errata and design choice. This is a gadget, not a "guy" as you put it. The guy with the gadget may very well have all kinds of movement powers, especially in a cosmic-style campaign. All the gadget does is bump up their combat and sensory capabilities to a truly impressive level while the gadget is possessed. It's intended, I would think, as a temporary boost to allow a hero or villain to contend with some heavy hitters for a short while, which is why it is in the Empowerment section. I'm not sure I would ever want to build a permanent character around it. The backstory given makes it clear that it was designed by the Preservers to protect the cosmos in times of need. That works for me.

Of course, if you want to give it to someone with no movement powers and feel that they would be at a disadvantage, then just add some Flight or Teleport to the gadget. The Gadget Guides are a toolkit for you to use--feel free to modify the entries in any way that you like to make them fit your game.
                Hermes/Glenn Hall
                GR Cape-Wearing Freelancer

Comment

p 37 : the Cybersnake is PL 8, implying a Summon power of rank 8. Shouldn't it be built with 8x15pp = 120pp instead of 60?

Comment

The rank of the summon power determines the number of points necessary, not the PL of the summoned creature (which is up to the GM, but is almost always capped at player PL and often is a bit lower to avoid the Summon Extra Party Member power). Thus, the provided Cybersnake would be summonable with a Rank 4 Summon power, but operates at PL 8.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Mmmmmh ... Nope !
                      "A summoned minion is limited to a Power Level equal to the rank of the Summon effect used to create it", Core Rules p128.
                      Rank 4 Summon = PL 4 minion.

Comment

Huh. Yet another bizarre change from 2E to 3E that I must have missed. That's really quite odd.

Comment

Mmmmmh ... Nope !
                          "A summoned minion is limited to a Power Level equal to the rank of the Summon effect used to create it", Core Rules p128.
                          Rank 4 Summon = PL 4 minion.
                          That is a suggestion and not a hard rule. From Power Profiles: Summoning section: "The GM may wish to bend or waive the requirement for an agent to have a PL equal to or less than the Summon rank; this makes the effect more flexible and does not penalize concepts based on relatively low-cost agents with power levels closer to the series limit." Plus the official examples almost never follow that guideline, nor do most GMs impose it on their players.

Comment

Well, to me, this is Power Profiles quote which is a suggestion (the book is full of them) and the Core Rulebook which is a "hard rule", even more when describing powers.
                            And it does not sound so odd to me, especially to avoid a highly powerful damage-oriented summon unable to do anything else and very cheap to buy. With no pl limits related to summoning level, you might get an awful damage-dealer with a tiny 60 points (summon 4). If you overlook this rule, you can get a dreadful Ranged Damage 12, attack +12 for a cheap 8pp (and you have yet 30 character points left to upgrade the minion !). Take Interpose to your main character (not the summon) and for 9pp you get the same as a triggered Ranged Damage 12 (25pp, and I overlook the attack bonus cost). Even more flexible actually.
                            Sounds broken to me.
                            Last edited by Gustaffson; 09-10-2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

In Asian Weapons, there is the Nageteppo (grenades):

Lacquer Poison: Cloud Area Affliction 3 (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled; Limited Degree) - 6 points
                              Affliction is 1 point per rank, Cloud Area is +1 point per rank, Limited Degree is -1 point per rank. Shouldn't that effect only cost 3 points?
                              'Carpe Denim' - Seize the Pants.

Comment

Working...
                              X