Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minions and You!

Hi everybody,
    I'm looking at future Mutants & Masterminds releases and want to add more delightful minions to the game, and I was wondering if there are any glaring omissions that you'd like for your table. These are for lower-level statblocks, mostly ranging from PL 1 to 7, but could also include stronger generic "monsters" like the T-Rex or the Giant Robot from the Gamemaster's Guide.

Is there anything you, as a gamemaster, have been wanting quick and dirty stats for?

Re: Minions and You!

Iconic minions from other times, for time portal or travel hijinx. Cavemen, Roman legionnaires, knights, cowboys and Indians, pirates, barbarians, Mongol horsemen, that sort of thing.

Comment

Swarms! Insects or rats or nac mac feegle (or in the case of one of my one games, flying piranhas)
      Apprentice Mastermind:
      Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
        Swarms! Insects or rats or nac mac feegle (or in the case of one of my one games, flying piranhas)
        The Gamemastery Guide has an insect swarm, but maybe a more vicious swarm would fit

Comment

Honestly, I feel like the most minions are fairly interchangeable, but I would enjoy a sidebar to a chapter about how to employ them effectively. From my experience, minions can be less than a speedbump (Area Attacks or Takedown may mean dozens get wiped out in an action) or can be surprisingly deadly (even if minions can't crit, sometimes players just roll badly, and the results can skew even more for higher-PL minions), and while having minions only suffer the worst possible effect does cut down on book-keeping, it can still be tricky to track that Ninja #17 is Prone, Ninja #21 is Hindered, and Ninjas #1, #7, and #11-13 are at a -2 to defenses due to using AoA the prior turn.
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
          [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

In general ideas for minions that are more than a toughness save and a damage effect.
            Apprentice Mastermind:
            Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

I'm presuming that this theoretical Minion Manual will compile existing minion/creatures from other 3rd ed products

for something from more recent comics, there's the 'powered henchman'. you know, for when the lead writer's new pet big bad shows up with a small army of villains in tow that are little more than jumped up henchmen. see also those times where undercover missions to big villain gatherings go south and our heroes have to fight their way out through about a hundred guys, or mass breakouts at the super-prison

for a recent popular media example, the Demon Gang from the most recent Spider-Man game

Comment

Fairy and mythical creatures, demons and imps, armoured terrorists please...

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
                  I'm presuming that this theoretical Minion Manual will compile existing minion/creatures from other 3rd ed products

for something from more recent comics, there's the 'powered henchman'. you know, for when the lead writer's new pet big bad shows up with a small army of villains in tow that are little more than jumped up henchmen. see also those times where undercover missions to big villain gatherings go south and our heroes have to fight their way out through about a hundred guys, or mass breakouts at the super-prison

for a recent popular media example, the Demon Gang from the most recent Spider-Man game
                  I agree with Kreuzritter. Having some stat blocks and advice on powered minions would be pretty handy. Maybe distinguish them between power types (mystical, gadgets, etc.)?
                  DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
                  [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Girl View Post
                    Is there anything you, as a gamemaster, have been wanting quick and dirty stats for?
                    Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
                    In general ideas for minions that are more than a toughness save and a damage effect.
                    Personally I've found that just setting minions' PL as their "almost everything" rank can be the quickest and dirtiest, and just let descriptor cover the rest.

Super-soldier serum treated goons with blasters: PL5 or 6, all checks and saves also 5 or 6, maybe a little higher on the ranged damage, a little lower on Will.
                    Street-level ninja hordes: PL3-4, same again. Maybe double rank on Stealth (6-8), lower rank on throwing stars.
                    Pack of wild dogs/wolves: 3s across the board, maybe 4s if they're robots/zombies/supernatural/etc.

I support the idea of a sourcebook but there should be at least a paragraph describing how simple and effective it is to do something like the above. I love giving all kinds of detail to characters, but if they don't have a name or a "speaking part" why go to all the trouble?
                    My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
                    My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
                    [/URL]
                    I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

I personally would like some non-combat focused minions, like the support crew of a ship or spaceship for example.

Btw, i know this was to be minions focused for the GM, but would be cool if was some for being used by the PCs too, like the one my last character uses in his lair, the GM house ruled that i could use him to construct Inventions if i designed them, like a assembly bot.

Comment

Good input over all. The note about some extra guidelines on how to effectively use Minions is especially great insight! Thank you all!

And to head of any speculation, we're not planning a Minion Manual, but we do have some new campaign- and setting-focused books that I'm currently outlining that will benefit from adding new minions. I'll see how much else I'm allowed to share at this point

Comment

That's very much appreciated, Omega Girl! Especially as I know you've been plenty busy with Modern AGE/World of Lazarus (O-Girl is the author, for those who weren't aware).

Specifically regarding minions, I'd suggest "official" versions of the various minion advantages/rules from Misfit Studios A Better Mousetrap, guidelines for non-combat support organizations (such as AIM, which supplies weapons and inventions but doesn't really launch many evil schemes, or the Newsboy Army from Seven Soldiers); especially in the social media era, such groups can easily come together and disperse in very short order.

Different tiers of minions might also be addressed-the X-Men can pretty easily handle most "ordinary" Sentinels, for example, but the anti-mutant robots usually can't be one-punched by all but their most powerful members (elite versions would be full-fledged NPC villains).

And of course, discussion of the roles various mooks, monsters, and minions play in different campaigns (and specifically in Earth-Prime) is always welcome.

All my best.
                          Last edited by greycrusader; 12-03-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I would urge more minions that don't just use damage, or minions that use damage for non-toughness.

It is my belief that Impervious was nerfed into near-uselessnes in M&M 3rd (in my games I reduced it to a flat, full rank, 1 cost simply because it is completely useless) because way too many minions and villains only used basic damage. I would like to see some minions that *effectively* use non-damage and alternative saves.

Including tactics that can make them legitimate threats.

Effective use of things like setup, team attack, etc.

Comment

Minions, complete with gear, from specific organization types / categories would be most useful to me.
                              Super soldier group, super science group, invading aliens, beast kingdom (Gorilla City), undersea kingdom, evil dictator troops, super spies (SHIELD), super agents (Checkmate), etc.
                              Including some interchangeable bits (winged aliens,etc.), Vehicles, gear, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X